Rumour - Microsoft developing their own smartphone

According to the Wall Street Journal, Microsoft is currently developing their first entry into the smartphone world.

The Windows Phone maker is currently working with Asian component suppliers to test a new smartphone device, a Wall Street Journal investigation revealed.

Early information on the Microsoft phone are unclear, but the report suggests at the in house device will have a screen larger than the iPhone 5. It could even be up to 5 inches, putting it larger than the 4.8 inch Samsung Galaxy S3 and smaller than the face-sized Samsung Galaxy Note.

"We're quite happy this holiday going to market hard with Nokia, Samsung and HTC," a tight-lipped Ballmer said. "Whether we had a plan to do something different or we didn't have a plan I wouldn't comment in any dimension."

Edited On 02 Nov, 2012

Comments
Bruticus's avatar
Bruticus 4 years ago
Which, like their tablet, won't be competitively priced to make an impact on the market, so will blend in with the swathe of existing devices.....
neohawk's avatar
neohawk 4 years ago
Unless they deliver something really amazing this would be doomed from the start.
clubpit's avatar
clubpit 4 years ago
The phones may not be selling and the tablet may be overpriced, but you can see the formation of a long term strategy emerging with the unified user interface across PC's, tablets, mobiles and the 360. Something Apple are some way off achieving. With the dominance Microsoft has in the PC and gaming market over the competition you can see that they'll get some traction into the other form factors when it all has the same look and feel. You've got the believe that somewhere in Microsoft they have Halo for mobile and tablets in development. When they do, you've got a common platform for all your Office and Halo products across all form factors. That'll be the day when Microsoft turn the corner.
I thought they already did Windows phones.
Yes they do have windows phones but these are based on HTC/Nokia phones, not Microsoft specific phones.
Rachael 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Yeh my windows phone is on HTC, would be interested on getting a full fledge microsoft phone though seeing as my contract finished in a few months.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I don't know why they're bothering then, they already have their OS out there, and that's all they need for compatibility with their other systems surely.
Monstar 92x's avatar
Monstar 92x 4 years ago
i have an S3 and i think the screen is a little on the large side, so 5 inches might be massive, need bigger pockets :D
Bruticus's avatar
I had a hands on experience with a Galaxy Note the other day. Now that is a ridiculous size!! I don't think personally I will ever go above 4.3" screen, otherwise I may aswell just start carrying my tablet around in my pocket, haha
Bruticus 4 years ago
Monstar 92x's avatar
Monstar 92x 4 years ago
ALIAS's avatar
ALIAS 4 years ago
I have been using the same phone almost 5 years. Still use a nokia 5800i The dark knight I call it because it was use in the film.lol But if this smartphone is really good, good price and useful with the xbox 360 may consider upgrading.
Khazrak's avatar
Khazrak 4 years ago
I was going to get a WP8 next year when the contract on my HTC HD7 expires, but I might hold off and wait and see what MS do. I got my Surface tablet on Wednesday, and absolutely love that! Recently sold my iPhone 3GS, I just need something better than the iPod now and I'll be Apple product freeeeee! :-D
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
Ugh, hate smartphones. Bought an old brick type phone for £40 that lasted me about 11 years when it finally stopped charging. Thought I may aswell upgrade to a Nokia N8 seeing as thats what all the cool kids are doing. After less than 2 years I have a £200 pound camera/MP3 player as it refuses to make or take and calls or texts. Tell me, why do they call these hunks of crap "Smart" phones?
ROFL, I'm still on my Nokia 3410 :)