Koller: PlayStation Plus to be a "significant part" of Sony's marketing strategy over next 24 months

Do you like PlayStation Plus? Well that's pretty fortunate because it's not going anywhere and will infact be a "significant part" of Sony's marketing efforts over the course of the next six to 24 months.

John Koller, vice president of PlayStation Home and handheld consoles, told GI.biz in a new interview, that Sony saw a rise in interest in PlayStation Plus during E3, with subscription numbers more than doubling.

"PlayStation Plus is fantastic," said Koller. "This is going to be a significant part of our marketing efforts over the next six, 12, 24 months. This is a big part of what we do. The amount of value that you get from PlayStation Plus is significant. Since E3, we've seen a significant rise in PlayStation Plus adoption and we'll be utilizing this."

Koller also went on to call PlayStation Plus a "nice weapon in its arsenal," saying that it can provide a great way to introduce newcomers to digital content.

"This is a nice weapon in our arsenal that we'll be utilizing and it's just a great value for a consumer that's coming in," he said. "If you look at a consumer that's coming in in year 6 or year 7...you could call them a later adopter and giving them an instant game collection, which is what PlayStation Plus provides, has really proven to be successful. So this is going to be a very important part of what we do here over the next few months. You'll see it at holiday. You'll see it even beyond that with various integrations into our ecosystem."

PlayStation Plus is available via the PlayStation Store. based on our experience we'd highly recommend it.

What's your opinion on PlayStation Plus?

Edited On 26 Oct, 2012

Comments
IAIN 4 years ago
Playstation Plus is probably the best thing I ever bought for my PS3. The amount of free games and discounts has been unreal
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
For me PS+ has been 50/50. I know they can't please everyone all the time but there are months that just suck. Not to mention SCEE being a bunch of monkeys at times.
Wey1's avatar
scea are worse. a lot of american plus subscribers believe scee do a much better job. some months aren't great, but it's impossible to please everyone each month. some will own everything, others own not a single thing of what's on offer at that time. love the service myself.
Wey1 4 years ago
I do wish MS would do something like plus, free games would be nice considering what we pay them. But great as digital distribution is currently, the more it progresses the closer we get to a world where there is no physical media, where everything is digital. And then we the consumers are going to get screwed, there'll be no second hand games, no choice on where to buy our games, or any chance of getting a bargain. I don't think it's going to be that far away either.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
The current Plus service represents very good value for money, especially compared to the laughable mess it was during it's first year or so, before Cloud, IGC and free new titles rather than endlessly recycling older offerings really made it a worthwhile purchase. The imminent addition of a seperately functioning Vita Plus service at no additional cost to subscribers is a nice bonus, but considering how little effort Sony put into marketing the Vita and running promotions on it, I half expect Vita Plus to initially be as horrible as PS3 Plus was at the start.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
Plus is ace
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Plus is good, more than happy with is. I suspect they are going to push it and push it and get us all used to it so it becomes a part of PS4 that we HAVE to subscribe to, different levels for different things. For now I will take it what it is, some months I am very happy. Other months I get Hell Yeah and theres nothing I don't already have..
hairyfingernail's avatar
hairyfingernail 4 years ago
Playstation plus is great. Definatly worth the price of 1 game a year/ xbox live. been playing through red dead redemption again. That game is probably worth the price alone. The good thing is you get games save them on the hard drive and then just play them through the summer games drought. and you might try a game you would normally ignore.
AvatarIII's avatar
AvatarIII 4 years ago
PS+ is great for auto-updating/trophy syncing (whilst I'm at work or whatever) and cloud saving alone, which now it's been upgraded to 1GB (100MB was pitiful when some saves are well over 10MB alone, 1GB was enough for all my saves) the freebies just make it awesome, although a lot of the time I download them and don't play them, or just end up playing the first level, but that's only because i barely have enough time for gaming as it is. The only thing I've never utilised is the full game trials.
Holly 4 years ago
Some of the games offered are really good. LBP2, Borderlands, Just Cause 2... all great games that I happen to already have, but Infamous 2, Bulletstorm and Machinarium are what made me use my free month of PS+ this month. Not sure about Crysis 2 next month but I'm sure lots of people will enjoy it. Ratchet & Clank All 4 One is a great one for me, but am I right in thinking that's already been offered once this year? I'm not really sure what was offered before October this year as I wasn't in the country. However I've heard a lot of good things are meant to be coming soon. I just wish there were PS+ discounts for new releases such as The Unfinished Swan and Okami HD as that would encourage me to buy them day 1. I bought Tokyo Jungle and Derrick the Deathfin because of the PS+ discount, so it does work as a day 1 purchase incentive!