Rumour - Playstation 4 development kits being sent out

VG247 has posted news that they have received word from multiple sources, stating that new Playstation 4 development kits are currently in the process of being sent out to developers, with the final version of the PS4 hardware expected to be sent out in January 2013.

There are rumoured to be four versions of the development kits being sent out. The version shipping now is essentially a "modified PC" with the rough final spec one being sent out in January 2013.

Select US developers have attended a "disclosure meeting" at Sony's offices during the week with more meetings planned for the coming weeks. The purpose of these meetings is for Sony to tell the development studios what the next Playstation has been designed to do, show off hardware and other presentations.

VG247's source stated that Sony has only been calling the machine, Orbis, the project codename, and has not being using 'Playstation 4' in any of the meetings.

The "ultimate goal" for the hardware, VG247 were told, is for the next console to be able to run 1080p 60fps games in 3D with "no problem," to create a machine that's powerful enough for 'today and tomorrow's market'. Apparently, the current dev kits have either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM.

The source also states that Sony is trying to create an launch affordable machine this time round, therefor avoiding the problems surrounding the Playstation 3 back in 2007.

Edited On 01 Nov, 2012

Comments
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
hopefully along with the launch affordable machines, the launch game titles will be sweet.
So much for the 10 year lifespan they told us the PS3 would have.
Hymeleon's avatar
So much what? PS3 will still be supported after the launch of this "Orbis". X360 hovewer will be dropped by M$ right after next-box launch if not earlier.
Hymeleon 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
PS2 is still supported, is it not? I reckon the PS3 has a couple of healthy years yet
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Hymeleon's avatar
Exactly.
Hymeleon 4 years ago
The PS2 is still supported? What, a couple of games a year, the Dreamcast had a game made for it in Japan last year, is that not dead either then? It's just the way things are, a new console comes along and developers stop making games for the old one and concentrate on the new one. When the PS4 hits the PS3 will have a year left at best.
Jimbo_1's avatar
10 year life span does not mean the successor won't be out before that. - MS and developers dropped original xbox with new games as they were not selling well and concentrated on the 360. - With over 70 million 360 out there MS would be stupid to drop support for the 360 when the Next box comes. - Only about 22 million original xbox's sold to what 110 million ps2's? No wonder the ps2 was supported for longer. - Though XBL for original Xbox was supported longer than the ps2 counterpart. - I play older games on my console id they allow it peed me off when my 60GB Ps3 died :(
Jimbo_1 4 years ago
adwan's avatar
It's 6 years this November since the ps3 launched in Japan. Final Dev kits are expected Jan 2013, for developers to start making games. Expect at least 12 to 24 months after that before we see a release, that takes us to 7/8 years of PS3. There will be at least 2 solid years if support from plenty of developers & Sony. Equals 10 years.
adwan 4 years ago
Maybe, maybe not.
AvatarIII's avatar
it only needs to survive 4 more years this month, I reckon the PS4 might come out towards the end of 2015, (because I doubt it will be as soon as 2014, although 2014 isn't impossible) giving the PS3 9 (maybe 8) years at the top, and it would only need to be supported for 1 (or maybe 2) year for the crossover, (and the PS2 was supported for much longer than that) for it to have a solid 10 year lifespan.
AvatarIII 4 years ago
iamthe11oyd's avatar
iamthe11oyd 4 years ago
why do i get the feeling that the recently launched [in the US] Microsoft 360 subscription model (ala Mobile phone contracts) is going to be adopted for the next gen.... Might not be a bad way to go about it if they price it right - say £15 p/m for 2 years and that includes Gold/PS+ subscription - that's £720 total, which aint bad if the consoles are likely to cost £400-£500 up front anyway.
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
Hopefully Gaikai will be set up to stream games by then, too
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
Sounds good enough, but backward compatibility is what really matters...
I wouldn't hold your breath, one of the reasons the PS3 was so expensive at launch was the addition of backwards compatibility, which they soon dropped to save money, and it sounds like they don't want to make that mistake again.
Zealotus's avatar
Remember the PS3 had backwards compatibility cut, I could see Sony shooting themselves in the foot again. I hope these guys wake up and realise even if its just their first iteration of a new console that has it, consoles really need backwards compatibility.
Zealotus 4 years ago
Do they though? I can't say I've ever played an Xbox game on my 360, or a Gamecube game on my Wii, even though both could.
Definitely. Will be so disappointing if it doesn't have that.
Lisa 4 years ago
adwan's avatar
I reckon it won't have it. There's just no real need for it other than early adopters having a few extra games to play. If you're that desperate for backwards comparability keep your PS3.
adwan 4 years ago
I always keep all my old consoles, I piled them all up in a tower the other day, was quite impressive :)
kdogground2's avatar
Actually only wii was really backwards compatable. The 360 was only backwards compatable for certin games. Such a disapointment when I went to play Guilty Gear only for it not to work(Even more annoying the game was backwards in other regions. And the wii in it's self was no good for backwards gaming since it's main controller was the wiimote that didn't work with the backwards compatable games. So you needed the Game Cube controller keep the gamecube.
kdogground2 4 years ago
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
1080p only? I want 4K games! :D
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
1080p only? I want 4K games! :D
Lisa 4 years ago
Good news, although I hope they don't rush it as they really don't need to. They should take their time and make sure it is a worthy upgrade. It's good that they they're thinking about affordability as I certainly didn't buy my PS3 straight away because of that reason, among others. Also, I don't think they should focus too much on the 3D aspect as I don't think a lot of people will buy into it, I'm personally too bothered with it.
Lisa 4 years ago
I'm personally too **not bothered with it.
adwan's avatar
adwan 4 years ago
8-16gb of RAM is a lot. A lot more than is probably needed really. With Dev kits only just going out now I wouldn't expect to see anything other than a quick demo and maybe the console at next years E3. Might not even see it at all, just have it announced with spec details. Looks like we may see the next Xbox before the next Playstation too as it seems to have been with devs for at least the last 6 months if not longer.
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
i stick with xbox,ive had ps1 ps2 xbox ps3 xbox 360 i just keep going bk to xbox,but i like to see what the ps3 will look like tho,just wish they make a better controller,its one of the reasons i dont like the ps3
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
It's not the equipment that sells me the PS4/Orbis/WTF. It's the customer service afterwards. The EU side of SEN has been getting screwed for months now and I'm finding it hard to support Sony and Playstation as long as they are not supporting Europe the way they should. Still, with this news today, I expect more Nextbox news by the end of the weekend which should be interesting. Release dates, price points, and launch lineup. These are the things that interest me and will sway me in the direction of one console or the other, until this info is delivered, I'll sit back and wait with my PS3 thanks
adwan's avatar
I don't think either console is particulary good towards it's EU customer base. They just don't like the fact there is such a lot of region work involved in everything they do for the EU. The Uk though should probably be treated more closely to US. There's little in the region work and no reason we can't get releases and content the US gets. TV shows are getting closer, why not games?
adwan 4 years ago
kdogground2's avatar
kdogground2 4 years ago
While others have touched on it, my biggest worry about next gen consoles, thanks to the vita is backwords compatability. I buy so many games. I buy them new on release and normally CEs when avaliable. Now that digital gaming is around we might be expected just to buy all the games again just because we didn't wait the months for a digital copy to show up if it does at all. Adding that this has been the longest lifespan of consoles to date means more people have racked up more games than normal. Next gen really needs backwards compatability or at least a way to transision into it like allowing us free downloads of digital copies of games we can prove we own. If any company does these things while the others don't I believe they will outsell and destroy the others regardless of the others quality or games.
ALIAS's avatar
ALIAS 4 years ago
i got a PS3 back in 2010 july No way I'm i going next gen so many game to play right now exclusive games anyway.
Kettle11's avatar
Kettle11 4 years ago
Knowing Sony, most of what we need to know will be leaked a few months before E3. I have a good feeling about the launch line-up now though, now that Sony know they're not indestructible. All they need to do is launch The Last Guardian on PS4 and I'll have it pre-ordered immediately.
Kettle11's avatar