Sony patents Move controller that heats up in your hand, doesn't do dishes or homework

Earlier this week, Kotaku found out that Sony published a patent this week for a video game controller that heats up or cools down as you're playing a game. Bonkers eh?

If you want you can have a look at the patent information here.

Sony sees the new patent changing the way you play your games with the Move controller heating up as your gun overheats, heat up if your character is hit with a fireball or quite inventively, heating up and cooling down as you're searching for an item within a map.

Sweaty hands might even be a thing of the past if Sony's latest patent comes to fruition. Sadly, Sony are refusing to comment on the matter at the moment, but would you be interested in a controller that changes temperature?

Edited On 13 Oct, 2012

Comments
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Actually that sounds pretty sweet! I have however bought a move and have yet to use it. Maybe they'll start developing properly for the device once they get round to this? Unifinished Swan and the Portal 2 DLC are about the only thing I can see myself ever using it for at the moment
Joe2120's avatar
Speaking of Unfinished Swan, keep an eye on the site this Monday :D
Joe2120 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
Ooh how mystertious. I shall definitely keep an eye out
Shnoorum 4 years ago
scourge's avatar
scourge 4 years ago
this actually sounds quite interesting.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Wonder if sony will try and bump up the price after adding this new technology, and if anyone will be willing to pay the extra for a warm or cold hand :)
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
Probably have a bit of a price increase. I dont know, I do have a regular Move so I probably wouldnt. I really do like the idea of it heating up as a gun would. Sounds neat.
Shnoorum 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
i didnt even think of it that way, but ye hthat would be pretty awesome.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Ryan 4 years ago
The idea sounds good and I'd be very interested in seeing how effectively it works. But as long as it doesn't get too hot or too cold I'l be fine with it! :D
Shnoorum's avatar
I bet it'll end up with a lot of sweaty palms. The cooling part sounds quite nice though
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Suppose it's a good way to warm your hand's up on a cold winters day! :D
Ryan 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
I wonder if they'll get loads of shovelware like the poor Wii store gets. Hand Warmer Simulator 2000!
Shnoorum 4 years ago
rjc's avatar
rjc 4 years ago
Intriguing idea perhaps. Would be interesting to see it in action.
Sounds good on paper but it will just be labeled a gimmick like everything else.
rjc's avatar
rjc 4 years ago
Spotted this just now: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=3&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22sony+computer%22&OS=%22sony+computer%22&RS=%22sony+computer%22 A patent from Sony for tongue tracking apparatus :P
LFC Bywater's avatar
lol thats insane, would find it quite a struggle to talk to my team-mates though with a metal magnetic ball in my mouth...
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
This calls for s sequel to Dogs Life!
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Konakona's avatar
Nostalgia +1
Konakona 4 years ago
rjc's avatar
rjc 4 years ago
Also meant to add this one: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=7&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22sony+computer%22&OS=%22sony+computer%22&RS=%22sony+computer%22 Systems and Methods for providing feedback by tracking user gaze and gestures. Interesting.
Shnoorum's avatar
I remember seeing an experiment where they used some sort of eye tracking device a while back to test the main focal points in Dead Or Alive. I bet you'd never guess the results
Shnoorum 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
lol i can imagine...
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Putting heating elements in a plastic controller? What a great idea. ;)
wolverine77's avatar
Good point!
wolverine77 4 years ago
Haha! Yeah I can see that working very well! :D
Ryan 4 years ago
Konakona's avatar
Konakona 4 years ago
Wow, this actually is really intriguing. Definitely something that would tempt me to buy move. However I feel the ps3's life cycle is coming to a close and lack of move games right now. I'd probably pick it up in a bundle with playstation 4.
wolverine77's avatar
wolverine77 4 years ago
Seriously? This is what Sony are spending money on? I have Move, but wish I hadn't bothered. Sony are churning out more and more instantly forgettable hardware backed up by outlandish claims (I have the PS eye because they said it would allow you to log in using facial recognition. Still waiting). Sorry to be cynical but I am often labelled a Sony fanboy and while this is interesting, it is also pointless.
clikR's avatar
Completely agree, move was pointless i bought it for time crisis as i thought it would be easier than using a gcon(mad thought right...?)) and instantly regretted my purchase....i do love sony but i dont think this is the direction that they need to be going in....
clikR 4 years ago
I don't think PS Move is bad as such, just badly used. It is essentially the same as the Wii controls, and they work well for all sorts of games when they do work, shooters especially. Adding temperature feedback is a really pointless and impractical idea though, it would seriously reduce the battery life of the controller, possibly be dangerous heating something plastic, and I really can't think of any way they could cool it down quickly short of some sort of liquid gas.
Shnoorum's avatar
I cant really judge it as Ive never used mine. Unfinished Swan should make it all worth while. Also the PS3 exclusive Portal 2 DLC sounds awesome. I figured it would make a good light gun, was it really that bad? Never had any complaints with the Wiimote as a lightgun atleast
Shnoorum 4 years ago
BRENDAN 4 years ago
It might be helpful during Winter and Summer...
s.c.g's avatar
s.c.g 4 years ago
This has to be one of the most ill-advised controller concepts since the original 'banana boomerang' PS3 controller shown at E3 some years back.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Worrying about the sort of games that'll use this controller. The future of Playstation could be very blue lol