Wii U stock levels will be low

Wii U is going to be a must-have console for Christmas and if you don't want to be disappointed then you better get your pre-order in by the sounds of things. According to a few reports around the web, as well as our own sources, retail stock will be short.

MCV is reporting that independent retail sources close to Nintendo have confirmed there will be shortage, while Nintendo itself has admitted that stock will be limited day one.

"Wii U stock levels will be tight on day one. However, we will be providing retailers with regular stock deliveries in the run-up to Christmas in order to meet demand as quickly as possible."

Given the clamour surrounding the Wii when it first launched, if you are at all interested in the new console then it may be wise to get your pre-order down. No-one wants to pay over the odds on ebay after all.

Edited On 26 Oct, 2012

Comments
Bruticus's avatar
Bruticus 4 years ago
Awesome, I might preorder one and sell it for silly money on ebay, like loads of other people will do.....
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
Typical, when does this not happen lmao? Bruticus, how much do you think it will sell for? Would u really sell it considering there will be such a short supply? I have never been a fan of wii games but I managed to mod my girlfriends one so we have 300 games on hdd. Hours of fun playing super Mario but that's all I can get into. What's the release games?
Bruticus's avatar
I'll be honest, If I bought one, I wouldn't sell it, there looks like there is going to be loads of great games for it!! If I had plenty of spare money I'd go nuts and preorder from everywhere, haha
Bruticus 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
As long as I get mine on release date from shopto I'll be happy. Even took time off work for it.
scourge's avatar
scourge 4 years ago
i wouldn't mind getting my hands on the new Wii. the original Wii didn't interest me much but the games coming for Wii U are looking good. will probably try to get one next year sometime. unless Microsoft decide to announce the new Xbox, then all my money will go on that.
IAIN 4 years ago
I think this will sell well at christmas but i dont think in the long term it will be as successful as the original wii. I think Nintendo got a bit lucky on just how many people decided to get. Im not against nintendo in any way i think they make some great games, but i just think they maybe shouldn't have tried to sell another gimmick based games console
I was expecting this, it's pretty common with most new consoles to have a shortage at launch, that's why I ordered early :)
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
Good move Gloria, however I think I'm gonna wait it out. Got loads of great games to play and more to purchase over Christmas. Bruticus I think I may do the same just make some easy cash haha. Although I wondering if there will be any hardware issues with it. Always seems to be the case with new consoles. Does anyone know what the major release title is with the wii u?
Zombi U, and it's going to stay exclusive for the forseable future too.
Robichoico's avatar
Upon release it's ZombiU and New Super Mario Bros U
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I can recall a similar situation with the Wii, where Nintendo kept stock shipments low enough that they barely met preorders in many places (Supposedly) to ensure maximum hype for the console through some free "Wii sold out everywhere" media reports. Will be interesting to see if the same approach yields similar results on this occasion, with all the problems Wii U has to overcome compared to the Wii at launch.
And Sony did the same thing with the PS3, but of course that is different, isn't it?
PrometheusFan's avatar
No they didn't, there wasn't really any demand for PS3 at launch like there was for the Wii, so stock was never really an issue for Sony... getting people interested in a console that was severely overpriced was. As I recall PS3 sales were initially quite rubbish, with it only managing to find real success around the time the slim console came out. With the Wii, it was the reverse.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Of course, your take on it must be the right one. All the news articles about short stock being drip fed by Sony at the launch must have been all made up.
PrometheusFan's avatar
I don't recall those stories. The only ones I remember from the PS3 launch were the stories about underwhelming sales.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
Super Mario sounds good although I haven't really looked at it? Is it a side scroll ish one or 3d? What's your thoughts on it Gloria and mark? Funny how that works Kevin, it may creat hype but will it eventually but people off waiting for the console?
New Super Mario Bros U looks great, it's just the same sort of thing as the DS, Wii and 3DS games, this time the co-op gameplay is online though, which should please some people.
hallben's avatar
hallben 4 years ago
Not at all a shock, but I suspect is a manufactured short fall to increase demand around the holiday period. Not a new strategy, but they want to avoid the over available nature of the 3DS and inevitable price cut that followed.
Skiba's avatar
Skiba 4 years ago
that old trick again they pulled that with the wiifit not sure it will work any more.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
they are selling them at a loss
escaflowne2001's avatar
escaflowne2001 4 years ago
I'm getting one at release but i'm more worried about the game prices ZombieU, Assassin's Creed 3 and Aliens are all at £47.99. I won't be buying any games at that price and will have to wait for a price drop. Thankfully ZombieU was only £32 when I pre-ordered it at Shopto.
Shop around, I've managed to order 3 launch games all at around £36 each, which is comparable to 360/PS3 game prices.
escaflowne2001's avatar
Oh yeah of course but when Amazon, Play.com and Shopto are all charging £47-49. That's going to put alot of people off. Luckily I'm only planning to get ZombieU on release day. Aswell as downloading Nano Assault Neo. Also the prices have only increased fairly recently when the pre-orders started they were all in there mid-30's.
escaflowne2001 4 years ago
I've noticed a lot of sites raising prices on games after and close to launch all across the board, even shopto are guilty of it. Luckily I tend to get my pre-orders in early to get the best possible deal, but sometimes I do find better deals and switch my orders.
Wey1's avatar
Wey1 4 years ago
Probably be just like the Wii, sell like hot cakes and be impossible to find.
danuk1984's avatar
danuk1984 4 years ago
Well Bugger me
Rachael 4 years ago
I have barely looked into the Wii U, I knew of its existence but never looked into it as i usually just play my Xbox, But now closer to launch i'm severely tempted to pick one up. The only thing holding me back is the price of the games, I know that they are of the same quality as Xbox/PS3 games but I just can't bring myself to pay that much after just splashing out loads of money for the console itself. Maybe i will get it after crimbo hoping for a price drop!
escaflowne2001's avatar
Anyone else here manage to get a cheap one off of Amazon when they goofed up (£199). Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones, kinda surprised they decided to honor it really.
escaflowne2001 4 years ago
hairyfingernail's avatar
hairyfingernail 4 years ago
Was kind of expecting this, glad i got my preorder in. just a little over a month now.
The_iron_gecko's avatar
The_iron_gecko 4 years ago
mine has been bought an payed for for a few days now. Just hoping i got it in early enough !! :/
Lewis 4 years ago
im not to sure how true this is but i heard that every wii u that is sold Nintendo make a loos on it just like sony did with the ps3, but Nintendo dont have the software to justify it
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Sounds less like a concern, and more like a statement to make people go "ARGH, They won't have any WiiUs, we must buy one STRAIGHT AWAY!" I won't be picking one up until the software line-up justifies it, but it's interesting to see the marketing at work
TimM's avatar