Nintendo 3DS sales up 89 percent over same time last year

Nintendo have today announced that the sales of software on the Nintendo 3DS has increased by 89 percent over from the same period in 2011.

Many big titles have helped Nintendo reach this figure, including New Super Mario Bros. 2 which sold nearly 300,000 units in its second month.

"Hardware sales are up, "Nintendo 3DS XL continues to galvanize our Nintendo 3DS business," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Hardware sales are up, software sales are increasing exponentially and the attach rate is growing stronger every month. With a great slate of upcoming games, including Paper Mario: Sticker Star, which arrives exactly one month from today, we like our position heading into the crucial holiday selling season."

Nintendo also hit another milestone with Super Mario 64 DS for the Nintendo DS family of systems reaching the 5 million units sold mark  in the United States alone. This is the third Nintendo DS game to reach the 5 million mark, joining New Super Mario Bros. (10.6 million) and Mario Kart DS (8.5 million).

Edited On 12 Oct, 2012

Comments
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I will be getting a 3DS XL pretty soon. was hopefully holding out till they built a versions with 2 spinny things rather than one.
Shnoorum's avatar
The analog sticks? Give it time, I'm sure they'll eventually get round to it. I find it weird that they didnt add them on the XL to begin with
Shnoorum 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Yeh thats what i meant, had a complete mind blank lol. i know u can buy the peripheral that adds another stick but it isnt the same, and to have have to pay extra for it too is something i wouldnt wanna do.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
I feel for the people that bought a 3DS and analog attachment that want to upgrade to the 3DS. Means they'll have to rebuy both the console and the new bigger sized analog attachment. I'm glad I didnt go out and buy a 3DS at launch
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Personally I don't find a bigger screen enough of an incentive to upgrade. Also, games that use the circle pad pro also work without it, so it would be optional if they did upgrade to the XL.
Shnoorum's avatar
Nah I wouldnt either but its good enough to buy if you dont own one to begin with. I'm getting one for sure. I'll need to give it a go before I can judge if I want a circle pad or not. I want Kid Ikarus and I heard it helps quite a bit for that game.
Shnoorum 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
To be fair, this time last year the 3DS had damn all worth playing. The machine's game line up between launch and Mario 3D Land's release was dire. Of course software is going to be up this year. Hardware sales seem to be way down though, curiously.
It says hardware sales are up, not down.
PrometheusFan's avatar
That's a quote from an NOA employee though. I'm going off of NPD numbers being discussed on various forums that give 3DS numbers as being down over Sept 2011, which seems to match up with Nintendo's refusal to provide hardware numbers this month.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
damatman's avatar
damatman 4 years ago
I'm glad to see that sales are up. More consoles = more people to play your games = developers more likely to produce games. The Vita is doing poorly because no one wants to buy a console that has no games on it. Nobody wants to develop games for it because no one will buy them. Vicious circles.
PrometheusFan's avatar
The Vita has games though. Also, hardware sales are down for the 3DS. The part about them being "up" in the article is a quote from a Nintendo employee that is very vague. "Up" in relation to what exactly? Last week? Last month? It certainly isn't in relation to last year, as Sept 2011 3DS sales were higher than NPD is suggesting they were for Sept 2012.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
rjc's avatar
rjc 4 years ago
Good to see sales up. Now we just need the Vita to up its sales.
Shnoorum's avatar
I'm sure it will. Handhelds seem to always have rocky starts
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Stabber's avatar
probably will when Assassin's Creed III: Liberation comes out soon. but interested on the future games i looked on the list, like Phantasy Star Online 2
Stabber 4 years ago
rjc's avatar
Shnoorum, not just handhelds. The PS3 was the same. I fully expect Sony to turn things around though.
rjc 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
Yeah very true. Give it a year or so and I'll bet it'll be in full swing
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Hopefully this means more good games will be developed by the time I get one. Quite a good line up waiting for me as it is. Particularly RE Revalations
Honestly, the 3DS is worth getting just for RE: Revalations! It's such a great game and probably the best game on the 3DS!
Ryan 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
i did have a look a while back at revelations. but now that resi 6 is out im not in any real rush to get it. maybe for christmas.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Revelations is great, just as good as 6, better than 5, and very nearly as good as 4.
LFC Bywater's avatar
but not as good as 2 or 3?? :P
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
That's a matter of opinion really, personally I thought they were crap, the fixed camera and clunky controls ruined them for me.
Shnoorum's avatar
I am rather hyped for it. I love the setting especially. There are quite a few other games I want so the 3ds is a no brainer for me
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Ah, you see I really liked the fixed camera and clunky controls, I think it added to the horror of the game. But I suppose it's not for everybody. I would also recommend Kingdom Hearts: DDD and also Tales of The Abyss if you like JRPG's.
Ryan 4 years ago
The world would be a very boring place if everybody liked the same things :)
Yep, I agree with you there! :)
Ryan 4 years ago
Stabber's avatar
Stabber 4 years ago
nice to see these sales up, probably done the new pokemon games also.
LFC Bywater's avatar
yeh i think the new pokemon games came out recently so that might have had something to do with it. pokemon games that have the same kind of gmaeplay to the originals witll always be popular in my opinion.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
I still love me a good pokemon game.when the screen pops up to tell you a pokemon is about to evolve, my god, the nostalgia! No idea how many hours I put into the original red
Shnoorum 4 years ago