Wii U sells 400k during US launch week

Nintendo of American head Reggie Fils-Aime has revealed that the Wii U managed to sell 400,000 units in its first week on sale.

Speaking in an interview with CNET, Fils-Aime confirmed sales last week of 1.2 million across all of the companies platforms in America alone. It seems that Black Friday certainly helped shift those consoles, with Wii U even managing to surpass the Wii's launch figure of 300,000.

"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail," said Fils-Aime in the interview, adding "Retailers are doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they're selling out immediately."

Wii U launches across UK and Europe from November 30th. Are you excited?

Edited On 27 Nov, 2012

Comments
rjc's avatar
rjc 4 years ago
Pretty decent amount. I expected more around Xmas time.
2 more regions to launch in before Xmas.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
I am happy for Nintendo. But for now, I will stick to my 360 :)
Off to a good start, can't wait for mine :)
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I thought Wii was 600,000? 360 launch was 300,000. PS3 launch was 170,000. Looks like a good start. Especially considering it's not out in Japan (Monster Hunter being launch alone will be awesome.) dunno if EU will help a huge amount.
Greigyboii's avatar
Greigyboii 4 years ago
That's actually quite impressive - will be interesting to see how it does in the UK market. I doubt it will sell anywhere near Xbox or PS3, but still as interesting. I may even be interested in purchasing it some time. See how it goes!
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
good on nintendo looking rather good for sales so far,with crimbo coming im sure there be even more sales,the price looks good as well and now seeing a lot more adverts about the console,i shall buy on sometime next year when its more mainstream and all the bugs are ironed out.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Far from a sell out launch then, which the Wii had as I recall. Rather telling that they're burying the Wii U sales numbers in amongst their total hardware sales. Unbelievable that the 3DS is falling so badly behind the DS in sales at this stage as well.
Greigyboii's avatar
I was so dubious about buying a 3DS, but after getting one I was pretty impressed as some games weren't as gimmicky as others. However, I really don't see what the WiiU adds to the current gen of games. Especially with SmartGlass being out (albeit still in infancy). Zelda in HD does not quantify purchasing something for £300...
Greigyboii 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Clearly states in the article that it sold 400,000. And states later that it's sold out. Incidently I tried to compare with the 360 and PS3's launch figures and found the 360's figures to be VERY difficult to find. On the other hand Microsoft couldn't stop talking when Halo 4 sold well. In the end I found that 360 sold 300,000 on launch and PS3 around 170,000. So looks like Wii U is off to a better start than those two were.
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
No, Wii U simply had more stock available at launch than either the PS3 or 360 did (Both of those were noted for undershipping badly in the early weeks of release in the US). Nintendo has stated multiple times that 500,000 Wii U's were shipped/shipping for launch day, and now they're saying they've sold 400,000 week one. Not hard to do the maths there.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Some perspective here: Microsoft just announced they sold 750,000 360's in the past week. More than the combined sales of both Wii U and Wii together for the same period.
In The Black Friday Sales ;) Were The Console Was Far Cheaper Than The Wii U It's Really Tough To Gauge Sales Based On The Respect, Im Pretty Sure The PS3 And Vita Sold A Faukton This Weekend
Cryss 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Well, hopefully we will have one which will be waiting for Christmas day to arrive before setting up - oh, the excitement we create for ourselves. Doesn't have to be boring just because you get older!
preyalone's avatar
preyalone 4 years ago
I think this is a great result for Nintendo, and it still has to launch in Europe and Japan yet. It's funny though, that most people I speak to - who own a Wii - seem to be completely oblivious to the existence of the Wii U....