Open world Half-Life 3 due next year?

Half-Life 3 is an open world shooter and will launch in 2013, according to a new report.

Journaldugamer (via VG247) spoke to a source who claims that Half-Life 3 features a ?total revision? following a ?very chaotic? development schedule.

Apparently the game was developer as a straight-up shooter but the source suggests that ?failed,? so Valve decided to go in a different direction; one that involves puzzles and exploration. In addition, the source also claims Half-Life 3 will have a ?open-world, quests and NPCs.?

Half-Life 3, which will be a full game in its own right, rather than a new episode, is said to be on course for 2013, although formats have not been mentioned. We remain sceptical regarding this news, although Valve have teased that Half-Life 3 will eventually arrive.

Could it be a launch title for one of the new as-yet-unannounced consoles from Sony or MS? If it's real, it'll definitely arrive on PC, you can be sure of that.

Edited On 20 Sep, 2012

Comments
yellowned's avatar
yellowned 4 years ago
Interesting. It'd make sense that the reason the development time has been so long would be due to a complete overhaul of the game. I hope we get a teaser soon, we've been waiting years for this!
Laura_1's avatar
Laura_1 4 years ago
I agree, interesting. HL3 seems to be the biggest secret in gaming right now. I'd love it to be announced soon! Been waiting too long.
SplitCoreGaming's avatar
SplitCoreGaming 4 years ago
The problem we so many revisions is threw development games tend to loose there identity as you are longer designing towards a idea but more so the technology available. It worries me it has been reset so many times. I remember the Hydra that was meant to be in Half Life 2 and near its release date a 'convenient' leak happen which was far from completed. Valve turned around and tried saying due to the leak they need to restart again to avoid spoiler leaks....
Kizzy's avatar
Kizzy 4 years ago
Open world Half Life?! This could be EPIC! xD
hallben's avatar
hallben 4 years ago
Bad idea IMO. Half Life is a structured well constructed and very scripted serious of games. What Valve EXCEL at is a well told narrative done in an unobtrusive manner that only works due to its scripted nature. This cant work in an open world setting. Personally I think this yet another wishful rumour that will have no basis in foundation.
TheFlyingToaster's avatar
TheFlyingToaster 4 years ago
Not convinced by the open world thing but I seriously hope Half Life 3 shows up soon, love the series and can't wait for another full game. Just the mention of it makes me want to replay 2 and the episodes :P.
EDGARS 4 years ago
Open world Half Life, huh. They have to screw everything up these days, don't they...
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
How I wish I had it in me to just happily believe this news. Gabe has killed every part of me that believes anything at all HL3 related
discordia's avatar
discordia 4 years ago
Whilst I can understand and at points agree with some of the comments here, I think an open-world Half-Life would be a fitting sequel to HL2 + Episodes 1 and 2, because the cliffhanger ending of Episode 2 has them travelling quite a distance for their next challenge and undertaking a completely different objective to what took place so far in Half-Life 2 (won't spoil it with any specific details for those who have yet to play it). Following on from this, an open-world would allow the game to fully explore the new location and tie in with Portal a great deal more than they already have (with the small cameo part in Portal 2 functioning as a nice lead-in). It would also allow them to tell a lot more story than Half-Life 2 and Episodes, as they could fit a lot more game-play and 'Lore', as they'd be re-utilising same or similar environments, as well as allowing for discovery in the location, rather than progressive journey from place to place with no genuine epiphanies, other than what is directly told to you. One of my university lecturers used to tell us, "a good storyteller shows you something and allows you to make the discovery or connection yourself, resulting in a sense of realisation and achievement. a bad storyteller tells you each and every thing, leaving you to nod your head and say "okay, okay, i get it, without any working out at all."
ozon92's avatar
ozon92 4 years ago
Omg HALF LIFE 3!!!>!>!!>!?!?! But we all know it won't be called that... Because Valve can't count to 3... Bring it on! Let me be the FREEMAN!!!!
b3media's avatar
b3media 4 years ago
Hmmm... I'm rather split by this decision. I love Half-Life the way it is, so if it ain't broke don't fix it! Such as Black Mesa, which Valve released for free!!! But on the other hand, I'd find it interested to see how they executed something like this! I suppose time will tell!
rjc's avatar
rjc 4 years ago
Please be true. Please be true. One of my favourite gaming series. Desperate for that third game.