PS Vita: Sony's greatest future success

I have stuck up for Sony's PlayStation Vita many times. I personally think it's the best system ever released for the portable gamer, yet I continue to see articles by so-called mainstream sites, putting the system down without mentioning its best games and biggest selling points. Obviously I'm not saying Vita is perfect (sales don't lie), however it has far much more going for it than most people give it credit for.

There is certainly plenty of be thankful for if you are a Vita gamer, especially when it comes to the games. I'm not in this camp of the system has no games, what a load of tosh. Uncharted Golden Abyss; Gravity Rush; Motorstorm RC; FIFA; Resistance Burning Skies; Unit 13; PlayStation All Stars; Mutant Blobs Attack; LittleBigPlanet; Wipeout 2048; Need for Speed: Most Wanted; Rayman Origins; Velocity; When Vikings Attack; Assassin's Creed: Liberation; Smart As; Lumines; Persona 4: Golden - Just a few of the excellent games which come to mind. In the future we can also look forward to Tearaway; Killzone Liberation; Dragon Fantasy; Soul Sacrifice and a new Bioshock game. Sure some of the above games are on other systems, but show me a another portable system which has games of this quality, playable on such a beautiful screen. Gamers want originality, sure, but they also want quality games on the go and you can't tell me that the above games aren't quality.

So that's the current games and a small glimpse of the future, but what else? Well, the Vita offers dual sticks; a stunning Oled Screen; a fully integrated online system; trophies and basically everything else you need for a fantastic portable gaming experience. Sony has also just launched PlayStation Plus for Vita, giving gamers fantastic value including free games, cloud storage and automatic updates. Looking at other features of the system will see you get free versions of a game if you buy the PS3 version (cross-buy) as well as cross-play; cross-saves and the ability to share goods (DLC) bought between PS3 and PS Vita.

What people need to stop doing is being a miserable bunch of moaning gits. Honestly. Remember the first year of the PSP and even the PS3? Both where considered a failure... "Oh there's no games","The system is a failure","There's not enough features." It took a while for both of these systems to take off, look at them now. PS3 has sold 70 million systems worldwide, PSP has now sold around 75 million units worldwide. Are these systems failures? No. Have they provided some of the most classic games of all time? I think you'll find the answer is yes. Have those people who slagged the systems off came out of their corner and said they were wrong? No, of course not, they've just moved on to the Vita and started ranting about that instead.

The fact is that Sony knows what it's doing. The Vita is not selling as well as Sony would have hoped on a worldwide basis. The price of memory cards is too high and the system is hardly going to appeal without big name exclusives. But what these critics fail to realise is that Sony is in this for the long run. The Vita will get a price drop, there are also games in development which people don't know about - mark my words. Also, imagine for instance that Capcom are working on a Monster Hunter game, while Rockstar work on an exclusive GTA for the Vita - now think what will happen if Sony announce both these games alongside a price drop. All of a sudden sales of the system would rocket, other developers would take notice, original games would appear, etc etc. Look at the 3DS, it hardly took off to begin with, but as soon as Nintendo dropped the price and the games came out the closet its sales started to rocket. It doesn't take much for a system to turn the corner.

PlayStation Vita has been around in the UK since February 22 - around 10 months. The system already has over 40 games and while sales are not at high levels, it's still got a long life ahead of it. Can it already be considered a failure when we look at the facts above? I would say not. Perhaps a slow starter, but like I say, PSP and PS3 could be fall into this category too.

Another beautiful feature of Vita is that it can always be upgraded, so in the future when PS4 arrives and the Vita becomes an essential companion thanks to it's great features and fantastic, unique games, I for one will be happy that I was one of the first people in the world to own one. As for those putting the system down right now? I guess I'll see you online when you decide to jump back on the bandwagon in around a six months to a years time.

Edited On 27 Nov, 2012

Comments
Cryss 4 years ago
I think the problem is, and if this is as described a reaction to the Kotaku article (+ naysay Vita articles in general) is that even though the system has decent games. It doesn't have "console quality" games that Sony keep advertising. Resistance: Burning Skies is an allright game, but compared to the work of Insomniac, it's laughably inadequete. From there Nihilistic were given free reign with Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified another huge failure. Im honestly looking forward to a future where I get a sequel to Gravity Rush, where Persona 4 is released in Europe (too late, I've imported, but for everyone elses sake) and where the Vita has a ton of cross-play titles. Its not a massive failure, by any means, but it could be so much better
PrometheusFan's avatar
A fair point on the "console quality on the go" thing, as only about 8 titles seem to fit that labelling right now. Of the rest of the titles... while they're for the most part head and shoulders above most of what's available on handhelds, they fall well short of being "console quality"... well... unless the console in question is the Wii or something I guess. It matches up pretty well there :)
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
karlo87's avatar
karlo87 4 years ago
Don't understand how people can say it has no games, it has tons of excellent stuff, a lot better than the 3DS' selection in it's first year. Sony consoles are always slow starters, and look at the PS3 now, shooting past the 70 million mark. Give it time and it'll realise it's potential, as will developers. I probably use my Vita more than my 360 now and just as much as my PS3, the only problem i have with it is the memory cards need a price cut really badly.
rjc's avatar
rjc 4 years ago
Don't write Sony off, I say. They can turn the bad stuff around. More games will come. Like Joe said, Sony are in it for the long run.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
It's a pretty fantastic piece of hardware and I know I haven't been wanting for games for it, even if the latter half of 2013 onwards is where things on the game front get a little uncertain. The myth that it has no games that people with agendas constantly push is a laughable one. I just fired up the Vita PS Store and checked how many Vita only titles were listed and there's around 80 on there at this point. That's "No" games? :/
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
I am sure 90% of the "miserable bunch of moaning gits" online are not even PSVita owners anyway :D Most of the moans come from people who just hate the PlayStation brand(no i won't say who they are but you know who they are) Just enjoy what you got & 'f' the haters i say;)
Skyowners's avatar
Skyowners 4 years ago
I will definitely get the vita eventually. I dont think we should be worried about the vita at all. The hardware is here, all we need is the game that we will buy no matter what the cost. For me its Final Fantasy X HD lol. Also, my FF7-9 games that I brought on my ps3 is playable on the vita is such an awesome feature.
Solidus 5nake's avatar
Solidus 5nake 4 years ago
I love my Vita, but they do need some big exclusive games to push sales. For me, something like Silent Hill 1 or Metal Gear Solid 1 remakes would be awesome, perhaps even an exclusive Resident Evil title.
Skyowners's avatar
Skyowners 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I thought it was already announced the Monster Hunter is coming to a Nintendo console? For me my PSV is starting to collect dust already. The games didn't keep my attention for long enough and the good looking ones were delayed or not coming or are heavily downgraded versions of PS3 titles., My biggest problem is the memory card scam. Cost me £35 to buy a 16GB card because the 4GB that came with it wasn't up for the job after 3 weeks. Only had 5 games on there too (preloaded LBP, 2 PS1 games and the two PS+ PSN games) considering last week I managed to pick a 1TB hard drive for £45 ithe price is already bad. But imagine my anger when I popped the 16GB card in to find it was only 14GB after all. So essentially it's a scam of at least £5 (since 4GB is £10 each) so to me that has really put me off supporting Sony at all until it's fixed
It's a undoubtedly a nice piece of kit, but best handheld ever, don't make me laugh.
0000000000's avatar
agreed I am actually shocked at how far from the truth it is.. ive only played my brother in laws and that didn't even tempt me into buying 1!
0000000000 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
I also love my vita. I counted yesterday and mine has 69 games on it (this includes a few psp games such as GTA and some PS1 classics). This is more than enough to keep me going for years. Another poster said that remaking Silent Hill or Resi would be a good idea and it would. For now though I have the original Silent Hill, Resi 1, 2 & 3 that I can all play on the go and picked up for peanuts (literally, there was a chimp selling them down our road). There are console quality games on there. Need for Speed is console quality. Gravity Rush is Console Quality. Persona is Console Quality. Assassins Creed is not only console quality but arguably better than AC3. In terms of graphics no, we are not quite there yet but there are loads of dodgy 'Console Quality' titles actually on the consoles. The ones that have been around for 6 years. For me its what you make of it. A lot of people just dont want to like the Vita. I was excited at day one for it and am more than happy with it. As for best handheld ever? Personal opinion. I have had them all. Vita does the most but doesnt mean its the best. Its down to the game being played at the time. My 3DS is gathering dust because of Persona at the moment, but when I am done with that I might be playing Sticker Stars none stop. The only thing wrong with the Vita is the memory cards and their pricing, which was a massive misfire and quite frankly greedy. I have a 32 gb one which is full. I don't think I have it in me to buy another one despite the 'free' games being thrown at me by PS+.
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Your weekly articles defending this console are getting as tedious as the ones basing it from various other sites. How the Vita fares next year will determine whether or not the Vita is a failure. This year however has been tragic at best.
master frodo's avatar
Hardly tedious. The writer just wanted to put his point/opinion across. I agree with it. The Vita is anything but a failure in terms of what it delivers. Now PS+ is available the thing will sell, and with a price cut just before or after Xmas the sales should rocket. Vita is far from perfect but people expecting the exact same games on the go were a little silly. Sonys PR people were of course trying to big up the Vita by saying 'console quality on the go' and while they weren't entirely wrong (it does do a good job on certain titles), the majority of us mobile gamers want games that can be played on the go and not have to sit for hours to hit a save point/checkpoint. If you take the Vita on face value it's an amazing bit of kit with some superb games. The future looks bright also.
master frodo 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
It is tedious. Every week he spouts the same crap. I'm quite sure Sony themselves said no price cut for the vita this year. And PS+ is hardly tempting at the moment. There really isn't a lot of good games/dlc they can offer as far as discounts and freebies is concerned. As I said 2013 will decide the fate of the Vita
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
I agree somewhat. I've been annoyed with PS+ in that we are missing Jet Set and FF Tactics which America got and Sony deemed 'we wouldn't be interested in' but I do think it's worth at least the 11.99 for 3 months still. 4 PSV games and about 8 or 9 on PS3 (Infamous 2, LBP 2, Crysis 2, Ratchet and Clank 4, Scott Pilgrim, Bulletstorm, Motorcross, Double Dragon and some others.) A few games are actually giving away a some days for free too. I got Hitman from amazon and it had a code in for 30 days. I bought the 3 months and will extend if we see the missing titles from America or something better.
Robichoico 4 years ago
master frodo's avatar
Jet Set Radio and FF will make an appearance, watch this space :-)
master frodo 4 years ago
master frodo's avatar
master frodo 4 years ago
I didn't realise you were 'the oracle' ... PS+ isn't tempting for everybody? Or you? You type like you are writing for a nation.
SAFAA 4 years ago
100% spot on - vita is great!!!
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
The PS Vita doesn't have anything on it that says to me, "Right, I'm willing to part with £200 for the chance to play portable Vita-versions of some excellent consoles games." I couldn't justify the price, or find any situation I'd want to play Vita-version games anywhere. I'm sure it's a technical marvel - but it appears to be a gaming trinket, than a treasure chest.
Mark 4 years ago
"What people need to stop doing is being a miserable bunch of moaning gits." I couldn't agree more, these days nobody is happy about anything. The Vita is a great system and has a lot of potential that still needs to be harnessed. Just like the PS3, at first some games may not run at the full resolution and may not have the most amazing graphics but give developers time and they'll create amazing things. Uncharted: GA is a great example, it looks great as it is and even then Bend were working with guessed hardware specifications, so given the time they could make something truly amazing to show off the power of the Vita.