Miyamoto says 'Retro Studios qualified to make Zelda'

Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto thinks that Retro Studios would be qualified to make a Zelda game in the future but logistical problems could well prevent the Metroid Prime developers from doing so.

Miyamoto said, "The possibility of Retro Studios making a new Zelda with a good proposal isn?t a farfetched idea at all and could be possible", while adding that such a partnership would prove to be a logistical problem, due to Nintendo holding the code for Zelda in Japan and Retro Studios being based in Austin, Texas.

Miyamoto added: "Even if Retro Studios is qualified, Nintendo would have to be in very close contact with the company that were to create this Zelda and, being outside Japan, the distance and the timezone differences would make the communication more difficult."

Edited On 29 Oct, 2012

Comments
Of course they are, they did a fantastic job with Metroid, and Donkey Kong Country. I hope they are already working on something else though, I think it's about time we got a brand new Starfox or F-Zero.
0000000000's avatar
i agree with you there to be fair i hope they actually go through with this zelda idea!
0000000000 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
IIRC it was announced not long after E3 that Retro are working on something (likely Metroid U since that franchise has been quiet for a few years now) as are Monolith (Xenoblade guys)
Robichoico 4 years ago
hairyneville's avatar
Maybe I'm just a milksop wimpy casual gamer, but as much as I wanted to like Retro's Metroid games I just couldn't get much enjoyment out of them. I've heard good things about Donkey Kong Country but have yet to play it. I haven't played Zelda: Skyward Sword yet, either, so I'm probably not really qualified to say anything about a third party's Zelda when the last Nintendo Zelda I played was Twilight Princess ... but, well ... if a Retro Zelda does happen, I can't help wondering if my experiences with their Metroid games would drive me away. Milksop wimpy CYNICAL casual gamer...
hairyneville 4 years ago
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if they gave Metroid back to them really, Other M was a bit pants.
Shnoorum's avatar
I really like Other M. Yet to complete it as I decided to do a playthrough of all the other Metroid Primes first. Currently on 3 and have been the last few months. Need to get back to that...
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Lewis 4 years ago
Retro studios made the two epic metroid prime games on gamecube (The Wii game was poor because it was on a Wii) and those games stick in my mind till this day as two of the best games i have ever played. I hope they could revive the zelda franchise back to its former glory
I thought the Wii game was as good as the other two, better in some ways, the controls took some getting used to, but once you got them they were a lot quicker and more precise than a twin analogue set up.
Birdorf's avatar
Birdorf 4 years ago
Lewis, if you're put off by the Wii controls, don't be, as GLORIA says, they work really well. Maybe it's something else that puts you off?
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Everything in existance ever should be handed over to Retro studios. The team is amazing
They could do so much with many Nintendo franchises, but F-Zero and Starfox are long overdue a return and should be priorities. :)
Shnoorum's avatar
Oh my yes. Particularly F Zero. Sega did an amazing job on the last one, just imagine what Retro could do
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Taz 4 years ago
I think they're more than qualified ha. They did an amazing job on the Metroid Prime series. Even if you don't like the Prime series you can't deny the games quality is extremely high.
hairyneville's avatar
I must admit that I really appreciated the atmosphere and craft Retro put in to the Metroid games, even though I didn't get on with them. The prospect of that kind of quality being furnished on a Star Fox game does appeal to me, especially after the bad taste left behind by Rare's Star Fox Adventures...
hairyneville 4 years ago
That's not Rare's fault though, that was due to be a new IP called Dinosaur Planet, but Nintendo forced them to shoehorn Starfox in to it. All things considered it wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't Starfox. At least they had an excuse, not like Namco with the awful Starfox Assault.
hairyneville's avatar
I'd completely forgotten about Dinosaur Planet! Now that I think back, the main reason I bought Starfox Adventures was because I'd been looking forward to Dinosaur Planet. As for a Retro Starfox, I'd definitely be interested in seeing what kind of new spin they would put on it. The same goes for a Retro Zelda, though I sincerely hope they wouldn't go the "grim and gritty" route (which Nintendo did to an extent with Twilight Princess anyway).
hairyneville 4 years ago
I think they've already said the next Zelda will be of the same style as Skyward Sword, which is cool, Wind Waker was my favourite Zelda for art style though. :)
adwan's avatar
adwan 4 years ago
Timezones and communication sounds like a lame excuse not to give this studio a chance. At the end of the day companies all other the world manage to communicate on a daily basis with far eastern countires, so why should Nintendo and Retro being any different? I also see no reason why they couldn't locate a Nintendo rep in Austin while development is taking place?
Allan 4 years ago
If it means we get an awesome new Zelda game soon, then I'm all for it!
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Probably more Metroid after the mess that occurred when Nintendo outsourced the last game to an external developer. That approach has never worked out well for Nintendo in the past, but I'm sure they've learned their lesson about it no... oh wait, no... just remembered Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS has been outsourced. lol.
You are also forgetting the absolutely awesome F-Zero GX/AX made by Sega which totally disproves your theory.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Never played it, but I have not heard good things from those who have. Guessing as it was the release that killed the F-Zero franchise dead it wasn't very successful either. I'll stand by my 'theory' thanks.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Just like you, judge something you never played. keep on trolling kev.
PrometheusFan's avatar
You should look up the definition of 'trolling'.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Describes you pretty well.