It's "Preposterous" to judge PS Vita before Xmas says Sony

PlayStation UK MD Fergal Gara has said in a new interview with MCV that new releases will ignite hype for the handheld in the run-up to Christmas and therefore it'd be foolish to write the console off.

"We'd love for us to be further on," Gara said. "And the release schedule for Vita was rather like the release schedule for the industry this year, in that it did dry up during the summer. We had that incredible summer of sport and very little focus on gaming.

"But the great news is that we have got the content in place. We have got the cash to invest in terms of marketing and retail to really ignite it this Christmas. To start judging a console before it has had its first Christmas is preposterous, really. And we are giving it everything we have got."

If PS Vita doesn't sell well this Christmas then it certainly won't be through lack of trying. Games such as Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified and Need For Speed: Most Wanted are all on the way, while Sony will also be hoping that titles such as FIFA 13 and LittleBigPlanet will spark some interest.

Thanks, Videogamer.

Edited On 12 Oct, 2012

Comments
rjc's avatar
rjc 4 years ago
Still not a whole lot for me that would make me buy a Vita. However, it is silly to write it off. The same was said about the PS3, now look. Still going strong.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
They do need to get some bigger games for the console out. Because after Christmas there is not a lot of information about whats coming out for the Vita the only one I am aware of is Persona.
rjc's avatar
That's true Bindiana, but I think the Vita will come good eventually.
rjc 4 years ago
SCOTT 4 years ago
the future line up for the vita looks promising with games like Phantasy star online 2 and soul sacrifice possibly in the next year if they get localised. certainly looking stronger than the 3ds anyway =/
I wouldn't say that, there's plenty of quality games for the 3DS.
no there really isnt which is very disappointing as the ds was my favourite handheld :( so looks like a my have to invest in a vita next year
SCOTT 4 years ago
Really? Because I'd say Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus uprising, Mario 3D Land, Starfox 3D, New Super Mario Bros 2, RE Revelations, DoA Dimensions, Super Street Fighter 4, MGS 3D and Kingdom Hearts are all quality games, and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.
PrometheusFan's avatar
While I would agree the Vita has a much stronger game line up to finish out the year, it's just plain wrong to say there are no quality games on 3DS.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
I'm with Gloria on this one. The 3DS is winning at the moment. I dont doubt the Vita will get some proper support and the games you mentioned are quite exciting. IT SHALL RISE TO GLORY!
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Konakona's avatar
Not that I'm supporting either argument but it seems a bit sad that 3 of the quality games Gloria mentioned were mario games.
Konakona 4 years ago
How is it sad that some of the best games on the 3DS are Mario games, that would be like saying it's sad that some of the best games on Xbox are Halo or Gears of War games, or that it is sad some of the best games for the PS3 are Uncharted or Resistance games. It's not sad, it's a quality games developer doing what they do best.
Konakona's avatar
Because there's way too many Mario games. They come out faster than COD.
Konakona 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
There are a lot of Mario games but they tend to vary a lot when it comes to gameplay unless its a direct sequel. If you're not a fan of Mario though then yeah, Nintendo may not be for you for the most part
Shnoorum 4 years ago
You can never have too many Mario games :)
Konakona's avatar
Each to their own.
Konakona 4 years ago
KakashiUK's avatar
KakashiUK 4 years ago
with the R4's and bricking of PSP's of the last generation it has crippled the handheld market from getting any 3rd party titles there is not really trust for them to buy in so customers don't want a console with no really appealing games and with the rise of apps its no wonder the handheld market is bombing
Bruticus's avatar
Bruticus 4 years ago
Is there actually anything decent out for the Vita before Christmas? I haven't bought anything since Unit 13 was released.....
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Sure they're not just saying that to feel better?I can't see Need for Speed, and CoD being enough. Lib might help shift some Vitas (It's the only reason I bought mine), but Sony need to get the support of those franchises that have a real dedicated fan base such as Borderlands, Mass Effect, and Yakuza, Maybe even God of War and Dead Space
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
The thing that has put me off getting a vita is the general proce of the games. i know graphically it is close to that of a ps3 and xbox, but i cant justify spending 30 - 40 quid on a game when i could get a new xbox game for that price. if i had to chose i would get a 3DS XL anyway. bit more of a change from xbox style games than a ps vita is.
wolverine77's avatar
wolverine77 4 years ago
I think if you have bought a vita, you have the right to judge it! Especially if you bought on the strength of the promise of remote play! As others have said, get decent franchises on it, improve crossover gaming (why not make minigames that enhance ps3 games, like training sessions for your virtual pro in FIFA?). I think the console will ultimately live or die on its integration.
Shnoorum's avatar
I have faith it's gonna turn out alright. Not many handhelds have failed in the past so I'm sure they'll pull through on their promise eventually. As for remote play I cant really comment. Never paid much attention to that to begin with
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Picked up a Vita last week. I got Little Big Planet and Uncharted with it. Neither were particularly interesting and both felt like tired franchises and overmilked. (much like New Super Mario Bros 2 did) Bought Little King's Story which was annoyingly a remake of the Wii game and not as New as I hoped but still a great game. Also picked up Disgaea 3 since it was cheap but not really worth buying the console for. Don't particularly care for Assassin's Creed 3 but might pick up the Vita one since the protagonist looks way more interesting than the one in 3. Looking on Japan there looks like there's a great amount of PSV games. Yet very rarely do we see a game here that isn't on another console already.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
It is a bit stupid to write it off before it's biggest games have even released yet... but at the same time without an accompanying price cut going into Christmas the expected increase in sales probably isn't going to be as significant as it needs to be.
Shnoorum's avatar
I suppose their sales haven't been significant enough for them to consider a price cut. Once it starts rolling I'm sure it wont be long off
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Konakona's avatar
Konakona 4 years ago
The game that would really seal the deal for Vita is Monster Hunter. If they could get Monster Hunter on their side, they would have a large number of people buying a Vita for that game alone. That's where their focus should be, securing that deal! I for one would love to see it happen.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Much as I dislike the MH franchise, you're probably correct. Sadly, it's very unlikely to appear on Vita as Capcom have pretty much handed the franchise wholesale to Nintendo... despite their suggestions it was inevitable a Vita version would come out back at E3 2011. I'd have thought it would make more sense to release it on every handheld going, but I guess Capcom know what they're doing... even if the quality of their output of the past few years suggests otherwise...
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
My god if they finally get round to making a Monster Hunter on the Vita thats me sold. Already planning to get the Tri remake when it arrives
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Konakona's avatar
What's this Tri remake I keep hearing about xD
Konakona 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
The newly announced Monster Hunter is an enhanced Tri remake from what I hear. No bad thing really, Tri is by far my favourite in the series
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
I trust the man. As I've said before, handhels always have a slow start. This will probably be the beginning of great things in my opinion
Stabber's avatar
Stabber 4 years ago
hope Ragnarok Odyssey comes before xmas in europe, looks great to play
clikR's avatar
clikR 4 years ago
Well i certainly am going to be treating myself to a vita mainly for playing a few japanese releases that have come out and are dying to be imported so may the vita live on!
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Has the vita got those downloadable ps1 classics yet? was gunna get one at launch but heard it wasnt available at the time so saved my money.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Yeah, it's had them a couple months now. Not all the PS1 titles are compatible yet, but the ones people actually care about all seem to be accounted for. The feature set of the emulator on Vita is a big improvement over the PSP too. It's great to finally have dual analogue support on these titles in handheld form. The use of the rear touch pad as L2/R2 could use a little work though.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
ideal, aslong as it has the final fantasy games, the resi games, maybe south park rally and tomb raiders, then ill be a happy man.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
jkrohn1's avatar
jkrohn1 4 years ago
The advertisement for the vita has basically just stated, I seen nothing before it was out and once it was released nothing. I still got one as I loved my psp and the specs and games were ones I wanted. The current games portfolio is not the greatest I'm hoping they will get more out soon. I think more adverts were needed at launch and up to now.
Konakona's avatar
They just need more games! The current number is rather pitiful.
Konakona 4 years ago
devilmaycare34's avatar
devilmaycare34 4 years ago
It's insane that people say there isn't enough content. The vita isn't doing as badly as you might think, especially with all the things available to you on psn. Yes so far there aren't many hard copy games to fancy but that's changing soon. That aside, there's still new little king's story if no one has tried it yet, but also, so far, I own Gravity rush, katamari, blaz blue and Project Diva F. I may also be tempted to import djmax as the whole interface is in english. Coming this year is zero escape, the sequal to 999 retailing at 22.99 at another retailer I shalt not mention here. The vita price is actually cheaper than the 3ds price for that game. Also sly cooper, assassins creed liberation because I'll leave my partner to buy the ps3 version. Oh and persona 4 comes out november 20th so import ahoy. Does no one remember that they can import games? And on my memory stick I have one memory card with 20 games on, some ps1, some psp, and a second stick with some of the early vita downloadable games and a few more psp games. I have so many games in my backlog and I'm sure other gamers do as well, that I think all the whining for more is just a cry that they have no where to spend their money. I could stop buying games right now and still die before I've played all those that I own. And for a year or 2 that would just be those on my vita. So stop crying and go find some bargains. I highly suggest corpse party.
devilmaycare34's avatar
devilmaycare34 4 years ago
Sorry for the double post...need to remember that chrome doesnt refresh itself...
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
I agree, I love my Vita and think there is more than enough stuff for it. I could do with another RPG but thats about it and Persona will take care of that come November (when I will import it). Its a great machine and some of the deals currently going for it are a steal.
LOUIS 4 years ago
i think psvita is great just needs more games.
0000000000's avatar
dont think its worth the price tag on it myself had a lot of fun on my psp go but the vita just does not attract me at all atm
0000000000 4 years ago