STN Spotlight - Wonderbook: Book of Spells

Sony's Wonderbook: Book of Spells has certainly been met with a mixed reaction. Having spent 15 minutes presenting it during the most recent E3, the publisher was widely criticised, however this is a game which could be somewhat of a darkhorse for the company.

The main selling point behind Wonderbook is, without a doubt, families. It's easy to see why it'll go down well with children given that its first story if based roughly on the world of Harry Potter. Book of Spells - the first story in what will be an even expanding library - consists of new and original stories from Harry Potter author J.K Rowling. Using augmented reality, you'll use your PlayStation Move and PlayStation Eye to make the Book of Spells come to life on screen. This will allow both you and your children to learn, practice and cast spells, which will no doubt appeal to a lot of youngsters out there.

In the future Wonderbook will also be supported by other popular stories coming from big hitters such as Disney and the BBC; the latter of which will release a tale based on Walking with Dinosaurs. In addition a new, film noir-style detective game, known as Diggs Nightcrawler, will also be released in the near future.

Sure, Wonderbook may not appeal to core gamers, but anyone with children will see this as a great idea. My children love video games, and now they can read and learn at the same time. I could even see the possibility of this being used in infant schools to make lessons more interactive and fun. The potential is huge.

With the support promised for this game, Wonderbook could be a massive hit, which in turn could also mean a new lease of life for both PS Move and the PS3. SCEE just needs to market this game right, because if console owning parents hear about it, they'll buy it, of that there is no doubt.

Wonderbook: Book of Spells arrives this November. You can pre-order your copy below.

Edited On 07 Sep, 2012

Comments
no47's avatar
no47 4 years ago
This game looks pretty good for a move game. I will probably pick it up for my nephew at some point though as he's interested in Harry Potter and this game seems like he would enjoy it.
Cloudedpaul's avatar
Cloudedpaul 4 years ago
my son would love this, cant wait to see what other books the announce for this, i personally would like to see some more adultish books such as hitch hikers guide or dirk gently, could be very entertaining but then again adults are not really sonys target audience with this
Bhamkeyx's avatar
Bhamkeyx 4 years ago
I am not a fan of Move and this new accessory is not for me either, even though I am sure this will be a great gift for kids. I would rather see accessories such as Move to be removed as most if not all games do not work well with the Move and it has a negative effect on the experience and I am a little sceptic of this product. The Playstation Eye is not doing too well either, I am just waiting when will Sony decide that these products do not work with games too well and I believe it is just a waste of money. I prefer playing my games the traditional way using the controller. The Eye and Move are unnecessary products which instead of improving gaming experience it does the opposite.
Cloudedpaul's avatar
move is fantastic, which games in particular do you find it doesnt work well with? im my experience it has worked brilliantly with every games (except racket sports) with a special mention going to killzone 3, you could turn off the hud and just use the sharpshooter and your own aiming skill to play, plus looking down the gun like it had a sight and bringing it up on the gave the effect of having the scope on the gun, tumble was another fantastic game it worked really well with and was very addictive, all in all its a nice little addon and thats all it was ever meant to be, something to add to the over all experience not replace the traditional dual shock
Cloudedpaul 4 years ago
Bhamkeyx's avatar
My experience with Move was not good, I did try playing the Killzone 3 Ninja Gaiden 3 and Resident Evil 5 using move but it just did not seem to work well, maybe The move just isn't for me. I heared a lot negatives about the Xbox 360 Kinect, in my opinion both of these products bring frustration instead of enjoyment. In the future I'm ceraintly going to try to play available games on move to see improvements.
Bhamkeyx 4 years ago
Bhamkeyx's avatar
Cloudedpaul which games would you suggest to play with both the controller and move? Maybe if I try to play some other games with Move my opinion of it will change and I could enjoy re-playing games using a different gameplay method.
Bhamkeyx 4 years ago
Cloudedpaul's avatar
well those are probably some of the best, its not easy to get strait away though, it took me quite a bit of time getting used to turning with the move and strafing with controller,i could recommend things like tumble and sports champions although they are move only, if you have hustle kings that supports move and is quite good, another good one is socom, and resistance 3
Cloudedpaul 4 years ago
adwan's avatar
High Velocity Bowl is another game that works well with move. Does get a bit of getting used to be but in the end makes much more sense than using a controller. Heavy Rain is good with the Move controller as well, the quick time elements just lend itself perfectly to the Move controller.
adwan 4 years ago
no47's avatar
Apart from the PS Move, another great little game for the PS3 which utilizes the PS Eye is Eye of Judgment. This is a TCG/CCG turn based battle game using numerous creature cards which you use to batlle with on a 9 field (3x3 retangular grid), ie mat. This game is really fun and easy to get into, however for certain challenges against the CPU and other players it will require strategic thinking on your part, ie deck building for the perfect hand in order to utilize your mana effectively, board position, etc. It's a really quite deep and stategic game to go too far in depth with on a discussion board/forum, so if your interested i suggest you look it up. I promise you wont regret it.
no47 4 years ago
Cloudedpaul's avatar
Cloudedpaul 4 years ago
i do understand your frustration and if you dont stick with something like killzone 3 its easy to quit using move and just use the controller, i finished the whole campaign with the move and the sharpshooter and i spent most of the game pissed at it! but once i had finished i hit the multiplayer and i could shoot people without needing to turn and i had almost point and shoot with mouse like accuracy
adwan's avatar
adwan 4 years ago
I think Wonderbook could be a great thing for kids and really help Sony to grab some of the younger audience Nintendo has. It's good to see Sony pushing devlopment of AR, I really don't think there is enough use of it at the moment and it's quite a cool piece of tech that has been knocking around for quite some time now. If the figures weren't there for Sony to make money from Move and Wonderbook they wouldn't bother with it.
Cloudedpaul's avatar
i hope your right because if its doesn't do well then you will be stuck with about 3 or 4 books to use on it, they will need a constant monthly release or psn release or it will just get dropped, kids get bored easy
Cloudedpaul 4 years ago
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
My Kids have actually tried Wonderbook before it was announced at E3 and they loved it. It's got a real Harry Potter feel to it and after the initial learning curve is very easy to pick up and play. I never knew it was related to HP at the time, but guessed it was. There are some great possibilities here really.
adwan's avatar
I remember you mentioning a while ago that your kids had tried it and ejoyed it. This is the key thing, it's aimed and kids and families, so of course us 20somethings aren't going to be that interested, but I already know once my son is old enough in 12 months or so he's going to love this sort of thing. Yes support is going to be important and so will advertising and promotion of Wonderbook, but getting Harry Potter and BBC on it will make a big difference straight away. I can see lot's of stuff becoming available through PSN for this.
adwan 4 years ago