Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - First gameplay video and everything you need to know

Hideo Kojima has just wrapped up the first ever public showing of the newly announced Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes at PAX 2012.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is an upcoming open world title in the Metal Gear Solid universe, Kojima is heavily involved with the creation and also considers it a prequel to MGS5. There is currently no release date for MGS:GZ.

The game runs on Konami's fancy new engine the Fox Engine, which is based on current generation technology but scalable for any console coming out in the next few years. and is confirmed for PS3 at the present moment.

The PAX 2012 demo was running on a PC with the equivalent specifications of a PS3, Polygon were told earlier.

"There are a lot of amazing game engines out there such as the CryEngine and Unreal engine, but we wanted to get in there and tweak ourselves." Kojima said at the PAX 2012 keynote event. "Kojima Productions wanted to make their game development more efficient, in terms of creating a cross platform game engine that supported cloud based technology. You' can use it to make a FPS, an adventure game like Uncharted, or something on Rails."

Kojima went on to add "A Silent Hill, possibly.."

Ground Zeroes lead character is once again, the legendary Big Boss last seen in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker on the PSP.

Edited On 01 Sep, 2012

Comments
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
A Kojima directed Silent Hill would be superb.
Stabber's avatar
Stabber 4 years ago
loved all of the metal gear games. seeing the gameplay and being open world "OMG must get!" xD
shane_5121's avatar
shane_5121 4 years ago
OMG this is just awesome stuff! I love the fact that this game will be set shortly after peace walker and mgs3! Mgs3 was probably the best is the series in terms of setting and story. The graphics are amazing not to mention the attention to detail i.e. watching the rain trickle in streams down the rocks! Reminds me of MGS2 on board the tanker! And to think this is only a prologue to mgs5! Great stuff ahead me thinks!
uncleniccius's avatar
uncleniccius 4 years ago
Open world Metal Gear Solid that looks simply stunning!?!!? Hideo Kojima, you do spoil us. This is now one of my most anticipated games... I look forward to hearing more!
Ant's avatar
Ant 4 years ago
A "Gameplay" video that's 98% cutscene, sounds about right for an MGS I suppose. Looks great, but will wait for more details before deciding whether to pick it up.
sam_w's avatar
sam_w 4 years ago
I assume this is PC footage? :P
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
I would quite like to see a Kojima directed Silent Hill. Would be really weird. Besides, after what those damned yanks are doing to it, it can only be up from here
CookieMcCrumble's avatar
CookieMcCrumble 4 years ago
The idea of an open world metal gear rather excites me. Loving the Just Cause 2 style air drops. Can't wait to see more.
GADG3T87's avatar
GADG3T87 4 years ago
I'm a huge MGS fan and have been playing since the launch of the original, I can't wait for this! as soon as I see a solid release date it's getting pre-ordered. I thought Hideo Kojima was stepping back from MGS, looks like he just can't keep away, which is a good thing. I have to admit RISING looks like a disappointment to me, because as far as I'm concerened Metal Gear should always be a stealth espionage game and not a hack and slash even if it is Raiden.
GUY 4 years ago
There will come a time where Kojima finally manages to knit together the plot threads of Metal Gear, Policenauts, Snatcher and Zone of the Enders. It'll be a 100hr, randomly-generated roguelike dating-sim with arcade-racer elements and not a single one of us will hesitate in buying it all the same. The man's a wizard.
Konakona's avatar
Konakona 4 years ago
This is going to be a must buy. After watching the gameplay videos, I have now completely forgotten about Metal Gear Rising. The is going to be the game of the decade!
extermin8or's avatar
extermin8or 4 years ago
This game looks amazing, hope we get a concrete release date soon and that it's next year; also watch dogs shown by ubisoft is another open world game that looks pretty and will hopefully be current gen and should be out next june ish. Next years "Must have games list" is steadily growing :P
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
This is undoubtedly one of the most anticipated games. I loved playing mgs3 and when I looked at the direction of the MGS regarding rising I was a bit worried I would go off the franchise. I'm now happy to say that this game looks simply stunning and the open world setting will definitely pack a punch in the new title. I'm literally going hide in my locker now and pretend I'm big boss.,.,.,,haha