PS4 Slim Console Black 500GB

Xbox Music arrives tomorrow, no free service for Xbox 360 owners

Xbox Music releases tomorrow alongside a dashboard update, although there will be no free, ad-supported service on Xbox 360.

The cloud powered music service launches tomorrow on Xbox 360 as part of a rolling update to Xbox Live. It launches with 30 million songs and you can listen to songs for free on a Windows 8-based tablet and PC, although not Xbox 360.

If you want access on your Xbox 360 then you'll need to pay 8.99 GBP a month, which will give you unlimited access wherever you are. Paying the subscription will also allow you to create playlists and artist-based radio stations as well as being able to use a Smart DJ to create playlists with unlimited skipping.

If you are planning to pay 8.99 GBP a month for access on Xbox 360, then you'll also have to be an Xbox LIVE Gold member, as the service is unavailable to non-subscribers.

The Xbox Live update is released tomorrow, including improved search, recommendations and pinning of games and videos and improved Voice Search with Kinect. Xbox Smartglass and Internet Explorer won't arrive tomorrow, but will soon.

Edited On 15 Oct, 2012

They're having a laugh aren't they? Nine quid for something PC users get for free, no thanks.
scourge's avatar
scourge 4 years ago
the internet explorer is alright, but no flash player sadly so no videos! Ive had the dash for a while now, only good thing was the beta for happy wars, which i spent too much time on haha.
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Why would use this when you could just load up Youtube and listen to what you want on there? For free too
rjc's avatar
Ridiculous pricing for something that's free on a PC. What are MS thinking?
rjc 4 years ago
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Once again, Microsoft, get back to making damned games like you used to! Consoles aren't social media players they are for pastey house dwellers like myself so stop getting ideas above your station!
Th3HaGMan's avatar
Well said!
Th3HaGMan 4 years ago
COP3Y DUNT's avatar
COP3Y DUNT 4 years ago
For £40 a year we should expect at least something for free. I'm surprised that they have any customers left.
Allan 4 years ago
I'm a faithful MSoft customer, but this is taking the p*ss. So anybody else can get it free on PC or whatever, but Xbox users have to pay? I pay £5.99 a month, alone, for my Gold subscription, so why should I fork out even more money than that for some music, that quite frankly, I wouldn't care to listen to on the Xbox anyway? I highly doubt anybody will pay it. Especially since most people will either have all the songs they want to listen to on their PC anyway, and if not, then there's always YouTube. Bad move Microsoft, bad move.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Almost 100% sure this service won't be free, just like IE on 360 ain't free.
They are going to charge for IE? That's definitely going to flop then, who had a 360 but doesn't have a computer to access the internet, not many.
Oh come on Microsoft no one in their right mind would pay that. 40 a year and they still want more (FYI I paid £26.86 from the excellent Shopto)
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Vidzone is free with PS3 (although there is a lack of quality songs)
AndyMo91's avatar
AndyMo91 4 years ago
damn, was looking forward to playing dishonered and listening to bieber at the same time
LFC Bywater's avatar
This really made me laugh, i am really hoping you were joking about the second part :P
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
s.c.g's avatar
s.c.g 4 years ago
What a waste of time, I'll stick to sourcing my own music from legally purchased CD's thanks... I would have given this a try if it was free but not for £8.99 a month! That's more than Netflix which I also don't have but would be more likely to pay for than this which should be no more than £2.99 a month max; wouldn't it have been better to give Gold subscribers a few hours a month for free as a trial?
Rachael 4 years ago
This is rather expensive, i'll stick to buying cd's and Youtube thanks!
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I cant believe they are trying to chare £8.99 a month for music, if you pay for your'e xbox live subscription monthly its cheaper than this. whoever has made this business decision has had a real clanger, this simply will not work.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
angelus3889's avatar
angelus3889 4 years ago
I for one refuse to pay £9 just for a music app when you can listen on the pc for free. Its yet anouther way for microsoft to rip people off. I wonder if they will charge for the smart glass app to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Misread the title, initially very excited but that quickly turned to disappointment! I generally disagree that Microsoft 'owes' its customers free stuff, but in this case they are really messing up by charging when it is free for PC users.
Greigyboii's avatar
Greigyboii 4 years ago
I was really, really disappointed that these sorts of services are not provided for free on the Xbox 360 currently, and you must pay a subscription. However, I think they will be saving these things for the incoming Xbox 720! I will have a look at the service though, as I think it will be an improvement on the infamous Zune...