Apple releases iOS 6

This evening, Apple released iOS 6 to users around the world, making the download available to users of recent iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch models.

The new software adds over 200 new features, including Apple's own Maps app, Facebook integration, Siri improvements, Apple's new Passbook digital wallet app, and more.

iOS 6 is compatible with the third-generation iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and fourth-generation iPod touch. It will also ship on the iPhone 5, which launches on Friday, and on the fifth-generation iPod touch launching next month.

It's a pretty hefty update in terms of size, my download through iTunes was around 950mb. Though if you decide to download on your device it will knock the size down to around 600mb.

So who is getting an iPhone 5 on Friday?

Edited On 19 Sep, 2012

Comments
Laura_1's avatar
Laura_1 4 years ago
Although I'm not getting the iPhone 5, I'm very happy still with my 4. I haven't yet updated to iOS 6 on my phone. I tend to test the water a bit and let other people download it just in case their are problems. I remember updating my old 3G and it was painfully slow until I sold it! My 3rd gen iPad seems to be running fine though, looking forward to browsing through the new additions! :)
ukdazza's avatar
ukdazza 4 years ago
I was mildly excited by the announcement of the iPhone 5. Once it was announced I was not that interested. Having owned an iPhone Original from launch until 2009 I am more than happy to keep the iPhone 4. Maybe grab one of the iPhone 4S's that will be on eBay, but I'm not fussed by a 5.
juschris07's avatar
juschris07 4 years ago
Well as always when apple release a new update there's always a problem and iOS 6 wasn't any different some users couldn't connect to any wifi networks for a couple of hours. But the problem seems to be fixed but the actual iOS 6 looks smart and may take a bit of getting yes to .
CookieMcCrumble's avatar
CookieMcCrumble 4 years ago
Definitely not getting an iPhone 5 but will update my iPad as soon as I can. The phone itself not enough of an update for me to warrant spending a fortune on it.
Kizzy's avatar
Kizzy 4 years ago
It seems some of these updates take a bit of time, I know someone currently downloading it and from the sounds of it, the update takes a while.
Greigyboii's avatar
And once the update has been installed there are several issues affecting its users. sigh
Greigyboii 4 years ago
hallben's avatar
hallben 4 years ago
I think I shall wait a while before downloading and installing this. Best to be safe, see what reports are like of faults occurring before taking the plunge.
b3media's avatar
b3media 4 years ago
Everything ran a lot smoother with this upgrade than it did last year. But I suppose most of my trouble last year was down to MobileMe being switched over to iCloud! I'll be getting the iPhone 5 in November as that's the earliest I can upgrade. I went out and bought the iPhone 4S last year. I don't know I did it as I already had an iPhone 4... The reason I bought it was Siri, and it didn't even work in the UK! So I basically spent £500 on a phone that was the same as I already had! Siri is a lot better with this upgrade though. It is actually useful!
dilbo99's avatar
dilbo99 4 years ago
I am yet to update, having read about various issues people are having, just going to wait for 6.01
b3media's avatar
What issues are those? My 4S runs fine. Battery life as actually improved with the upgrade, so it's worth it just for that! The only issues I've had really are the new maps app, great idea, and great execution of the app, but the actual map data seems to be ten years behind! Then there's the lack of a stock YouTube app, which was easily fixed by a download from the app store which is actually far superior to the stock one anyway! The new App Store and iTunes Store layout is miles better and it doesn't do that annoying thing of going back to the home screen every time you put an app on to download.
b3media 4 years ago