Day one Wii U patch to be included with Spring 2013 consoles

Wii U's day-one patch will ship with consoles from Spring next year, removing the need for owners of the new console to download it.

Speaking with Gamasutra,?Nintendo of America head Reggie Fils-Aime?revealed that the patch was a last-minute decision, however it came at the expense of 5GB of HDD space, which users of the Basic Wii U especially, can ill afford.

"Nintendo developers want to make sure that the very best product is available to consumers. That creates a dynamic where our developers are working on elements until the very last point possible. That?s why the system update was required on Day One - and this is quite similar to what's happened with other consumer electronic products."

Given that the new firmware will arrive around Spring 2013, this will do away with the need for a day one download, although it seems that early adopters will never get this space back.

Edited On 04 Dec, 2012

Comments
This is just a punch in the face to early adopters granted I wasn't one but still
Solidus 5nake's avatar
Solidus 5nake 4 years ago
That must be so annoying for those that purchased the console on release and had 5gb used up for an update!
Hey, not like Nintendo are charging a premium for added storage like some companies I could mention.
Robichoico's avatar
Whaaaaat? But I enjoy paying an extra £70 for my 32GB card on the Vita! Waaaay better than paying £50 for the 2TB on my Wii U!
Robichoico 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
More fool them for buying the cheaper one really. For £40 more they coulda had a £40 game, a few extra things AND an extra 24GB. And honestly. The complaining about the patch is just kinda stupid. Mine took less than 2 hours to do on a poor connection, most people in the UK are reporting less than an hour. All I did was redeem the nintendo points during and post around forums while making sure everything was set up. When I bought my PS3 back in 2009 I had to wait more than 2 hours to get the online and everything set up. But it seems everyone forgets about all that waiting.
PrometheusFan's avatar
2009? That was the year the slim PS3 came out, wasn't it? That would have been around the time I bought my PS3 as well. I remember I was playing Modern Warfare 2 online within half an hour after set up, and I was downloading on a rubbish 2mb broadband line at the time.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
It was the year it came out. I think. It was bundled with Uncharted 2 (or was supposed to be. It was missing from mine.) I distinctly remember being annoyed on Christmas Day when I opened it that I had to wait some time to play on anything.
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Oh dear... that's months away. The only thing that can be inferred from this news is that Nintendo must have a massive amount of already produced Wii U's just sitting there already built. So much for stock shortage excuses this time.
Robichoico's avatar
Or they're building them now to get out for Spring. If they had them they'd just release them with the rest of the incoming stock.
Robichoico 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
So newer consoles will include latest firmware? I would expect that. I'm not sure that this requires a press release from Ninty to be honest.
Robichoico's avatar
likely because people are comparing it to the end of the world.
Robichoico 4 years ago
matthew 4 years ago
I think it's discussing how a console manufacturer that has had years to build this console at the very last minute need to ad this patch!!! I hate all this last minute patching its just lazy a lot of high profile dev company's ea Ubisoft and releasing buggy games that need day one patch!!
Wey1's avatar
Wey1 4 years ago
great that it'll be updated, and ready to use day one for new owners. but current owners must be gutted. maybe nintendo will offer some sort of compensation like with the 3ds price cut.
Robichoico's avatar
for what? The 2 (at most) hours it took to download it? I'd imagine even in spring when they do these it'll still have the -5GB taken out.
Robichoico 4 years ago
They don't have to, but Nintendo may just chuck us some freebies for being early adopters, just like they did with the 3DS.