Future Publishing closes Xbox World and PSM3 Magazines

UK media business Future has confirmed the closure of Xbox World and PSM3 magazines in the UK, as it continues its focus on continuing digital growth.

Future aim to redeploy staff affected by the closures across the business, the final issues of the unofficial magazines will go on sale Wednesday, December 12.

Future's Head of Entertainment,?Clair Porteous,?said: "After careful consideration, Future has made the decision to close Xbox World and PSM3 magazines with the final issues going on sale on December 12th 2012."

"This decision has been taken as Future continues to focus on its strategy on accelerating digital growth across its international digitally-focussed brand business.Future's gaming portfolio saw over 14m unique users for October 2012 - up over 20% on October 2011. We intend and fully expect there to be no redundancies and will be looking to redeploy all staff within the business."

"Future continues to publish the highly successful Official Magazines for Xbox and PlayStation."

Xbox World was launched by Computec Media in 2003, before being purchased by Future later the same year alongside sister mag PlayStation World.

PSM3 was launched by Future in 2000 as PSM2 and has published over 160 issues.

Edited On 13 Nov, 2012

Comments
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Sounds like they're dropping like flies. Makes sense however since by the time the magazines get out the same news and reviews have been everywhere else for some time, news its usually a month or two. I been buying Nintendo Official Magazine since I was about 6 or so lol. Would be really sad to see that one go. On the other hand, wouldn't object to see Games Master go. I cringe everytime I pick it up on the shelves.
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Thats sad for everyone involved. I loved PSM3 as it was pitched just about right. Wasn't for children (like Gamesmaster) and wasn't up its own bottom (like Edge & Games tm which started out amazing and then became terrible and dry). Now that Gamespot has gone rubbish & IGN is for sale I guess there are fewer places for me to visit to find out about my favourite waste of time.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I been buying the Official Xbox magazine for years, would be bit gutted if that went under. Always sad to see people losing their jobs though.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
How about a PS3 and Xbox disc for magazines moving forwards so you can read it on your ps3 with a mini game or ps2 game thrown in. Could be a good place for budding developers to showcase there stuff, get the magazines working in a different way. I remember always buying the official ps mags for the Net Yaroze games, some which were really good!
Robichoico's avatar
problem is that all of these cost more. And considering Magazines are going away due to the internet I can't see the promise of demos or games being an option.
Robichoico 4 years ago
lou86's avatar
lou86 4 years ago
Sad news all round i used to buy this mag couple times a year got me through some sad times lol well there plenty more fish in the sea.R.I.P PSM3 2000-2012 you be surely missed.
Hardly surprising, I don't know how paper magazines survive these days.
Bruticus's avatar
It won't be long, especially if certain magazines keep charging you £6 for something that used to be twice as thick
Bruticus 4 years ago
Tyrone 4 years ago
Just shows what websites like N4g/Kotaku & other magazine type websites do to actual magazines. It was always going to happen when the XBOX?PS3 first came out people barely used the internet for gaming news but relied on these to bring it. Now with how fast the internet is people know about something within HOURS of being leaked and these guys are having to give that information monthly. its a sad thing but its just common sense now to either stick to website news or stop all together! Even though i was a huge collector of Xbox magazines!
Tyrone 4 years ago
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
its the curse of the internet again everyone gets there info from the net for free and then it affects the magazine industry sad shame as peoples lively hood is now being affected by the internet used to love a good old mag but now even i use digital mags online
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
It was always coming. I used to be a regular reader of PSM3, even having subscribed to it. I started just getting ti from the shops, and then it disappeared. It disappeared from the local newsagents, it disappeared from the local tescos, it disappeared from everywhere bar a 30 minute drive ASDA. It either wasn't selling well or was getting held back, so it's not suprising to me to hear this. I really liked it too, even though I'd read most of the stuff on the internet, it was still a good read.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Apart from the occasional Big Issue/Private Eye I haven't bought a magazine for at least 5 years. I used to get loads for games/films/music news but as has been mentioned before they are just redundant now thanks to the Internet.