Wii U gets mandatory firmware update at launch

The Wii U launched in America over the weekend and in doing so managed to force people on to Twitter to complain about the huge mandatory update.

According to many the compulsory 1.5GB firmware update will take around four hours to complete, which isn't ideal when you are desperate to play your brand new console.

So what is the update all about? Well, according to reports the update adds online features, Miiverse and allows users to transfer data from a Wii to the Wii U.

One warning that should be heeded is that you shouldn't turn your console off during the update. It seems some people did this due to thinking it had frozen, which resulted in the console bricking completely. You have been warned.

Wii U launches in the UK on November 30.

*update*

We've been told the update is 1.5 GB and not 5GB as originally reported. This should at least leave those who buy the basic machine some HDD space.

Edited On 19 Nov, 2012

Comments
That is a bit long, and I thought PS3 install times were long. ;) Ah well, just have to occupy myself playing some Farcry 3 while it installs.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I believe this is the same update that results in the 3GB remaining on the 8GB. Else no point in buying that 8GB one lol. I've heard various amounts myself, some people said an hour and a half, others two hours. Keep in mind there was likely a huge strain on things on the online itself due to it being release. Kinda worrying about the bricking however. I've heard stuff like if your internet goes off then it can stop the download and 'brick' it. Although apparently it's not happened to anyone. Maybe the reason why it takes so long is to ensure there isn't a strain on the internet to allow this.
master frodo's avatar
master frodo 4 years ago
5Gb update?? Wow.. and all it adds is online capabilities? Surely a console that is promoted as having online should come with this update pre-patched? And 4 hours to complete? My lord. I don't think a Wii U is for me but if I bought one and then had to wait hours before I could use it, I'd be miffed.
GAZZAAAAAAAAA's avatar
GAZZAAAAAAAAA 4 years ago
Imagine that feeling when you get a new console only to plug it in and have to wait 4 hrs for it to do an update,bad times:(
Lewis 4 years ago
I cant see myself ever getting a Nintendo home console again I loved the Gamecube and N64 and SNES but i dont like this peripheral gaming. Also with the fall of great titles like Zelda and Metroid prime I dont feel like i can trust them anymore with my money. Sorry Nintendo but where did it all go wrong for you?
What are you on about 'the fall of great titles like Zelda and Metroid prime'? The last Zelda was great, and Metroid Prime was doing just fine, it was only when they gave it to Team Ninja that it went wrong, I don't think they'll be making that mistake again. Nothing went wrong for Nintendo, they're still doing what they've always done, making great games.
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
I'm sure the long download times were down to excessive demand (we hope). Even the PS3 and Xbox suffer from 'peak time' jams; even to this day I try and avoid weekend/holiday d/loads - not so easy if you've a new update for a PS3 game you want to play there and then - they can take an age to finish!
I think 4 hours is probably the worst case scenario really, people's internet connection and the download conditions are bound to vary. I'm sure it'll download and install for some people quicker than the average PS3 game update.
Jack 4 years ago
I can't understand why the basic console has such limited HDD space. I thought the deluxe version is still pretty wimpy compared to my PS3 and Xbox HDD space. It's made me worry about what's going to happen when they start publishing downloadable games for it. I really hope we don't have another wiiware on our hands, because it really limited some of those games, and had developers move to other systems, simply because of the download limits and space. In an age where I'm downloading more than I'm buying pyschical copies, it seems really strange. I also here they're making a loss on the consoles, and are going to make the money back in the future through peripherals, and longer sales. Where are they throwing this money? It doesn't seem all that much better than current consoles. I feel like I've been messed around by Nintendo for a long time now, so I'll take a step back, and see how things develop. Fingers crossed by the time I think about getting one, there will be a new batch, with this firmware update already installed.
Barada's avatar
With the ability to add a formatted external drive to the Wii U; I don't think Nintendo are going to concern themselves too much to HD space. If it is anything like the Wii, no games actually installed themselves, only the game saves would occasionally 'stick' and couldn't be moved around in the memory.
Barada 4 years ago
Good old Nintendo, you can always rely on them to use standardised storage devices.
xdark-shiftx's avatar
xdark-shiftx 4 years ago
i don't get it. why couldn't they just patch it themselves. it would prevent a lot of unhappy customers
The same reason so many games come with day one patches, because not everything is always ready in time for the production schedule.
I would love to get the Wii U but I just don't have the money right now but as soon as a Zelda, Fire emblem, Metroid, Pokemon. Paper Mario or Smash Bros gets released I WILL find the money.
Darren 4 years ago
I have heard that the console becomes unusable if the power cuts out during this update. I am scared that this will happen to me and wasted £300.
rjc's avatar
It's probably rare that that will happen to people, Darren. If you have a good speed then it should finish rather quickly.
rjc 4 years ago