Pachter - Medal of Honor franchise might be dead due to poor performance

Industry analyst Michael Pachter has said that the Medal of Honor franchise might be laid to rest after the poor sales and sub par review performance.

"The last iteration of Medal of Honor received an average Metacritic score of 75 in 2010 (after its predecessor received an average score of 73 in 2007), and EA management committed to improving quality with this year's release. Instead, with an average score of only 50, the game is likely to fall short of revenue expectations by 100 million dollars or more." said Pachter

"Perhaps more importantly, the poor performance of Medal of Honor makes it highly unlikely that EA can deliver significant digital revenues from DLC subscriptions next year, and sets the company up for a disappointing comparison to the 204 million dollars in digital revenues it expects from Battlefield this year," he noted.

"These missteps should not be taken lightly. A few years ago, EA management set forth a strategy to displace Activision as king of the first-person shooter heap, and said it intended the duo of Medal of Honor and Battlefield to alternate releases and slowly take share from Activision," Pachter said.

"Warfighter's review scores may have destroyed chances for sequels in the all-important first-person shooter segment of the market...We think that low review scores will impair EA's (and the Medal of Honor brand's) reputation with those who pre-ordered the game or bought it as soon as it was released (likely some of EA's most dedicated customers), and believe EA alienated at least a small portion of these gamers."

"Given the impairment to the Medal of Honor brand, we think EA is unlikely to take Activision's mantle as the leading developer of first-person shooters for several years."

Edited On 01 Nov, 2012

Comments
Bruticus's avatar
Bruticus 4 years ago
When you're taking on the COD franchise, you've got to step up to the plate and do something different. The last game hardly did that, I can't comment on the latest as I haven't played it, but unfortunately they're not the #1 FPS developer I would have said they were in the PS1 days
Adrian 4 years ago
I pre-order MoH and traded it in with in 2 days. The single play was average and the multiplayer was a major let down. As soon as I traded it in, I put Battlefield3 back in my xbox where has stayed.. apart from Assassin's Creed 3 of course. Battlefield in my eyes will take over CoD... in all honest, my whole group of friends play Battlefield over CoD, and would choose BF3 anytime.
veedubstar's avatar
veedubstar 4 years ago
Medal of Honor would get more sales if it was released April/May when COD is getting boring and people want another game to play , but bringing it out 3 weeks before COD your peeing in the wind !!! , EA need to admit they got it wrong and change release date
Zealotus's avatar
I think release window isn't the major issue here, if they want to compete at all they need a fresh and high quality title.
Zealotus 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i agree with u 100% they were brilliant on the ps1 and i would say the ps2 they were all brill with rising sun but thats about as far as i would go they are dead and buried now and i think they should start something new!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
It's a shame. It needed more dev time, nothing more. EA rushing it out the door to beat Call of Duty done nothing but damage it. Great game though, IMO I own it on PS3 and PC and it's spectacular. Just gotta sit back now and wait for EA to close Danger Close
adwan's avatar
adwan 4 years ago
Yep, miss timing of the release just a few weeks before Black Ops 2 is one issue. Rushed development is probably another. I also think the biggest problem is gamers are now starting to get bored of military FPS. Just look at how well other games are starting to do, with RPGs beggining to pick up in popularity again, and games like Dishonoured that do something different doing so well. It's time for a change. CoD has saturated the military FPS market all by itself with annual releases, there just isn't room for any other games with the exception of Battlefield as it provides something a little different to CoD. Medal of Honor just doesn't and is too close to what CoD already does that it just isn't needed.
Industry analyst works out what we all knew already, shock horror. :)
It's always nice to know someone has a nice fat paycheck for stating the obvious isn't it?! x
Lorna 4 years ago
no47's avatar
no47 4 years ago
Going off the reviews for this game it doesn't sound too good for the MOH franchise lol. However i will still give the game a chance by renting it out first, and making up my own mind on it. But i agree with some of the above posts that COD and BF games have the FPS market tied up at the minute.
troublemaker's avatar
True, But BF doesn't have a yearly release. MoH was it's bi-annual counterpart, similar to IW/Treyarch rotation for Call of Duty. Unfortunately, EA pushing it for release with it's competition will -probably be it's downfall. Which would be a shame, I always had a fondness for Medal of Honor
troublemaker 4 years ago
James Stuart 4 years ago
I think ultimately, EA were voted the worst company of the year for a reason. Ive had my issues with them with regards to DA2, ME3 and origin, and in my opinion they are no longer a company for consumers, but a company out to make as much cash as they can, by rushing things out for there own benefit. Anyway, i think the entire military FPS needs an overhaul, from MOH, thru to COD and BF. As a SP type of guy i feel let down that these games are focusing more on MP. I havent played a MOH for years, as ive not really enjoyed them. I was disappointed with MW3, as it was billed as WW3, when in reality, the war was practically over after the first two missions, and i thought BF was a damp squib as well.
James Stuart 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Maybe they could go back to their roots and set the game in WW2. Who wouldn't want to storm Normandy and give jerry what for using the frostbite engine.
Bruticus's avatar
WW2 has been done to death. Vietnam war was touched on by COD: BO, but I think a whole game based around it would be awesome
Bruticus 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
That's bollocks. It has hardly been done to death on conoles(not sure about pc). Not only that, the last good WW2 game was CoD2. Vietnam would be too green, not very cheerfull, and a loosing battle from the start.
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
adwan's avatar
what was CoD3 based on then?
adwan 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
I said the last GOOD WW2 game on consoles was CoD2, I didn't say the last WW2 game was CoD2.
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
While it's not a popular opinion, COD5 (World at War) was a pretty decent WW2 game, Wouldn't mind a new setting, but MoH isn't the franchise for it. The point of MOH was to tell real stories, so unless you go Korea, or Vietnam, or something like that, MoH will we WW2 or Modern. Now, Battlefield on the otherhand, can and has gone futuristic. I'll happilly do a single player game in the 2142 universe. In Frostbite
troublemaker 4 years ago
Bruticus's avatar
I think World at War is probably the best WW2 shooter out there, you can't compare it to COD2 because of how much newer WaW is. COD2 was hard as nuts, I don't think I ever completed it on the hardest setting, but it has really aged since release
Bruticus 4 years ago
adwan's avatar
Sorry Happynoodleboy, I misunderstood what you wrote. I also forgot about World at War. I do agree with Bruticus that WW2 has been done to death. There are loads on consoles, current and past ones. All the Medal of Honour games, Brothers in Arms, Sniper Elite, the early CoD games, to name but a few.
adwan 4 years ago
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
I would love another world war medal of honor
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
its sad shame it didnt take off i did enjoy it,sp was really done well and the ending got me holding back the tears,mp is ok but ive gotten a bit bored of it now(sadly)i shall be trading it in as pointless letting it gather dust when i can use the credit on something else if it picks up with more maps ect i might buy it again.