Xbox LIVE sticking with Microsoft Points

Despite Windows 8 making the transition to cash as an alternative to Microsoft Points, Xbox LIVE is sticking with the latter.

Speaking to The Verge regarding the face that Windows 8 will use real cash currency, a spokesperson confirmed that the company has no intention of changing its ways on Xbox LIVE.

"Current Xbox Live customers may also make a purchase using points," the representative said.

"Microsoft Points continue to be the currency for purchasing content for the Xbox 360 console."

Many people feel that Microsoft Points are an unfair way to price, due to the fact that points are sold in set amounts and therefore people may need to purchase more points than they actually need.

Edited On 10 Oct, 2012

Comments
damatman's avatar
damatman 4 years ago
This is a real shame. I was hoping Microsoft would adopt a similar system as PSN allowing people to pay actual money and, for orders over £5, the exact amount of money needed. I understand that it makes great business sense of Microsoft's behalf to sell points in bulk, encouraging people to buy more items with their left over points, but It's not exactly fair if I need only another 100 points to buy an item but have to buy substantially more.
rjc's avatar
Really don't get why MS still use silly points. PSN is a better way using actual money but even then you can be left with too little change to then buy anything. It'd be far better to pay the exact amount for itemsd instead of topping up £5, £10 etc. However, this might then put an end to PSN cards which can be found really cheaply. Some places sometimes do £25 cards for £20 - £21 which is fantastic.
rjc 4 years ago
Microsoft should be embarrassed about this, Nintendo have only been in the online game 5 minutes and they worked out people want to pay exact money when they are buying DLC, MS have been at it nearly 10 years and they haven't sussed it out yet.
Konakona's avatar
Konakona 4 years ago
The system is best on Steam, as far as I know, as you can pay the exact amount for the game you want. On PSN, you have to pay at least 5 pounds, however any purchase of over 5 pounds can be made exactly. I never liked microsoft points. If you pay with cash then people will be more careful with their money as they "know" they're paying with money, however with points it seems like you aren't paying with money, as in you won't think as much about a purchase you've made with points than one with cash.
scourge's avatar
scourge 4 years ago
ah i was really hoping Microsoft we're going to change from MS points... ohwell one can dream.....
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Microsft points are good for microsoft as I never know how much I am really paying for DLC or xbox live games. It can also work in customers favour if you buy discounted points cards from retailers. I would think the next xbox will leave microsoft points behind.
Bruticus's avatar
Bruticus 4 years ago
I would have preferred 'real money'. I often find it hard to judge how much something costs when presented in Microsoft points
It's not that hard to work out really, 100 points is 85p.
Gary 4 years ago
If they're gonna stick to MS points, at least give LIVE users more incentive to buy online. I've never understood why I can buy 2000 points for their download price, OR pay less for 2100 MS points thats been printed and shipped to stores in a box. I also hate having like 20 points left over and not being able to spend it on anything.
jkrohn1's avatar
jkrohn1 4 years ago
I also think they should have got rid of MSP and adopted the same system as PS Store. MSP was a good but pre paid cash cards would be easier. I also think MSP are universal throughout there network and ist probably works out easier for them.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Yeh MSP are universal, I can use them on my windows phone to buy music from Zune, or Xbox live mobile games.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
This doesn't bother me too much, if I ever have to top up more than I need its fine cus somewhere down the line something new will come out and ill already have the points sat there.
KakashiUK's avatar
KakashiUK 4 years ago
I like the MSP system then I don't know how much I'm paying out for items then I feel less guilty it makes me spend more and I don't regret buying something unless its a really bad game/add on
Stabber's avatar
Stabber 4 years ago
PSN is still system better than this, i think
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
I've never really minded Microsoft Points to be honest. It would be much better as normal money but it doesn't really matter to me. I think I'm the only one that doesn't mind though as they generate a lot of hate for it.
The points system itself is fine I think, it's just having to buy them in set amounts that annoys everyone, rather than being able to pay the exact amount.
Shnoorum's avatar
I suppose thats a bit annoying but I've never had much problems spending them all anyways
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Me neither, i do like to play dress up with my avatar. :)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Thats my pet hate for them as well i wanted the new worms game and had 460 points but needed to buy 1000 to get it.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
creed95's avatar
creed95 4 years ago
i feel quite annoyed at this because i still have to pay more than i actually want to. microsoft know this so they dont want to change so they are getting that extra money. i dont see why they couldnt just go with normal money anyways instead of points
They don't get any extra money, the points and their value is held by you, and you can use it whenever you want, so you had to buy an extra 500 points but only needed 100, well that's 400 left, and it'll save you buying an extra 500 points when you want to buy a game that costs 800 points.
Shnoorum's avatar
From my experience, due to the MSP system, it causes them to undercharge some content. I see some thing on PSN that cost a bit more than the value of MSP's. I'm pretty sure anyways, I could be wrong
Shnoorum 4 years ago
No, you're right, I've seen season passes which were £20 on PS3 being 2000 MS Points, which works out as £17. The points system actually works in the consumers favour when it comes to value for money.