Bungie - "Xbox Live wouldn't have made it" without Halo

Bungie studio manager Harold Ryan has been speaking to GamesIndustry.biz stating that the premium service wouldn't have worked without the now flagship title, Halo and Bungie's vision and leadership.

"I think Xbox Live wouldn't have made it. I don't think the Xbox would be where it is today without Bungie and without Halo," stated the studio manager.

He continuted "As a group, we provided both technical and creative guidance and thought leadership that really pushed the limits. We weren't just a game developer using the service. We were integrated in the design of the service and how it worked. Systems for groups and matchmaking and skill ranking were all things that were pushed the furthest and the hardest by us."

Do you agree with Ryan?

Edited On 16 Nov, 2012

Comments
Rubbish, the original Xbox had loads of great online games besides Halo, PGR2, Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, just to name a few.
malgron's avatar
Well said, I spent more time playing Rainbow 6, PGR 2, Midtown Madness 3 and even Whacked on the original xbox. Not Halo.
malgron 4 years ago
Rainbow 6 3 and PGR2 were brilliant, shame both franchises went to hell in the next generation.
LFC Bywater's avatar
It's all about conker: Live and reloaded. Fully loved that game. Ghost recon 2 was amazing aswell.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Kinda smug don't you think. That's the kind of thing you think but don't say out loud. & to answer the question yes yes I do
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
I've only just playing in the last year/year and half, properly on Xbox. It is arrogant to think one designer thinks they are the founders of the network. I've never even played a Halo game! Hardly a resounding endorsement from everyone on how great they think they are.
Tracy 4 years ago
Whilst Halo did do LIVE a favour , it was COD:MW a few years later that exploded the service . The original xbox , Halo and LIVE were just a seedling - that grew into a massive oak from the 360 and COD:MW .
More than a few years later, besides Xbox Live was going strong well before the 360 and CoD.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I somewhat agree with what is being said. I actually don't think the X-Box would be where it is without Halo. It was the killer ap that sold consoles, much like Mario is to Nintendo. But now I'm not so sure.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I think that it gave it a boost and got it going, but i also think Xbox live would be where it is today, just not as early as it was.
kwok007's avatar
kwok007 4 years ago
Xbox live would have made it regardless of halo, halo was a brilliant game but Xbox live was its own doing and halo simply helped it, not made it.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
You can't simply say that an online service couldn't have made it without a franchise. Halo maybe was the game that introduced mutiplayer to consoles, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. I wonder what will people say about PSN.
Halo did not introduce online to consoles, first Halo didn't even have online, and there were plenty of popular online games on the Xbox before Halo 2.
rjc's avatar
rjc 4 years ago
Bit arrogant. Microsoft could easily say that Halo would never have been as big without XBOX Live.
lou86's avatar
lou86 4 years ago
Well if you ask me i think Xbox live will do fine without Halo but it would be a big blow. I do like the arrogance of it all.
tomas 4 years ago
What aload of bull it obviously helped but the Xbox still had titles like call of dirty and hears of war which is only for Xbox and GTA must of had a big impact as well. I always played online on the original Xbox without halo it was all about star wars battlefront back in y days lol t
tomas 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Well, all I know is, if it wasn't for Halo I wouldn't be into gaming nearly as much as I am now. And I sure as hell wouldn't own an Xbox if it wasn't for Halo
hazzatori's avatar
hazzatori 4 years ago
Halo had a massive part in the developemnt of the back end of xbox live, so while i agree Bungie helped its very arrogant to state that it wouldnt of suceeded without Halo, it was the only home console at the time with online gaming built in mind, the Dreamcast had all but failed at this point (sadly) and the PS2 online was an after thought. Sony was more concerned telling us how the PS2 could do real time Toy story graphics lol! i think its better to state XBOX live is what made the Xbox brand succeed.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
to some extent I actually agree with what hes saying it was the biggest online game of the old xbox despite all the other great titles on the console.. halo did make it!
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
How very Activision personally i think halo 4 is the best so far bungie were awesome my concern is theyve gone to activision for like a gazillion pounds so hes obviously going to give it the big one
Or better wording would be ''How very smug''
Tyrone 4 years ago
Worst to say ever!!! WE have Gears of War, COD's, FIFA, Ghost Recon, Rainbow 6 or even PGR!! The list goes on and to say that just shows you've got a gigantic head and you should be listed for the Biggest Douche in The Universe!!!
hXcPete's avatar
hXcPete 4 years ago
Xbox live was pretty much MADE for Halo 2, xbox live would have caught on later (probably when the 360 rolled around rather than on the original xbox) if Halo 2 didn't have live though. So I see the 'point'.
GAZZAAAAAAAAA's avatar
GAZZAAAAAAAAA 4 years ago
I've only been on Xbox past 5 years so dont know what it was like in the beginning tbh.
mrmascal4's avatar
mrmascal4 4 years ago
Xbox Live would have been very well, thank you very much, withou Halo.