WiiU doesn't fit for Bethedsa

Bethedsa's PR and marketing VP Pete Hines has suggested that the publisher may not be adding its support to Nintendo's WiiU.

Speaking in the latest issue of MCV (via VG), Hines said that Bethesda's "approach has been to put [its] games out on all of the platforms that will support them.

"So far the Wii hasn't fitted into that. Whether Wii U does down the road is TBD."

There is certainly plenty of debate as to whether Nintendo will do its upmost to gain third party support this time around. In the past Nintendo has certainly been found lacking when it came to getting the big name third party franchises on its systems.

At least this time around things have started off well. Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 and Darksiders II are all currently confirmed for the system and although these are older titles (or will be by the time the WiiU arrives), at least it shows that Nintendo is making an effort.

It's hard to tell how much support WiiU will receive in the future, but that may very well depend on how well the system sells once it's finally released.

Edited On 07 Sep, 2012

Comments
adwan's avatar
adwan 4 years ago
I'm not surprised by this comment from Bethesda. They almost strike me as only interested in doing games for PC and Xbox and even the. I'm sure they only do Xbox as it's the same tech as a PC. They certainly don't seem to like working with the ps3, and the Wii U stands no chance!
no47's avatar
no47 4 years ago
If the Wii U is a big seller (which is a given) then of course Bethesda will support it. The fan base will be so huge that Bethesda would miss out on alot of potential sales and revenue by not supporting the system.
adwan's avatar
You say that yet they completely refused to support the Wii despite it's quite frankly huge install base. What's going to different with the Wii U? It clearly won't match the next Xbox or playstation for power so it will have to be developed for separately which is what probably put developers like Bethesda off the Wii.
adwan 4 years ago
no47's avatar
Yes, but the Wii was basically just a Gamecube 1.5, and aimed at the casual side of the market, ie had plenty of shovelware games on the system. The Wii U is different, as it is on par, ie slightly better specs than the 360 and PS3 so can handle alot more graphic/memory intense games which appeal to the hardcore audience as well. Bethesda are known for there huge open world RPG games which the Wii couldn't handle, but the Wii U can, so of course they will develop games on the system.
no47 4 years ago
adwan's avatar
I have no doubt that th Wii U will now be able to handle huge open world rpg games but Bethesda will be looking at it from the point of view of is it going to be as powerful as the next Xbox or Playstation which I doubt it will be. So they either have to do one of two things, develop games that are just for the Wii U or down port any games the develop for the next gen consoles, which I can see them doing neither.
adwan 4 years ago
Cloudedpaul's avatar
Cloudedpaul 4 years ago
im sure wii u future owners are screaming out now (sarcasm), good dodge from shoddy, glitchy and badly supported games, trust me wii owner/future owners, your not missing out on much!
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I see the Wii U as more of a family orientated console. And tbh I wouldn't want to sit down with my whole family and play a Bethesda game like skyrim! I think that Nintendo shouldn't worry about this as they have brands such as Mario, Zelda and sonic which will guarentee them sales. In my opinion the more core games will always be more avail le to Xbox, ps3 and pc owners
adwan's avatar
Nintendo have always been seen as being more family orientated, but with the Wii U I think they are trying to get more core gamers on board by trying to get more third party games on to the console.
adwan 4 years ago
Greigyboii's avatar
Greigyboii 4 years ago
I am pretty sure many developers will take the stance that Bethesda are taking, or at least make one game and realise it might be a waste of their time. I really don't see the WiiU entering the hardcore gamer market, especially with PS4/720 around the corner. I think all my interest in the WiiU disappeared as soon as Xbox SmartGlass was announced which would allow me to use my Nexus 7 with games later this year without forking out money for a console I won't really use.
CookieMcCrumble's avatar
CookieMcCrumble 4 years ago
No great surprise from Bethesda, they're all about PC and XBox now, and this proves it - pretty much avoiding development on a new platform. We've seen their failures in developing for PS3, which I still believe looks like more than just simple "architecture optimisation". I think someone has very bulky pockets somewhere.