PS3 sales pass 5 million in the UK

Sony has now sold more than five million PS3 consoles in the UK.

According to the press release, the company recently passed the 5 million milestone, much to the delight of Sony UKs managing director Fergal Gara.

"It is fantastic that we passed the 5m mark. But most importantly to me is not the milestone itself, but the fact that there is momentum behind it. And with the new chassis, and the way the market is panning out this year, PlayStation definitely has the momentum."

Sony recently launched a new super slim PS3, at which point sales of the hardware jumped 138%. It seems the hardware giant is determined to sell more units this Xmas by appealing more to families with its new Wonderbook product as well as new value bundles. With the next generation around the corner, moving focus and trying to widen its audience could be a smart move.

Edited On 11 Oct, 2012

Comments
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Wow, I'm suprised at how much of an impact the redesign has had on sales. Good to see the black sheep of the consoles doing so well. Always loved my PS3 (Just not the download speeds)
I thought it was all the old design models being flogged off cheap to make way for the new design that gave it the sales boost, not the new model itself so much.
rjc's avatar
This is very good to see. Really hope Sony can get back on track. We want three, strong, companies for next gen systems.
rjc 4 years ago
Joe2120's avatar
I can't remember the exact number, but the new model accounted for quite a high percentage of the increased sales.
Joe2120 4 years ago
rjc's avatar
Worth noting the PS2 took over nine years to reach 10 million sales in the UK. So, with the PS3 having been out 5 years, and having sold 5 million systems, could we see it reach 10 million earlier than the PS2 did? A lot will no doubt depend on how Sony support the system when next gen arrives.
rjc 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
From what I can find online nearly 40% of the sales were the new model. Thats quite a lot. Do redesigns usually work this well for companies?
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Konakona's avatar
I'm hoping for a super-car of a console when PS4 comes out, instead of the fat lump of hardware the PS3 was!
Konakona 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
They need to get some of that momentum behind the Vita
Konakona's avatar
Time for a re-design!
Konakona 4 years ago
Stabber's avatar
Stabber 4 years ago
happy to see the PS3 doing well, go Sony =D
KakashiUK's avatar
KakashiUK 4 years ago
I brought it recently just to play the games that I was missing from playing my 360 so I think it was a good idea for Sony to shift sales
jkrohn1's avatar
jkrohn1 4 years ago
Good to see they had a sales spike with the super slim, I still think the Slim is the better looking of them all. I remember getting mY phat a few years back was gonna just get a standalone Blu ray and ended up with a PS3 probably the best purchase I made :-)