Koller: Sony discouraging third party ports on PS Vita

Sony's marketing VP for handhelds and consoles John Koller has said that the company is discouraging third party publishers from releasing ports of console games on the PS Vita.

"The issue that happened with PSP is we got overrun with ports," Koller explained to Gamasutra. "It became very difficult for us to define what made PSP unique. The content development became a bit unstructured or decentralized, in that we got a lot of content that was on PlayStation 2 and got thrown over to the handheld."
In this respect, Koller believes Sony has learned its lesson with that problem on PSP and is determined to avoid repeating that mistake on PS Vita, adding that the company is strongly recommending against and guiding publishers away from ports.

With this in mind, Koller says that Sony is asking publishers to "Follow what Ubisoft is doing with Assassin's Creed. Follow what Activision is doing with Call of Duty."

"The messaging is similar [between PSP and PS Vita]," Koller says, "but I think the output is going to be quite different."

Edited On 09 Sep, 2012

Comments
adwan's avatar
adwan 4 years ago
This is good to hear. The Vita needs good quality AAA exclusives to make people want to buy it. Why get a Vita copy of a game that will look and play better on your home console. All ports should be included in the cross-buy scheme to help Vita console sales and to help encourage developers to make exclusive Vita only games.
ozon92's avatar
I just fail to see how this is good... I mean... not entirely... But, at this point the more games the better... I feel like I've got through the vast majority of vita exclusives and I dislike that greatly... I love ports! I just want them to be handled well... And with Sony's new cross-buy feature, it can only mean good surely?
ozon92 4 years ago
shenmue4real's avatar
shenmue4real 4 years ago
It makes sense in the Vita's case it needs big new games to help it actually sell. Also needs a price cut.
hXcPete's avatar
hXcPete 4 years ago
..If you ask me they should let anything on the Vita, if it's a port it can be cheaper or something but there's such little support for the handheld they should welcome anything they can get.
sam_w's avatar
sam_w 4 years ago
I love my Vita, but Sony definitely need to keep the exclusives coming! The new Killzone and Assassin's Creed games looks very impressive though, so more of that please, if you're reading Sony ;)
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Sony need to push hard for exclusive spin offs from the most popular franchises to help sales, and actualy give the Vita a game library worth talking about. Something Mass Effect related would go down a treat
There's nothing wrong with the odd port of a console game on to a handheld, but they really went mad with it on the PSP. Nice to see Sony have learned their lesson, maybe they will actually be able to compete with Nintendo this generation of handhelds.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Discouraging ports? That's not such a great idea seeing as some of the best Vita games so far have been updated ports of some really great games. Rayman Origins on Vita for example is easily the best version of that game, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma is pretty fantastic too. Let people release what they want on it you fools, all you need to do is make sure the pricing is kept at a reasonable level.
skooks's avatar
skooks 4 years ago
This is great to hear as this was part of why the PSP never really won me over. Aside from RPGs and the occasional quirky title, I was always put off by the number of ports and rehashes of PS2 games. On the market side of things, I also think it's why it could never really compete with the DS outside of Japan. The content just wasn't there. Hopefully this will be good news for the Vita, which I hear seems to be struggling.
adwan's avatar
Exactly, you see very few ports of Wii games ending up on the DS/3DS, so why should be acceptable for it to happen with the PSVita? Spin offs of top console games is one way, but proper exclusives, like Soul Sacrifice is what is needed, or even games that are on the 3DS only at the moment could be ported over. The PSVita needs some good cheap casual games as well as full on hardcore games like Killzone and Assassins Creed. It needs small iOS style mobile games, more games like Motorstorm RC and Puddle, and even some that come in at the £3 and under mark.
adwan 4 years ago