First Impressions: Wii U

The Wii U launches today and we've been spending time with it in order to bring you some early impressions.

Our particular console of choice was the Zombi U premium package which includes the following content: 32GB; Wii U Console Black; ZombiU Game; Wii U GamePad; Wii U Pro Controller; Wii U GamePad Stylus; Wii U GamePad Cradle; Wii U GamePad Stand; Wii U Console Stand; Wii U AC Adapter; AC Adapter; Wii U GamePad AC Adapter; HDMI Cable (1.5m) and Sensor Bar. This package also includes some rather nice Zombi U box art too, which is ideal for those who like to keep the box for new console releases.

Obviously most people are interested in the console and in this case the GamePad and to be honest, despite some early reports, you should not be disappointed. Setting the console up is the standard affair, plug in your HDMI cable, the sensor bar and your console and hit the power button to get started. Once you do this you'll realise that everything is set up using the GamePad, so one of the first things you'll need to do is sync the console and the GamePad with each other. This is a simple process really which will only take a few seconds to complete. Other set up options include setting the time; wifi and you Mii, which you can also link to your Club Nintendo account. Once these pleasantries are out the way you can also set up a Nintendo Network account. It's all fairly straight forward really.

While most people would probably be keen to play with their new toy, I for one wanted to update the console so that I could see all of its features, therefore I accepted the option to update and proceeded to waiting around 1 hour and 15 minutes for the update to complete - a far cry from the 3 hours that most people were suggesting it took. Once the update completed I then had access to all the day one features such as MiiVerse; Netflix; LoveFilm and the Nintendo E Store.

One of the first places of call for me was the Nintendo E Store, which is controlled completely via the GamePad. At the time of writing the only demo live was for FIFA 13; I was hoping for a Rayman Legends demo, but to no avail. Games to buy meanwhile include most of the launch titles, although they are very expensive; Assassin's Creed III is 54.99 GBP for instance. There are a few digital titles on there which look quite interesting, but again they seem a little on the expensive side; perhaps developers are taking advantage of the consoles day one status?

Another option I was keen to try was Netflix. I have to say that this is probably the best version I have tested yet. You can flick through the catalogue using the GamePad, allowing you to choose the TV show/Movie of your choice. When you start a program it'll show on the main screen, while the information for the show will be displayed on the GamePad. You can also switch to watching Netflix on the Gamepad and listen through the built in speakers or via headphones. The main option Netflix seems to be crying out for is the ability to flick through the catalogue while watching a program, although this is not an option at the moment.

Given that we have a lot of reviews to write thanks to the huge catalogue of launch titles, I haven't spent too much time on other areas of the console, what I will say though is that reports of it being sluggish and slow seems to be highly exaggerated. So far I feel it's a pretty seamless experience which is very easy to use. The GamePad seems like a great feature to have, although I'm not sure if the novelty will wear off or not.

One thing I wanted to mention was that starting up most applications at the moment seems to result in an update, giving you a little wait before you start the game/app. I'm not sure if the system will update automatically in the future and in any case, the updates don't seem to take too long, but it's certainly worth nothing.

Obviously these are just my quick impressions of my experience so far. At the moment I'm quite impressed, which is great because Nintendo consoles don't generally excite me too much. At the moment I love the feel of the GamePad and the unique features that it brings, however I know that now and in the future, it'll be the games which are the most important aspect of the Wii U.

Edited On 30 Nov, 2012

Comments
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Took just under 2 hours for my initial update to do. Plenty of time to get everything else unpacked and redeem the stars on the club-nintendo. Only problem I had was club-nintendo not linking and miiverse being down
dan_man_can_man's avatar
dan_man_can_man 4 years ago
Mine took about 45 mins to update, I was happy as I could get to playing quickly!!
Turak64's avatar
Turak64 4 years ago
Took about an hour for mine to update. The web browser is really good, infact I'm on it now! Just hope they sort out a few of the small annoying issues out in future updates. Such as loading times between menus
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
looking good i read,i supose theres going to be teething troubles with like any new consoles out there,but i am defo more interested in this the more i read about it and shopto have a lot more wider selection of game packages than some places so i defo keep this in mind if and when i can afford it,saying that its gonna be hard as saving up for the new xbox :(
Still waiting for the postman to deliver mine :(
LFC Bywater's avatar
Maybe he's realised that it is a WiiU and decided to take it home and play it himself :P
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Thankfully not, turned up in the end.
martin 4 years ago
I am 50-50 on this console. It has improved hardware and offers a different way of playing games, but the games on offer are either mini-games or ones i've already played(with the odd exception).
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
This machine is going to need to improve DRAMATICALLY on just about every front before I entertain the notion of getting one. Nintendo need to start with sorting out their online infrastructure. Is it seriously true that the console can't even support DLC yet?
Solidus 5nake's avatar
Solidus 5nake 4 years ago
I'm a little skeptical of the WiiU, but I wont knock something until I've tried it. Now I just need to find a friend that has actually brought one, so that I can have a go
GAZZAAAAAAAAA's avatar
GAZZAAAAAAAAA 4 years ago
I don't know anyone personally who was getting this or wanting it and I have a fair few gaming mates,I'll keep an eye on it's progress as the more gaming consoles on the market the better I think,Have fun all use on here who got it :-0)
hallben's avatar
hallben 4 years ago
I do have new gadget envy thats for sure. I also dont know anyone who is picking it up, but chatting to a couple of GAME managers today they said demand was very high at midnight launch and that anyone who hadnt pre ordered were gonna miss out. The two guys were so tired when I spoke to them that I thought they might collapse.
Mine finally turned up, and it's great, and the gamepad range stretches to my bedroom, so I'm off to play some Mario on it in bed.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Really wanting the WiiU now that it is out :( If i get one of these though i won't be getting a 3DS XL. In my opinion the gamepad on this is pretty superior to the 3DS anyway. Gloria i am so jealous of you right now... lol
;)
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
A well-known catalogue brand first let my girlfriend know (a few days back) it was on its way - then yesterday, another email said it was out of stock. After walking the dog, it arrived later that afternoon! Christmas should be interesting! ;)
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Love how you can watch something on the gamepad screen instead of on the tv. Need one so I don't have to put up with Hollyoaks in my house
yazuka's avatar
yazuka 4 years ago
Hope I can afford one soon. In the beginning I didn't want one, but the more I see and hear about it. The more I want one!
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Use of Netflix sounds good. Other than that I am massively excited about ZombieU but can't justify getting a WiiU on that alone (I'm getting a PS3 this Christmas and already have a 360 - three consoles would be too much).
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Netflix on the pad screen is good so you have effectively two screens in the front room. I don't know enough about ZombieU but everyone is raving about it
LFC Bywater's avatar
ZombieU would be the main game that i would be interested in, but love everything Mario so would have to get some mario games too.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Zombiu is great in short bursts. Think of it like Demon/Dark Souls. You ARE going to die. But how and when is the fun part.
Robichoico 4 years ago