Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 coming 2015

In case you didn't hear last night, Disney has bought Star Wars makers, Lucasfilm for the hefty sum of $4.05 billion dollars.

Disney now owns all of Lucasfilm's subsidiaries. For gamers, this means that the company now has control over video game developer and publisher LucasArts as well.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said Star Wars creator George Lucas.

"It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Disney will be paying half of insane figure in cash, hopefully in lovely suitcases, with the rest made up in an issue of around 40 million shares.

I don't think anyone saw that news coming! What do you think will happen to LucasArts now that Disney is under control?

Edited On 31 Oct, 2012

Comments
Obviously a joke about episode 7, but really if they did they couldn't do a worse job than Lucas himself did with episodes 1-3. Could even be a good thing if they did, Disney have made some cracking family friendly scifi, like Tron, and the much under rated John Carter. As for Lucasarts, what have they done recently that was of any note? With Disney in control maybe we'll get some decent Star Wars games.
Hymeleon's avatar
My dream is a decent SW game with Move as a lightsaber. Some epic adventure from a first person Jedi perspective...
Hymeleon 4 years ago
Birdorf's avatar
Birdorf 4 years ago
New film will be 'all singing, all dancing'
I'd pay to see that.
DARK_SiNDAKiT's avatar
DARK_SiNDAKiT 4 years ago
Is it bad for me to admit i've never seen a star wars film ? no doubt when the new film comes out in 2015 i'll end up seeing that and wondering how they got to where they are now in the films. I think it might be time to invest in the films to watch just to become that 1 step closer to becoming a geek.
0000000000's avatar
watch them all or live to regret it lol
0000000000 4 years ago
adwan's avatar
adwan 4 years ago
I'm pretty sure Lucas had planned to do another 3 Star Wars films at one point but then changed his mind. Won't be long before Disney takes over the world at this rate!
Yes, he originally intended it as a trilogy of trilogies.
Ash Buchanan's avatar
way back when he called it Journal of the Whills, as in the whill of the Force. Loads more scope to do the whole Solo kids and Luke as a Master. Cant wait.
Ash Buchanan 4 years ago
I'd like to see Disney finish things off, I reckon they could do a very good job of it.
hairyneville's avatar
My favourite Star Wars films - Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi - were scripted and directed by people other than Lucas . He did both things (and more...) for all three prequels and messed up pretty badly by any standard, so like others here, I'm keeping an open mind as well. As for games, Disney Interactive has published quite a varied range of titles over the last few years (most of which have been of a pretty decent quality), so things may change for the better on the Lucasarts front, too.
hairyneville 4 years ago
Bruticus's avatar
Neville, bare in mind when Lucas was involved in messing around with his films, he pee'd a lot of fans off, like putting Hayden Christensen into the end of episode 6....
Bruticus 4 years ago
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
like gloria said they cant do any worse than what lucas did with the last three thats how to ruin a mans childhood. Not to mention lucas letting yoda advertise phones the guy sold out long ago.
Don't forget Vader advertising PC World too.
0000000000's avatar
that advert was brill lol!
0000000000 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Should we be expecting some sort of Star Wars holiday resort now? or maybe an X Men vs Star Wars fighting game
adwan's avatar
X-Men v Star Wars fighter would be cool!
adwan 4 years ago
Bruticus's avatar
No it wouldn't!
Bruticus 4 years ago
Bruticus's avatar
Bruticus 4 years ago
$4 billion dollars is mindblowing! Bet old Lucas is laughing all the way back to his gold plated country
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Not sure disney know the minefield they are walking into offering up another Star Wars movie. The nerds will go mental if it ain't up to their impossible expectations! Game wise, I'm equally worried Disney are hardly known for ground breaking games
Lisa 4 years ago
Definitely a shock, and the amount of money too! Not too sure about this but you never know, they could end up making a decent job of it. After all, it is Disney. Either way, they stand to make a lot of money I think.
ALIAS's avatar
ALIAS 4 years ago
I think this is a good thing. The Star Wars Universe is huge! It would stupid not to do more with the IP. Not surprise there will be more movies to come.
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Disney aren't stupid; they'll do whatever they can to sell Star Wars to the world, post-Lucas. George isn't going far, he will still have a say a long the way, I'm sure. We have a guarantee of more Star Wars, any true fan must be happy with that!