Wii U GamePad can be used as a universal remote

It's been revealed that you can use the Wii U Gamepad as a universal control, meaning that you'll no longer need about six different controllers for all your devices.

Joystiq reports that the Wii U GamePad features built-in universal remote functionality, allowing players to use the touchscreen to turn TVs on and off, change channels on your cable and sky box and turn the volume up and down.

This sounds like a pretty great idea to me. Every time I want to play a game I have to change the TV to the correct input, usually adjust the volume and of course load up the game. Putting all these functions into one controller will certainly save me from looking under all the sofas.What do you think of this?

Edited On 11 Nov, 2012

Comments
Pretty cool I suppose, doubt I'll ever use it though.
Rachael 4 years ago
It's a nice little touch, But that's all really. Will stop me having to replace the batteries in all my remotes too I suppose :P
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
im even more and more tempted to buy this wii u now and the use of the gamepad as a remote is a nice touch save having to use a dozen remotes as well comes in handy
Wey1's avatar
neat idea.
Wey1 4 years ago
Acid360's avatar
Acid360 4 years ago
I like this little feature its a good idea and Nintendo has so much potential with the extra screen.
Double A's avatar
Double A 4 years ago
This is actually a really simple but neat feature to include. I mean its really not that much of an issue to change the channel or volume with a different remote but its nice to have the option of a universal one. I'm still waiting until Monster Hunter drops to pick mine up.
adwan's avatar
adwan 4 years ago
Using tablets as universal remotest becoming popular now so this is a sensible move by Nintendo. I must admit the tablet controller features are sounding pretty good.
Shnoorum's avatar
Shnoorum 4 years ago
If it can flick through all the HDMI ports then I'm in. Getting tired of having to get up and use the buttons on the tv. Yeah, I'm a really active healthy person
adwan's avatar
adwan 4 years ago
Just like the rest of us no doubt!
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Interesting to see how many devices it is actually compatible with though,
I'm hoping it'll double as a 360 media remote, mine stopped working today for some reason.
adwan's avatar
That's a good point, best guess will be that it will only work with smart TVs, can't imagine it will work with other consoles though
adwan 4 years ago
Acid360's avatar
Acid360 4 years ago
Hey Gloria if you have a tablet or even a smart phone then all you need is xbox smart glass there no need for media remote now. Xbox smart glass is awesome :)
I don't.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Its not really something I'll probably use. Although the batteries on my remote are starting to go... but it's an interesting feature none-the-less. Nice that it's out of the box.
SuperJag86's avatar
SuperJag86 4 years ago
The remote gaming feature is interesting but there isn't a single reason I'd want to buy a Wii U now over what I can play on my PS3 and PC. It's come way too late in my opinion.
Tyrone 4 years ago
ARGHHHH every time I see a video on the Wii U it makes me jealous I'm not getting one on launch day!!! I've had ALL my Nintendo products launch day and this makes me honestly want to cry.... Always believe this console will sell BIG & I'm sure we can all look forward to see a Mario Glalaxy, Smash Bro's & Zelda game in full 1080p graphics will be AMAZING!!!
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
It's OK for Nintendo to keep developing new ways to play and operate their systems. Even if they devised a new control method of an orb of glowing, pulsating energy which reacted to touch - it would still be how good the games were going to be, which would sell the console to me, not necessarily how I played them! ;)
Wizowes's avatar
Wizowes 4 years ago
A bit big for a remote and a controller.