Yoshida disappointed by lack of Third Party PS Vita support

Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida has told Gamasutra that he is 'disappointed' by the lack of third party support for PS Vita.

"One thing that was surprising and disappointing to us was the [lower] number of third parties to come out [in support] after launch.

"In retrospect, there are so many options for publishers now that we cannot take it for granted that our new platform would be supported by third parties, like [it would've been] many years ago."

Yoshida does add that Sony is "working harder with our third party relations department to secure more content for PS Vita," adding that once publishers understand what the machine can do, then they are more likely to support the device.

"We create our content, and that can be used to evangelize some functionalities of the platforms for third party purposes."

One thing that will convince Third Party publishers to support the device is sales, however at the moment Vita is a bit of a slow starter and with no price cut till at least 2013 this may continue for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps titles such as the wonderful LittleBigPlanet, Need for Speed: Most Wanted and the very exciting Assassin's Creed III: Liberations can make a difference, for the Vita's sake, lets hope so.

Edited On 01 Oct, 2012

shenmue4real's avatar
shenmue4real 4 years ago
I'm surprised at the lack of support early on but not so much right now with it having a hard time getting past 2M worldwide sales.
rjc's avatar
Impossible to expect third parties to support the Vita with its current sales figures. If Sony made new IPs, only for Vita, it'd sell by the bucket load.
rjc 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
No it wouldn't. New IPs don't sell new hardware, you need only look at Nintendo's desperate scramble for every established IP they can get for the Wii U over the past month or so to see that game companies realise this. The only things that'll help the Vita at this stage are a significant price cut and more big name franchise titles like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. A new GTA title next year would prbably make a big difference for one example...
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
warden976's avatar
warden976 4 years ago
it's a shame as it's such a good device. they showed that with LBP and uncharted.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Yeah I am surprised how so few games have come out for the system and with EA just porting the original FIFA for FIFA 13 (thanks shopto for pointing it out in your review) it does seem not many people taking it seriously which is a shame.
Freethinker101's avatar
Freethinker101 4 years ago
Being an early adopter is always hard. I think the vita will do really well at Christmas and what with the cross buy on at least 2 titles things can only get better...... I hope or I just wasted 200 squid.
Jimbo_1's avatar
Jimbo_1 4 years ago
I am really enjoying the Vita but Sony should try and get more established games onto it and not just crap opps not every one likes COD and they are hoping COD sell loads but made buy a crappy developer on the Vita
Nijogi's avatar
Nijogi 4 years ago
I wish they could get some more new games secured for the vita. A lot of the games I saw at TGS were either ports of old games or action Monster Hunter styled games. Sony should try to get Square-Enix involved.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Square-Enix are in utter chaos right now, so I wouldn't bank on many new title announcements from them, Vita or otherwise, in the near future as word is most of their teams have been redirected to the task of 'fixing' Final Fantasy XIV, the most expensive disaster they've had yet. If not for how badly that game messed up, we'd probably have our Vita version of FFX by now.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
The sooner strong 3rd party support kicks in the better. I'd hate to think I spent 180 notes on a vita and only end up playing Liberation
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
The shopto commet section sucks on the vita as I have just proven
PrometheusFan's avatar
It sucks full stop. One of the worst put together comment systems on a gaming news site I've ever seen.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
I dont understand why handheld consoles always have a rough start. Both the 3DS and the Vita both look really good. Granted, I dont own one but I plan to own both sometime in the future.
b3media's avatar
b3media 4 years ago
Yet to purchase one yet, purely down to the lack of content! Hopefully 2013 will be kinder to the vita.
hallben's avatar
hallben 4 years ago
Its gutting frankly. I love the device and I want more original and fresh IP for it, as do we all. But it's just not happening, frankly at this point I suspect it never will.