Halo 4 rakes in over $220 million global sales in first 24 hours on sale

Microsoft has announced that Halo 4 has made entertainment history last week by reaching $220 Million worth in sales over the first 24 hours of release, making it the biggest entertainment launch of all time.

Here's some information from the Microsoft press release:

Halo 4 eclipsed the previous record for the biggest day one opening in U.S. box office history, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, and the biggest movie of 2012, The Avengers - based on American sales alone.

The launch of Halo 4 propelled lifetime sales for the Halo franchise beyond $3.38 billion, cementing its status as one of the most popular entertainment franchises in the world. Halo 4 also shattered the record for the largest number of players in the history of the Halo franchise, with over 4 million players in the first five days. Users spent a total of 31.4 million hours playing Halo 4, pushing the total number of gameplay hours across the Halo franchise well beyond the five billion mark.

Edited On 13 Nov, 2012

Comments
Shame the record will probably be broken by this time tomorrow.
iamthe11oyd's avatar
Damn you Gloria!..... i was just about to type "That's about to change" and you beat me to it, lol ; )
iamthe11oyd 4 years ago
cocksie's avatar
And that doesn't matter, don't forget black ops 2 will be avalible on 4 consoles (PC, PS3 , Xbox 360 , Wii U) this is still amazing its beat all of the other COD games so far on first day sales which are also multi format... great game aswell
cocksie 4 years ago
Sorry ;)
rjc's avatar
Wow! That is tremendous.
rjc 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Quite surprising really. I'd have thought Assassin's Creed woulda done better myself. Although Microsoft are a lot more vocal about their sales than some of the other publishers.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I do like how microsoft make it sound huge with the biggest entertainment launch of all time. What they dont tell you is that console sales and limited edition sales are counted in that figure. Of course it is going to sell more then movies as a cinema ticket is £10 where as a game is usually £40.
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
well deserved i say,the game is smooth and runs really well,still playing sp and its amazing,but as we all know a certain game as always will take the limelight.still i think halo is brilliant and im looking forward to more halo games in the future.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I think that if Halo 4 was a multi-platform title it would more than likely out do Black ops 2 aswell.
Tyrone 4 years ago
Wow...... Incredible sale numbers. BUT we all now right now COD must be absolutely KILLING this and its out EVERY year which seems a bit sad for gaming reasons for me! But don't get me wrong Halo is one of my favorite franchises ever! Will be picking this up soon to finish the story!
Robichoico's avatar
Out every year? What's that got to do with anything? Last year we had a remake of Halo, year before was Halo Reach, 2009 had ODST, 2008 had Halo Wars and 2007 had Halo 3. So surely by this logic Halo is as bad as COD is for yearly iterations.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Tyrone 4 years ago
343i have done an Amazing job on this game, Now I cant wait for Halo 5. Add me on Xbox if you fancy a few games (GT SaiyanNox. who would have thunk.)
Wizowes's avatar
Wizowes 4 years ago
Wouldn't surprise me if cod takes over too bad really halo 4 looks good just don't have the money. :(
COP3Y DUNT's avatar
COP3Y DUNT 4 years ago
Dayum, thats alot of zeroes...
tomas 4 years ago
Woww that is a lot of wonga they will proberly make this amount of money on the others they realease. Surly this amount of lolly would jolt someones mind to make a halo film the movie will make so much money if made well enough
tomas 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Hopefully they will make out a film, Peter jackson would have to direct it though cus in the wrong hands it could ruin everything lol
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
GAZZAAAAAAAAA's avatar
GAZZAAAAAAAAA 4 years ago
I've actually never played a Halo game shocking I know but like the look of this Halo 4 would I need to play the whole series to get this or could I jump in on Halo 4 or 3 even?