Apple announces iPhone 5

Apple has just this minute announced the iPhone 5, a newly designed model made of Aluminium and Glass.

The new iPhone is described as the world's thinnest smartphone. It weighs 112 grams and 20% lighter than the 4S. It also comes in at just 7.6mm thick, 18% thinner than before. Other changes add a 326ppi Retina display which is 4-inches tall. The phone also has a 1136 x 640 resolution.

In addition to the above, we are also told that the phone battery now gives 8 hours of 3G or LTE talk time or browsing. 10 hours on WiFi browsing. The camera has also been improved, giving a 8-megapixel sensor, a 5-element lens and f/2.4 aperture. Apple also finally confirmed a Panorama mode.

Other improvements include changes to video, facetime, enhanced audio, while the new phone also has what Apple describe as ultrafast Wireless, supporting GPRS, EDGE, EV-DO, HSPA, HSPA+, DC-HSDPA and LTE.

The iPhone 5 will also include a new connector called Lightning, which runs faster. If you have old docks Apple will be releasing adaptors for this.

As for software, Apple says that all the first-party apps have been optimized for the new phone, for example, in Calendar we see a full five-day workweek. Keynote, Pages, Numbers all take advantage of the new display, along with Garage Band and iMovie too.

EA also hit the stage to show off Real Racing 3, which in itself also looked very impressive.

Pricing was stated at $199 for 16GB. $299 for 32GB, $399 for 64GB on contract (so the same price as the 4S), while Pre-orders start on Friday the 14th. Shipping on September 21st in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore. Other countries follow on September 28.

Edited On 12 Sep, 2012

Comments
DubbleJd's avatar
DubbleJd 4 years ago
Tbh i can't understand why people break their necks to buy on day one, obviously if they're in need of a new phone then fair enough. I have the Galaxy S2 but i haven't run out to buy the S3 as theres nowt wrong with the one i've got
Greigyboii's avatar
Greigyboii 4 years ago
I am severely disappointed with the iPhone 5 - it is an iPhone 4s with an extra row of tiles. Where is the innovation in that? I was thinking it might have been casing something more exciting, nope. Ah well
screally's avatar
screally 4 years ago
As long as the battery lasts a day's use, I'm in.
Wizowes's avatar
Wizowes 4 years ago
I am not too bothered about the iphone 5 to be honest. looks the same to me, but thats just my opinion
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
i dont give one about these phones i have 3g i really dont care
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Im pretty happy with my HTC windows phone. Can play xbox live games on it and everything
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Honestly, apple technology does nothing for me. This whole so called social revolution is just a bit empty for my liking. It always seems to be a new shiney way to use Facebook outside and the apps seem to just be any old garbage Apple lets pass through the moderation process. Anyone else agree?
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
looks ok but i agree with everyone else, why this big who haa about apple products?
adwan's avatar
There computers are much better to use than a PC for certain things. I'm a graphic designer and it's much better for that sort of work. PC will always be better for gaming for now and for more factual based work, i.e. accounts etc. As for the phones and the ipads, I see very little difference in them all to be honest now. It used to be that Apple had the better apps but Android is on a par now pretty much. Apple do overcharge for most of their products though. I have an iPhone 4 and probably will continue to stick with it after my contract renewal in December. I plan on going on to a 1 month rolling contract that will be half the price of my current one.
adwan 4 years ago
Bhamkeyx's avatar
Bhamkeyx 4 years ago
I glad I'm not into purchasing these ridicilously high priced phones, I bet the difference between Iphone 5 and Iphone 4s is minimum, couple apps and maybe lighter. I don't think that Apple products are worth that amount of money.
there releasing it at the same price as the 4s when it first got released and its more a drastic change from the 4-4s lol im getting it myself but only as a pay as you go, cant warrant spending £47 pounds a month on a 2 year contract >.<
Baoson 4 years ago
KARL 4 years ago
Nothing really changed but why change a winning formula
stevieg83's avatar
stevieg83 4 years ago
Will definatley be gettig it but only once my current contract runs out next month, hopefully by then they iron out any bugs or teething problems