Playstation 3 hits 70 million sold worldwide, Move waggles 15 million

Sony today announced that the sales of the PlayStation 3 reached the impressive milestone of 70 million units worldwide as of November 4th.

Sony announced the news through their Japanese blog earlier today, It's less than six years since the platform launched in 2006. Sony also announced that sales of the PlayStation Move motion controller surpassed 15 million units worldwide as of November 11th, showing that the motion controller still had life in it yet.

There are now over 3,590 games published for the PlayStation 3, with over 595 million units sold worldwide. Also noted was the fact that it's been just over two years since the Playstation Move launched in September 2010 and Move is now supported by over 400 games on the platform.

The PlayStation Network launched alongside the PlayStation 3 in November 2006 and is now available in 59 territories, offering 170,000 pieces of downloadable content, 57,000 game-related, with the rest being other entertainment such items as movies, music and sports. The PlayStation store was recently re-launched in October in Europe, South America and the US.

Edited On 16 Nov, 2012

Comments
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
blimey they sold that many george formans!!
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
15 Million people were, like myself tricked into buying a Move with the promise of games... People satisfied with the move probably average about 20 or so
COP3Y DUNT's avatar
COP3Y DUNT 4 years ago
Thats alot of wonga sony's made.
rjc's avatar
Wow, amazing figure. Great to see. Hope Sony can get back on track.
rjc 4 years ago
Scatigno's avatar
Scatigno 4 years ago
I'm surprised at the Move numbers. I was one of the believers when it first game out but then I lost interest. The best game I think I played with Move was House of the Dead: Overkill. I'm happy that Sony have been able to sell so many Units. The PS3 really is an amazing system. I got mine at launch and paid a fortune. I kind of hated on it for a long time because there wasn't that many good exclusive games, the online service was mediocre and the quality of mutil-platform titles were abysmal. The Xbox was killing it. However, Sony managed to turn it around, they started releasing fantastic games, the Uncharted series has become my favourite series of this generation, and it just keeps getting better and better. There is life left in the old dog yet, but if this is the kind of epic games we can expect from the Playstation family going forth then the PS4 should be mind blowing.
Robichoico's avatar
its not really surprising at all in my opinion. For some people it's also a blu-ray player. I know my parents bought one because it doubled as one and it's now the primary use.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Scatigno's avatar
I meant I was surprised at the sales of the Move controller. I'm not surprised at the sales of the PS3 system it's self. It's an excellent piece of hardware and there was no doubt in my mind it would sell so many one Sony started to cut the price.
Scatigno 4 years ago
MY Ps3 is my JRPJG machine. Out of the 23 Games I own for the system 15 Games are JRPGs & I haven't even played 12 of them
16 games I forgot Tales of Graces F
Robichoico's avatar
lemme see: 1: Trinity Universe 2: Disgaea 3 3: Disgaea 4 4: FFXIII 5: FFXIII-2 6: Rune Factory Origins 7: Tales of Graces F 8,9, 10: Atelier Totori games 11: Ar Tonelico: Qoga Knell of Ar Ciel 12: Resonance of Fate 13: Hyperdimension Neptunia 14: Valkyria Chronicles 15: Star Ocean 4 16: Hyperdimension Neptunia 2 That's excluding the three Agarest Games, Mugen Souls, White Knight Chronicles and Nier (because Nier is more like Zelda. Either way it's a crime if you don't own it.) Did I miss any?
Robichoico 4 years ago
Baiken_'s avatar
I agree with Robi. Nier is very underrated and its a crime if you don't own it!
Baiken_ 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Not used the PS3 Move controllers for any games, yet. Isn't that a worrying sign - have a few games with Move compatibility but don't feel the need to have it in the games! The Blu-Ray player addition was a waste of time for me; it only upped the price. The girlfriend and I still buy cheaper DVDs for a separate DVD player!
iamthe11oyd's avatar
iamthe11oyd 4 years ago
I too am surprised by the Move figure, but i do wonder if that is total (of the 3) components (Wand, Nav, Eye) or just based on the wand alone... It's got to be the former surely.... Regardless, Move hasn't been the total failure a lot of people seem to think it has been [for me]... RE5:GE in co-op with Move has been one of this generations stand-out moments for me... Heavy Rain was fun too.... I'm intrigued to see what Portal 2 & Okami HD can do with it..... I've yet to try Resistance 3 & Killzone 3 (too many games too little time) but i've heard good things about those too. On top of that (through PSN) I've the "lightgun" games; House of the Dead 4 & Overkill, Res Evil UC & DC, and Dead Space Extraction.... Doesn't Infamous 2 (or Festival of Blood) have Move support too, anopther one i've got in the pile.... So yeah Move has had support, but i guess you could argue it's not had the 'killer app' that Nintendo have relaesed over time (say Zelda: Skyward Sword as a good example)
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
Well done SONY:P + they did it with 99% of the internet against them to. I hope the internet haters are crying into their soups :D
99%, you are joking aren't you? Nintendo have far more haters than Sony does :)
shenmue4real's avatar
shenmue4real 4 years ago
Shipped not sold to customers but still good for Sony.
Skiba's avatar
MS numbers are shipped as well the PS3 came out a year latter so it is very impressive.
Skiba 4 years ago
ALIAS's avatar
ALIAS 4 years ago
Got my PS3 back in 2010 it good, I just but PS3 exclusive for it. Now I started using the Blu-ray.
lou86's avatar
lou86 4 years ago
No shock to this as im on my 8th PS3 they good consoles but badly made. 3 YLOD an 4 lens issues i have the worst luck.
Robichoico's avatar
8th!? Geez that's bad. Surely Sony should be replacing them?
Robichoico 4 years ago
Skiba's avatar
that sounds like crap to me MS had the bad RROD if you have had 8 then your doing something very wrong with them never had one PS3 break on me.
Skiba 4 years ago
Tyrone 4 years ago
For a console with such a bad reputation for breaking easily & quality of first titles. I just don't see the PS3 being such a hit in my eyes... I know I'm, going to get hated for saying this. But everywhere we think Sony have out don't themselves Xbox has ALWAYS seemed to obliterate that, and I stand firmly in believing the next Xbox will destroy the next PS... But a huge Congrats on the numbers Sony!!
Skiba's avatar
take your 360 goggles of for a second the 360 has had the biggest failure rate by a long mile! PS3 is way better built not sure what your on about guess your just a fanboy with the already saying the nextbox will beat PS4 without knowing what they do.
Skiba 4 years ago