Sony seems to be readying a new AR head-mounted device for reveal at this year's Tokyo Game Show.
Spotted by NeoGaf member onQ123, a video clip on Sony's Official YouTube channels shows a prototype of the device, along with the following google translated text:
- People, how far immersive?
- It experiments explore the possibility of new entertainment
- "Institute immersive pleasure HMZ - head mounted display
- Has been developed for the open experiment, models with head tracking system / live camera
- Tokyo Game Show head-mounted display ?PROTOTYPE-SR? Limited 2012 Specifications
- ? jointly developed with RIKEN team Fujii
- New 360 degree immersive entertainment sensation
- World of the music of the movie world flew in to the real world
- Experiments conducted public 9/22, 23, (Deadline September 13, 2012) in recruiting an experience
- You will witness the future of entertainment
Other companies, such as Valve, are also working on AR head mounted displays. Looks like this is the new 3D.