Call of Duty: Black Ops II sales smash $500 million in first 24 hours

Activision today announced that the massively popular Call of Duty: Black Ops II, which launched worldwide on Tuesday, generated $500 million worth of sales in that first 24 hours. Celebrating the fourth year in a row where has taken the largest entertainment launch of the year.

"With first day sales of over half a billion dollars worldwide, we believe Call of Duty is the biggest entertainment launch of the year for the fourth year in a row," said Bobby Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard, Inc.?

"Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for "Harry Potter" and "Star Wars," the two most successful movie franchises of all time. Given the challenged macro-economic environment, we remain cautious about the balance of 2012 and 2013."

On November 13, 2012, millions of fans attended more than 16,000 midnight openings at retail stores worldwide. Reflecting the wave of excitement that swept the globe, Call of Duty: Black Ops II drove social conversation in its first 24 hours as it was a top trending topic globally on Twitter in 23 cities worldwide. Additionally, there have been more than 30 million YouTube video views of the game's live-action 'Surprise' launch trailer since its release on October 29, 2012.

"Call of Duty has become more than a product people buy, it's a brand people buy into. And every November we do more than just the launch of a game, we kick off an annual, unofficial but worldwide phenomenon called the Call of Duty season," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. "I want to thank our incredible team at Treyarch for making an amazing game, everyone at Activision for making this brand a force of nature and our retail partners for their unprecedented support of this franchise. But most importantly I want to thank our millions of fans for their continued support and loyalty and for making us better every day."

Edited On 16 Nov, 2012

Comments
Can he sound any more smug
Smug, and pretentious.
You can't really blame them for talking it up, it's one of the few IPs they have left that they haven't run in to the ground (yet), still sounds like a pretentious knob though.
lou86's avatar
lou86 4 years ago
I would be smug people are moaning about COD all the time you see the comments on here with the leak to the new COD 4 next year harsh comments so i would be smug with two fingers up with sales like this.
COP3Y DUNT's avatar
COP3Y DUNT 4 years ago
With sales figures like that I think anyone would be smug.
SuperJag86's avatar
SuperJag86 4 years ago
Money money money! I hope they continue to attempt to push the franchise like Blops 2 rather than settle for mediocrity like Declassified. It's worrying to hear they're planning another entry in the Modern Warfare franchise instead of a new series for CoD 2013...
Tyrone 4 years ago
All it is to this company now is money... Why don't they release a game very 2 years?? They don't have anything new in the game really to blow us all away! I'm not saying I don't want this game I REALLY DO!! But take a look at Battlefield it was so different and the graphics were amazing for a shooting game that's why i haven't touched one since, but I want this because I loved Black Ops 1! Cmon guys do something different in the series!!
COP3Y DUNT's avatar
They do release a game every 2 years. Black ops 1 and 2 and WaW were developed by treyarch, and the Modern Warfares were developed by infinity Ward and Sledgehammer if I'm not mistaken.
COP3Y DUNT 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
I, too, bought a big FPS release from Shop.To this week, no, not Black Ops 2 - Borderlands :GOTY edition for the Xbox! OK, so I'm three years behind but I'm enjoying it all the same, even on my lonesome!
LFC Bywater's avatar
I reckon it's better than Borderlands 2 so just stick with that one!!
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
I know it focuses players to team-up and co-op all the time, but my initial experience of the game is that it plays perfectly well as a single-player game. Most FPS games are playable as a single-player game; the designers are all overly-obsessed with getting everyone online all the time.
Barada 4 years ago
tomas 4 years ago
with a franchise making this amount of money i would of thought they would of changed the games a bit more pretty much the same things even tho i dont have black ops 2 yet so cant really include that. maybe they will make films one day covering all the tiltes that would be pretty sweet
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Wonder what the figures are standing at no, a fair few of my friends have picked this up now so they can add atleast another £200ish to the total :P
GAZZAAAAAAAAA's avatar
GAZZAAAAAAAAA 4 years ago
That's some sales but it was to be expected with a franchise like COD.