Resident Evil 6 'On-Disc' DLC to be free

Capcom's announced that the controversial 'on-disc' DLC for Resident Evil 6 will be released as free content.

Posting via its Capcom Unity website, the publisher detailed the content - a new 'super difficult' No Hope Mode and the addition of co-op for Ada's campaign, which will come without the need to complete the other campaigns within the game.

"Some data of this update is on the disc, but said data is incomplete and requires the actual download to access," the publisher said, adding that all other content on the disc will be made available for free.

"Future paid DLC - like the multiplayer modes we revealed a while ago - is not on the disc. We said as much a month ago, but that point may have been lost in the shuffle." the post concludes.

It's not the first time Capcom has been criticised for putting extra content on the disc, although at least this time its not charging for it (We're guessing it learn't its lesson after the outcry over the Street Fighter x Tekken DLC).

Edited On 11 Oct, 2012

Comments
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Good news, and I think another reason to give this game a go. I know it's been poorly reviewed but it does a LOT of things right. I guess it doesn't matter though as it's selling like heated up bread products.
Shnoorum's avatar
Everyone I've spoken to says ignore the reviews. I've played the demo and seen enough clips to make somewhat of a judgement myself and I see no reason why I'd dislike it.
Shnoorum 4 years ago
rjc's avatar
Good you don't have to pay for it. I wish more would follow suit.
rjc 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
I would just ignore the reviews comepletly, yeh the camera is a lil bit shaky at first but u get used to it in no time. easily one of the best games ive played this year so far.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
I'm absolutely fine with on disc DLC if you don't have to pay for it. It annoys me when you have some full locked content that the developers make you pay an extortionate price for. These are the reasons why I prefer the older generations, none of this crap
Is it just me that finds the idea of a co-op Ada Wong campaign wrong?
Shnoorum's avatar
Given her character that one is a bit odd. Doesn't seem like the teamwork type. Saying that I have no idea how they handle her campaign in 6 to begin with so it may fit in somehow possibly?
Shnoorum 4 years ago
I've not got to it yet, only completed Leons campaign so far, and half of Jakes, and a chapter of Chris, but from what I've seen of her in their campaigns she seems to be working alone for the most part. I suppose they could just be teaming her up with some random henchman or even a BOW and just be adding co-op for the sake of it.
LFC Bywater's avatar
yeh i agree, i've just played through the Ada Wong campaign and it is gunna be interesting to see how they manage to squeeze a co-op partner in there.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
The Auracle's avatar
The Auracle 4 years ago
I might be being a slight bit pedantic here but I find it strange for someone like Capcom to call DLC (short for downloadable content) on-disc DLC when you aren't downloading anything from the disc... you're installing it. Meh... at least it's free. I'm not totally against DLC requiring you purchase it but if it did cost, I would prefer that content be at the level of Rockstar's expansions or even something like Battlefield 3 Premium.
Shnoorum's avatar
In this case from what I hear the content on the disc isn't finished so you'll be half installing half downloading. I should bloody well hope its free! After the huge drama of Street Fighter X Tekken, they better have learned they're lesson. They proved how horribly corrupt they could be by holding off on half of a game and making you pay an extortionate price for what you should be able to play from the get go. After that horrible incident I honestly think anyone that purchased SFXT should be entitled to RE6 completely free, let alone its DLC
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
Their* Sorry, had to correct myself on that one. Its just unforgivable!
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Konakona's avatar
The Auracle, It can also stand for Disc-Locked Content. :P
Konakona 4 years ago
It could also stand for 'Donkeys Love Carrots' ;)
jkrohn1's avatar
jkrohn1 4 years ago
I think this was a paid for DLC and with the bad publicity they have decided to make it free, I think any on disc DLC should be free. You have paid for the disc and all its data not just the select bit the developer wants you to have. On disc DLC is wasted space that could have been used to make the game that little bit better ;-)
Ryan 4 years ago
I'm so behind in buying new games. I haven't got this yet either... But it's great that they are giving the on disk DLC for free! I could see a lot of people hating on this if we had to pay for it.