Vita struggling with flagging sales in Europe

The PlayStation Vita is not only struggling in Japan, but also in Europe.

According to new figures released by Nintendo as part of its financial report, the 3DS is regularly selling more than double that of the Vita, although it's also constantly being outsold by its older sibling - the PSP.

3DS has been selling almost 100,000 weekly sales since the launch of 3DS XL, matching sales of the Xbox 360. Only the PlayStation 3 - the best selling console in Europe - outstrips sales of the handheld.

Sony will be hoping that the release of games such as LittleBigPlanet, Assassin's Creed: Liberations, Need for Speed and Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified will boost sales of the PS Vita over the Xmas period.

This remains to be seen of course.

Do you have a PS Vita? If not why? Are you considering a PS Vita over the Xmas period? Let us know below.

Edited On 25 Oct, 2012

Comments
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
I own a Vita and have for months now, but own no games. And all the while retailers are selling new titles at £40 that is how it shall remain, until prices drop by about 50%
Leandro 4 years ago
I don´t have one because the games are not exactly cheap and the memory card is absurdly overpriced.
Wey1's avatar
Expected really. I still think that if it had its own ips it'd sell loads.
Wey1 4 years ago
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
i bought one on the friday and then resold it on the monday! the games where really disappointing!
Skiba's avatar
I smell something bull.... lol
Skiba 4 years ago
JoeToots's avatar
i have reciepts from my purchase and trade ins if you really want to see them.. i didn't agree with the shape and the analog sticks.
JoeToots 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
It's shocking how badly the Vita is doing. It's an amazing machine, but clearly it just can't compete with the casual audience's long standing attachment to the Nintendo brand. Interesting to note though that for it's massive lead in terms of install base in Europe, multiplatform games appearing on both Vita and 3DS (eg. FIFA 13, Rayman Origins) seem to sell better on Vita over here. It appears that a large install base does not automatically mean better sales for third party releases... which I guess has been par for the course for Nintendo consoles over the last decade. A continuing trend that bodes ill for the future of the Wii U if nothing else.
FemmeFox's avatar
FemmeFox 4 years ago
Ive owned a Vita since day one. I completed Uncharted and played the hell out of Wipeout but after that, apart from some smaller network titles, nothing has really appealed. Im not interested in home console ports or sequels to titles I dont really play anyway. Vita desperately needs a RPG of some kind for me and some new IP's. Im greatly looking forward to Kickbeat on PSN and Tearaway should be wonderful fun too. Soul Sacrifice should be good and I'll keep a close eye on God Eater 2 as well being a massive fan of the last one on PSP. But all these are a long way off from release.
highwinter's avatar
highwinter 4 years ago
They're just too expensive right now, especially when you factor in the price of memory cards. If there were a significant price drop, I'd definitely pick one up over Christmas.
Zef's avatar
Zef 4 years ago
I have owned a Vita since launch and i love it. Got 30 games, but currently addicted to one of my favorite PS3 games, Disgaea 3. Been playing the living crap out of that game, and just waiting for my US Ragnarok Odyssey to arrive soonish!
Birdorf's avatar
Birdorf 4 years ago
I have to say, Vita is my favourite gaming device ever. Had it since a month after launch and still play it daily, I've always preferred handheld gaming, and I think it's Everbody's Golf that makes me love it so much. It is expensive and memory card pricing is a rip-off, but, it's a beautiful thing. The games are now starting to trickle out, just hope it's not too late.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Picked up a Vita a few weeks ago. First off the price was bad but Game were doing a deal with LBP, Uncharted and Fifa. Sold Uncharted and Fifa back to HMV and got about £50 back in credit, then bought Uncharted pre-owned and Little King's Story and later Disgaea 3. Both Little Big Planet and Uncharted feel very very tired franchises now and offer very little to make them unique aside from some gimmicky touch screen controls (which aren't very good) Disgaea is essentially a port of the PS3 version with some extras. I got it on cheap from here so not so bad. Little King's Story is the best one by far. But really, again it's a remake of the Wii Version with bells and whistles. Considering the Wii Game was amazingly great and easily one of the best games this generation it's a good thing but one great game does not a system make. Admittedly the 3DS was in the same place last year, but this time last year it had a price drop (along with 20 games for early adapters) coming and a handful of big name Nintendo games coming. Vita has....Assassin's Creed (which will likely be as tired as the rest of the franchise was, and considering they announced it and then...not much else I don't have much faith of it.) Even the PSN shop is kinda meh. US has the likes of Suikoden up on theirs, we don't. Sony UK/Europe need to look at Japan and start getting some of it's titles over here, not a day goes by do I see a new Vita JRPG popping up. Would much prefer these to focusing on sub-par PS3 ports.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
There are some good games on the vita the whole console just hasnt been advertised that well. Everybodys Golf is an amazing game on the Vita and a bargain on here at £9.99. I think they just need a vita exclusive Final Fantasy or Grand Theft Auto or another game like that then people will take notice.
Bealinator's avatar
Bealinator 4 years ago
Bealinator's avatar
Bealinator 4 years ago
I've faith the PS Vita will be a success in the long-run. I think the biggest barrier to success for the Vita is sheer ignorance. Most people who don't want a Vita or 'hate' it irrationally are those who don't know what it does. Just a few weeks ago I introduced it to a very sceptical friend who used the words such as 'gimmicky' and 'PSP-like' before he used it. After around half an hour on very varied games he was very impressed (and that is an understatement) and he now wants one for christmas. I do think that if Sony can sell what the Vita can do compared to the competition then they'll have a very good Christmas. Assassins Creed is just the start. And on those sales figures, they do paint a completely different picture compared to the speculation we've heard over the past few months. Apparently 3DS was outselling Vita 10:1 at one point, so to have a comparatively tiny difference is good news. 3DS has been out an extra year compared to Vita, so a sales gap isn't a surprise.
SuperJag86's avatar
SuperJag86 4 years ago
I've had a Vita since day one too and Sony have been supporting the device pretty well themselves but I think it needs a bigger third party push. There are finally more games on the horizon but there's not a constant stream of games to look forward to. I'm very happy with the device and some games are truly excellent but there needs to be more coming out on a regular schedule. The PSP had a slow start but now it has a huge library with brilliant games, I just hope the same happens with Vita.
dotty_84's avatar
dotty_84 4 years ago
My WRC 3 vita comes tomorrow and i've already paid my pre order for Assassins Creed. There are some ok games out for Vita, Unit 13, LBP, Gravity Rush. But there is potential: AC 3 liberation, most wanted, soul sacrifice, COD I have faith. Once RPGs hit this thing it'll take off.
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
I am a massive Vita fan and I think there are more than enough games on there. Persona 4 is out in less than a month (in the US) and Need for Speed next week. There are loads of dedicated good Vita games, 100s of great PSP games and 100s of great PS1 games. I think the memory card thing is ridiculous, but aside from that can't fault the thing.
Bruticus's avatar
Have you tried playing PSP/PS One games on the Vita? I tried getting one of the Syphon filter games and it was awkward as hell as I'm so used to two analog sticks, I gave up in the end!! If you think there are plenty of Vita games, then I think you might be slightly mental ;)
Bruticus 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
I'll kinda give you the PS1 games but not PSP. I own a PSP and there's yet to be a way to transfer the games I've bought from that to the Vita, not to mention missing holes (Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean and Tales of Eternia) which dont seem to be getting filled.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Bruticus's avatar
Bruticus 4 years ago
Same as most other people here, I don't think there are enough games! I currently own 3, have had two more, but since I've had it I think I should have had double that, there just isn't enough games for it!! Looking forward to AC and COD though, but they need to keep the flow up!! The Vita is a fantastic piece of kit, they just need to compliment it with some fantastic games. Surely even the thickest of staff at Sony should realise that
devilmaycare34's avatar
devilmaycare34 4 years ago
I think people need to broaden their horizons when it comes to the games they can play on it. I have numerous psp games and psone games that I bought AFTER getting a vita, because before I couldn't justify buying stuff downloadable on the psp when it was better to have a hard copy. I have several vita games now too, so far I have gravity rush, touch my katamari, new little kings story, blaz blue continuum shift extend, super monkey ball (out today, only £13) project diva f and djmax technika tune. The last 2 are imports. They are amazing rhythm games and cost me about £36 each but considering vocaloid games rarely drop I'm really really really happy I bought them. Especially clocking in more than 30 hours with hatsune miku, and counting. I also have persona 4 import on the way on release date, and zero escape coming out, which shopto havent even advertised so I've had to go to the competitor. Oh and I'm very tempted by liberation, but I'll get it on double discount at work. I'm really grateful to the vita that I finally got round to buying some great games like corpse party and half minute hero, and some rpgs that were waiting for a long time. I really don't see what people are crying about. I'll be dead long before I finish any of my back logs. Oh and some of those vita games, I bought for £15. Just sell a couple of things and get a big memory card . I bought my 32gig after culling the crap off my shelf. Every 5 years or so I go through my collection to see which rubbish has clung on for dear life.
Still early days for it really, and considering the games (or lack of) it's not doing too badly. It was never going to match up with the 3DS anyway, Sony will always be second place to Nintendo in the handheld market. The funniest thing here though for me is all the mentions of the expensive memory card, Sony do love their proprietary media formats but they never learn, Betamax, Minidisc, UMD all were failures, Bluray is the only success they've had on that front, and that was just good luck that it was time for a new format and they backed the right horse.
Skiba's avatar
Skiba 4 years ago
loving my Vita best handheld I have owned.
IAIN 4 years ago
I really enjoy my vita but all ive played on it is uncharted , wipeout and gravity rush . (Apart from psn games) Im hoping the liberation and need for speed deliver but I wont be buying any new games unless they are good quality. And good price!
michael10662's avatar
michael10662 4 years ago
i sold mine waste of money
hairyfingernail's avatar
hairyfingernail 4 years ago
I've had my vita since launch and love it, the games have been pretty good for the first year. Unit 13 was fun, as were motorstrom and mutant blobs on download. I'd never played a disgaea game before, so tried that and liked it. just completed LBPvita which was an excellent game suffered from abit of lag online. but easily the best is everybodys golf. (very proud of my everybody golf platinuim) all vita owners should have this game. there have been a few stinkers resistance was horrid as were the rubbish ds ports of the lego games. what with playstation mobile just launching and a great line up of games due need for speed, ac liberation, persona 4. the cross play games are starting to trickle in aswell, and playstation plus coming in november. 2013 the vita will come alive. anyway that is all back to gravity rush.
AvatarIII's avatar
AvatarIII 4 years ago
I love mine, I don't play it every day, I generally have phases of activity and inactivity, recently I've been playing Unit 13 and some Playstation Mobile games. when people realise that it is a cheaper alternative to buying a tablet for gaming, which as the Playstation Mobile area grows, it will be good for casual games, as well as proper hardcore games. the only real problem it has, is the fact that Vita owners are few and far between, social gaming is pretty much out of the question, so no chance of a Word with Friends or Draw Something explosion, but I think the Vita needs to expand to compete with those high end phone games, like Dead Space and GTA3, those games are clearly not meant to be played on a phone, virtual twin sticks suck. I wouldn't be surprised if PS3 gamers with smart phones start buying Vitas instead of upgrading when their phone contracts run out, which probably means next year will start showing much higher sales in Vitas as it begins to look like a viable alternative to phone and tablet gaming.
Holly 4 years ago
It's struggling because it's so much more expensive over here than in the UK! £200 for the wi-fi version on its own over here. $230 in the US, which translates to £145! Plus the games: for example, Assassin's Creed Liberation is £40 here, but $40 in the US - which is £25! I wish I'd bought my Vita while I was living in the US, but it was new out and I wasn't sure if it would be internationally compatible when I moved back to the UK. Sony should think about dropping their prices over here = I think £25 for a Vita game is more than acceptable and this would bring it more in line with the US prices. Clearly they can afford to sell it at that price in the US, and I doubt there would be financial ruin for SCEE if they were to adjust things a little. I'd love a Vita but I could only afford the one game here and there at these prices. This is the same reason I never buy from the PS Store unless its an exclusive as the prices are so high - £40 for a game I can get from shopto for £25, sort it out SCEE!
devilmaycare34's avatar
devilmaycare34 4 years ago
It's doing so badly and yet I have a 32gig and 8 gig memory card that I've had to make room on for new titles. Just this week I got Sly cooper, tori and fate/extra. I think people just complain because we need a reason to spend our money. Therefore the lack of patience is a "first world problem"
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
The reason I bought a 3DS over a PS Vita is because the games that I want to play are handheld games that you can pick up and put down and happily go back to later. PSVita seems to be more PS3 games on a handheld system, and although some look good, I don't want to be sitting for hours playing a Vita.