Standard Wii U only has 3GB of space left after required installs

Whoops! Nintendo has revealed the smaller 8GB model will only have 3GB of space left once the system has finished downloading its mandatory installs.

It's not all bad news though, owners of the Standard Wii U will be able to buy an external hard drive if they'd like to install games. Apparently even the relatively small Nintendoland weighs in at 3.2GB, eek!

The Wii U will support up to 2TB of memory from drives that have an external power source. Nintendo has suggested USB storage can be used, although it isn't recommended.

Edited On 15 Nov, 2012

Comments
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
not being funny but if you have just spent £300+ on a top of the range console you shouldn't have to seek out more money for an external hard-drive. This won't affect the die-hards getting this but its put me off it a bit.
A few problems with your statement. It's 250GBP for the basic Wii U & It's not a top of the range console. I do agree with the point you're trying to make though
LFC Bywater's avatar
my bad about the price lol, i think that the wiiU is trying to be a contender with the 360/PS3 and some people have even said its the first next gen console. Glad you saw my point though.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Bruticus's avatar
Bruticus 4 years ago
To be fair, I can't see the average family using 3gb of storage if you don't download games....
rjc's avatar
Yeah, I agree Bruticus. The casual crowd won't be fussed by this.
rjc 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
And how many gig have we wasted on mandatory updates on other consoles for stuff we didn't need or want? The Vita itself seems to go through GB like water. I, like most other people already did the necessary preperations and bought me a 2TB external Hard Drive for £60. Should last me a few years.
lou86's avatar
lou86 4 years ago
There doing this alot now. Bruticus you are correct this system is aimed for people who dont download stuff. As Sony has done the same with the new slim line PS3 thats 12GB, An this is according to Lee Fox one of the managers at Sony Playstation. So it looks like this will be happening alot with all systems
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Not exactly a great leap forward if GB space is already an issue with a new machine. Technology is still playing with our cash - memory is still held with a ransom demand to the customers. GBs (or lack thereof) shouldn't even be news in 2012. The increases we're seeing as each year goes by is at a very slow pace. To think a new console will only have 3GB of usable space is a joke. It's OK for marketing to release different models but many people won't have a clue about install sizes and whatever. Isn't it enough we get about five different versions of a game released that consoles aren't even the same for everyone.
Robichoico's avatar
They said it themselves that its gonna be cheaper for both them and consumers to just buy external harddrives as opposed to marking up the machine. Nintendo know that not everyone will use the full amount. The White Machine is intended for those who are just gonna use the console for saves. Hell the 32 GB version costs an extra £50 and you get a game included with that and what seems to be plenty of memory to get people started. Nintendo know that the people buying the extra stuff are the ones who are gonna be doing major downloading. And putting an extra TB is gonna drive the price up by another £80 or so. And where does that take us? People crying about the price. Not like the other's are doing it. Want a 360 350GB extra? That's £70 mate, however an external 2TB for the Wii U is gonna cost exactly the same. And the same again it seems for the Vita for a 32 GB one.
Robichoico 4 years ago
ALIAS's avatar
ALIAS 4 years ago
To say it has 8gb and only give it 3GB it a low blow. I would understand if it was 6gb left but 3 whoa. This Console is coming out this month and I have not seen one single advertisement for it. I don't think it will do as good as the Wii, only know two people that might pick it up.
Same as the original 360 20GB model, only 13 GB of which was free.
No big deal, it's the low end model for casual gamers, anyone serious about their games will be buying the premium bundle anyway.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Nintendo hyping this console's "all titles downloadable day one" approach to digital content and it doesn't even come with enough space to even download ONE of those titles? Yet another Wii U failure and the console isn't even out yet.
rjc's avatar
New Super Mario Bros. U is 1.8gb so you'll be able to fit one on. Probably not anymore lol.
rjc 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
So if you are going to download everything why would you be buying a 8GB console instead of the larger one?
Robichoico 4 years ago
If Nintendo have failed by making a cheaper model with less memory I guess Sony and Microsoft must have failed as well.
ALIAS's avatar
ALIAS 4 years ago
That is true, the xbox did it as well but at least 13gb would last a long time. Most devices do this. I just think Nintendo should of offered a bit more from the start. I guess this might be ok for the casual gamer but for how long?
Robichoico's avatar
They did. They offered you an extra game and more memory for an extra £50. Considering same game is £40 seperate you are pretty much paying £10 for the extra memory.
Robichoico 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i think thats pretty poor for the price of it basic or not.. another reason i wont be buying this console.. nintendo as much as i loved my GBA have not done anything that will compete with others for years... sadly as like i said i loved nintendos back in the day!! O well
Have you even played any Nintendo games since the GBA? They're still making great games and have easily had some of the best games of the last generation.
iamthe11oyd's avatar
iamthe11oyd 4 years ago
I hope they've learned their lesson since the R4 carts that ruined the DS market. . I can't help but feeling the machine will be 'cracked' within weeks to allow ripped/downloaded titles to be played from an external HDD without the need for the disc, and then it'll be the R4 cart scenario all over again.
The R4 was a big problem. I admit I have one but it was only for playing my GBA games on my DSI and recording Pokemon Battles. Not once did I have a game on it that I didn't pay for
Tyrone 4 years ago
Wow... Nintendo this is not what I want to read!! For a new generation of console I understand they've left the data storage up to us but they should've at least of made the sizes abit bigger seeing as they knew what the update sizes would've been at launch! But were lucky now we ca easily get a 1TB hard drive for at least £40 from any major store so I guess we can all count ourselfs lucky and should just take this with a pinch of salt!
Hey, least they don't screw you over on storage devices like Sony do ;)
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Well done Nintendo, start as you mean to go on. I imagine a few months after launch you'll need to buy an add-on for the controller in order to play some of the games to their 'full potential'.
Robichoico's avatar
Agreed. Why can't they be like Sony and not do stupid stuff like Eyetoys and Moves? Or how about Microsoft and Kinect? The difference is that Nintendo will likely have game games that are worth buying the extra stuff for. Then again. Come to think of it with the Wii the only extras I got were the Motion Plus...which was bundled with Wii Sports, Red Steel 2 and Zelda and the other was the classic controller...which was bundled with Monster Hunter, Xenoblade, Goldeneye and another. I ended up with so many of the extras simply by buying the games they were for lol
Robichoico 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Wouldn't be surprised to see new gamepad in 2013. Featuring HD++ visuals or some such naff name to it. We are video game sheep as we're always being fleeced. ;)
Barada 4 years ago
I doubt it, they've got their bases pretty well covered already with 3 different types of controller.
4. WiiMote, Classic Controller, Wii U Tablet & what is really a glorified Xbox 360 pad The Wii U Pro Controller.
& I don't think we Gamers are as big as Sheep as the Apple faithful.
Oh yes, I forgot about the classic controller.
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
After Nintendo released countless versions of their DS - updated a minimum of twice a year it seems - anything is possible. I don't trust them to make us feel satisfied for too long. Six years for the Wii was a brave move. I will be playing the Wii U so they already have me in their pocket - being bought as a present from my girlfriend, for her son and I - that's her excuse. She said she wouldn't get it, awhile ago, now it's on preorder! She's still a gamer anyway, not as though she wasn't interested. ;)
Robichoico's avatar
There were four versions of the DS. Classic which was the large and chunky, DS:Lite. Which was the smaller one. DSi: Which had cameras in and I think you couldn't use the e-shop on earlier. And the XL, which was made with intention for those people who can't see the screen quite as well. So four versions. Sure we have all different colours but you don't really need to buy all of them. On the other hand. Sony has had Three versions of the console out. Big and Huge chunky, slim and now super slim. We could say four if we included the version that plays PS2 games. No doubt before the console dies we'll see a further version.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
I was merely trying the cynical route in my original post. Sometimes you feel they don't want to release something too good, otherwise they won't have anything new to put in stores the following year or two down the line. I'm still looking forward to the Wii U.. ;)
Barada 4 years ago
Taz 4 years ago
A next generation console with only 8GB of memory...why? I know there are bigger models but c'mon.
Barada's avatar
Nintendo's memory must cost more than everyone else's - they must ship it from the Mario Galaxy.
Barada 4 years ago
hXcPete's avatar
hXcPete 4 years ago
3GB!? I've filled a 250GB HDD on the Xbox, oh dear...
mrmascal4's avatar
mrmascal4 4 years ago
It must be a joke, really. In this day and age, you can not expect to sell a console for 300+ without any storage. Very poor. Is Nintendo's luck running out?
Robichoico's avatar
Sony are doing it with their Vita. And I believe you can get small PS3s too. I bought a 2TB Hard Drive for £60 for mine. Which should be enough to keep me going forever.
Robichoico 4 years ago