PS3 sales rocket 138 percent following super slims arrival

Sales of Sony's PS3 rocketed 138% over last week following the release of Sony's PS3 'Super Slim' 500GB console. The debuts console accounted for 37% of all PS3's sold last week.

Other factors for the rise could include the fact that FIFA 13 sold one million copies on its debut week, which would no doubt have helped Sony's decision to release the new console last week.

FIFA 13 was also bundled with the new PS3 at some retailers, although no data has yet been released to show which formats the game sold best on.

Edited On 01 Oct, 2012

Comments
shenmue4real's avatar
shenmue4real 4 years ago
My PS3 has sounded like it's on deaths door for a while so if it does bite the bucket i might just get this rather than pay Sony £130+ to replace mine ugly PS3 phat.
warden976's avatar
warden976 4 years ago
another hardware revision... i wish they'd invest more in software than new revisions
rjc's avatar
warden, Sony have a decent amount of games coming out for the PS3. Revisions are needed for them to save money, thus meaning more cash for games etc.
rjc 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Sony invest more in first party game output than Microsoft and Nintendo combined last I heard. Hence the PS3 having a much busier release schedule than Wii or 360 the past couple of years.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I still have my 60GB original PS3 but think it will be hard to replace once it does die but at the moment still going strong. Hopefully it will keep going for a couple more years.
hopeless_savage's avatar
hopeless_savage 4 years ago
Oh you're lucky Bindiana. My original 60gb died about 2 years ago :( I got the yellow light of death. Managed to resolder it and it worked for another 3 months then it went again so I got a slim. It's much quieter, I'll give it that but I've still managed to crash it a fair few times. Will be interesting to see how they've improved it even further.
Bindiana's avatar
I do prefer the designs and size of the newer consoles I just prefer the 60GB one because of the backwards compatibility with PS2 games.
Bindiana 4 years ago
Freethinker101's avatar
Freethinker101 4 years ago
Saw them at the expo, I still prefer my old slim with the motorised loading tray.
Shnoorum's avatar
I remember when I first unboxed my PS3 and saw the eject and power buttons and was in awe for a good minute. You should have seen my reaction when I put a disc in it. Mind blown
Shnoorum 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Will be interesting to see how much sales increase when the new hardware gets a price cut in a couple of months.
Jimbo_1's avatar
Jimbo_1 4 years ago
Sales have only increased as the old slim is his being sold of cheaper to get rid of old stock. Still prefer the original design of the PHAT which I still have one which is working touch wood. The crime in this is £180 for the 12GB flash which should be at least £80 cheaper
LLOYD 4 years ago
i only recently bought a slim, and now they make a super slim!! doh!
Shnoorum's avatar
Yeah, they really have belted them out haven't they? Still a fat PS3 owner and proud!
Shnoorum 4 years ago
yellowned's avatar
yellowned 4 years ago
Seriously impressive. Good for Sony, now I wonder if the same thing will happen when the Vita gets a price drop. People have been wanting it and Sony said they're working on it.
jmcoo7's avatar
jmcoo7 4 years ago
Wonder what the increase would have been with a badly needed price cut :-)
Vegeta98's avatar
Vegeta98 4 years ago
Why a Super slim. What was wrong with he slim?
Nijogi's avatar
Nijogi 4 years ago
I actually didn't think the super slim would sell that well, I just assumed it was a way for Sony to cut down on manufacturing costs. I saw the comparisons between each iteration of PS3's at the Eurogamer expo and I was astonished by how sleek and slim it looked, some of images don't do it justice.
It's probably not selling that well, most of the sales were probably the normal slim as it was reduced to clear stock for the super slim.
kel_1's avatar
kel_1 4 years ago
my friend just got a super duper slim,was quite unsure how much smaller it could get from a slim but it is quite suprising, looks good to.
Blitz1423's avatar
Blitz1423 4 years ago
i want a super slim because it looks so cool but i already have the limited edition silver slim ps3 and i dont see why i need to replace it
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
I have the old fat original version and I love it all the same god bless it's tubby small hard-drived heart. Only console revision I've ever been interested in is the 3DS XL but thats mostly because I dont even own a regular 3DS. Can't really see the point in a unportable console revision but hell, look at the sales. I must be the minority
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
I don't know what to make of this. On 1 hand it's great to see the PS3 doing well, but on the other hand I'm shocked that people are still willing to pay top dollar on 10 year old technology
Shnoorum's avatar
While I do see your point I'd say as long as the games are good it could still be considered a good investment. For instance, lets say if the Dreamcast in all its pointy pixeled glory made a sudden comeback and put the price back up to its original retail value, I would happily jump back onboard in an instant. I would be so incredibly all over that in an instant. One can but dream....
Shnoorum 4 years ago