Darksiders II struggling to break even

Despite launching to brilliant reviews and topping the US sales charts and reaching second in the UK, it seems that Darksiders II is struggling to reach the sales figures THQ need for the game to break even or take a profit.

Games industry analyst, Michael Pachter has estimated that DSII sold barely over a million units so far. "August release Darksiders II has sold an estimated 1 million units to date, and appears to be struggling to approach its 2 million units break-even threshold," he said.

"Darksiders II's performance and a history of game delays and cancellations leaves us skeptical that THQ can successfully execute its turnaround strategy, which centers on a streamlined release slate," Pachter added. "If any of THQ's Q4 2013 releases are late, liquidity is likely to be tight by next summer unless either Homefront 2 or the Patrice D'silets game are released by then."

Darksiders II will also be launching on the Wii U next month, did you buy and enjoy Darksiders II?

Edited On 31 Oct, 2012

Comments
I haven't played it myself, but I heard it had some serious issues and wasn't as good as the first one. This is bad news for THQ, they're in trouble as it is, if they can't even turn a profit on a major release like this then their days are probably numbered.
adwan's avatar
adwan 4 years ago
That's a real shame as it will likely mean we will never see a Darksiders III. It's a great series but I think it has been lost amongst the delude of releases since the end of August.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
this is a real shock for me because i thought it was great and better than the 1st one.. not my massive proporsions but better none the less and i cant see how its struggling its such a fun great game i would reccommend it to anybody who played number 1!
-Exc!te-'s avatar
-Exc!te- 4 years ago
Darksiders 2 is EPIC it's one of the best games i've played all year, i didn't play the 1st one either so i have nothing to compare it to. Gloria if you go on what you heard all the time i'd surprised if you bought any games at all. (:
I don't go on what I heard, and was intending on at least renting it at some point. I don't buy many games though these days, moneys tight all round and renting is the better option for most games.
0000000000's avatar
why shopto should set up a rental service :D come on joe put the idea forward
0000000000 4 years ago
iamthe11oyd's avatar
iamthe11oyd 4 years ago
I've not got around to playing it yet, but timing it's release at the beginning of the 'Blockbuster season' might not have been the smartest move, they could have capitalised on the May-July window instead. Also, there is already too much DLC for this game, which you could argue should have been on the disc in the first place. I loved the first one (3rd platinum trophy, after ACII and NFS:HP) and i'm hoping to love this one too.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Yeah, it had a couple of problems. First, the constant delays meant people lost interest, that's never a good hing. second, IMHO, it's inferior to the first. I finished the first multiple times and loved every minute. Darksiders 2 was just boring. It was gorgeous to look at, and fun to play. But it got monotonous very quickly and within a few hours I had completely lost interst. It sits, still, on my pile of shame. I may go back to it over christmas, but it'll be a struggle to get it back into the disk tray
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I been looking forward to this one but it's probably gonna be one of those games I don't bother with, or take a while to do so. When I first saw it was on Wii U. Then they released the PS3 version. And now it looks like the Wii U version will be overpriced. So not so keen on it.
I'm sure even the Wii U version will be in the bargain bin in the new year.
iamthe11oyd's avatar
by all accounts though, some thought has gone in to the implementation of the 2nd screen.... switching menu items on the fly might not sound like much, but it if keeps you involved without needing to pause the game, then thats always a bonus.
iamthe11oyd 4 years ago
iamthe11oyd's avatar
sadly the delay in releasing the Wii U version to that of the PS3/360 versions, means the PS3 version was the more viable purchase for me (£17.99 for the Death Rides Edition @GAME.co.uk)..... had all 3 versions came out at the same time (at th Wii U launch) it would have been interesting to see which version was/is 'the best'... However sales would have been worse due to releasing in "COD/Halo season" in that regard, so THQ were always going to lose out, i guess losing out on the Wii U version, as opposed to all 3 versions made more sense.
iamthe11oyd 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
?onsciously or not people fear death and don't want to play with it. Plain and simple...
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Shame, these games have been decent enough, but it seems this franchise has now hit the wall. Maybe the Wii U version will make up the shortfall in sales? Haha... only joking :)
kdogground2's avatar
kdogground2 4 years ago
Well thats disapointing. It was a great game. Other than the Collectable hunt at the end I found the game fun and enjoyable from start to finish. Better than the original too. Though I never understood why War, the tanky warrior type got Double Jump and the speedy rogue type Death didn't.....
Lisa 4 years ago
There's nothing worse than delays and cancellations for those desperately waiting on games. I haven't played the game myself, as it simply didn't appeal to me, but I can relate to those who are disappointed by a sequel.
no47's avatar
no47 4 years ago
This is a real shame because despite some of the problems the game had which most have not been patched, this game is great. It's much better than the first game in terms of the story progression and gameplay mechanics, and Death is a more likable character imo. I hope the game does eventually reach it's estimated 2 million sales target, as i really would like to play a third game in the series.