PS3 is number one for Netflix

Sony's PlayStation 3 is the world's most popular device for viewing movies and TV shows using Netflix.

"PS3 is our largest TV-connected platform in terms of Netflix viewing, and this year, at times, even surpassed the PC in hours of Netflix enjoyment to become our number one platform overall," Netflix chief Reed Hastings said.

There are many contributing factors for this, on Xbox 360 you require a gold membership to use Netflix, while on PS3 it's available for free. The PS3 was also the first console to offer Netflix in full 1080p video resolution with 5.1-channel Dolby Digital Plus surround sound.

"The PlayStation and Netflix communities both share a strong passion for high quality entertainment," Sony Computer Entertainment America boss Jack Tretton said.

"Netflix provides a fantastic experience for watching TV shows and movies on PS3, and our joint development will continue to produce innovations for our customers that further demonstrate PS3 as the true home for entertainment in the living room."

This is a fantastic achievement for PS3, especially when you consider that Xbox 360 dominates living rooms in the US.

Edited On 05 Dec, 2012

Comments
Not sure that this is much of an 'achievement' for the PS3, doesn't it just mean 360 owners spend more time playing games?
troublemaker's avatar
It's more likely that it means that XBox users are spending their time using Sky as opposed to Netflix. It's not saing that PS3s are used mainly for netflix, it's saying that the majority of people that use netflix, use PS3 to view it. A very slight difference, but I don't think the game playing numbers come into the equation at all
troublemaker 4 years ago
Personally I use Lovefilm instant, because I get it free with my game rental package, but even if I didn't it would be cheaper than Netflix. I didn't even think Netflix was that good when I tried the free trial anyway, but in the US they have loads more content on it apparently.
troublemaker's avatar
THe best way to use netflix is definitely to get an american account. The UK version is poor. But, I find lovefilm instant on PS3 to be pretty shoddy and seems really slow to navigate. Also, poor internet means it's restricted to SD. No thanks, Blu-ray all the way for me
troublemaker 4 years ago
Do you have to access it though the internet browser on PS3? The Lovefilm instant app on the 360 works fine, not that I use it that much.
troublemaker's avatar
Nah, there is an onboard app for it. Works OK, but searching is slow. But I think it's the same as everything else that's forced onto the XMB, it's just not thought through properly (and a distinct lack of RAM is an issue) Luckily it's secondary for me! I have the PS3 for games. I just have to make sure my next TV has lovefilm/netflix built in
troublemaker 4 years ago
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
I use my ps3 for netflix because it was up until a couple of days ago quieter than my 360 ( traeted myself to a slim) and its good because if i don't renew my xbox gold account i don't need to worry.
Solidus 5nake's avatar
Solidus 5nake 4 years ago
I've never tried Netflix yet, though I hear its good. I subscribe to Lovefilm, mainly for the game rentals, but now and again I stream through my console. I might try the 30 day Netflix trial one day.
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
i have had both now and must say netfilx is way better for films and tv series ect and in hd which lovefilm dont do as yet,only gripe with uk netflix is theres not a great selection of new films due to it being new in the uk,the usa version is way better content and i have used it a lot from over there and you would be suprised,but saying that for £6 a month you realy cant go wrong for what you get now
Wey1's avatar
Wey1 4 years ago
surprising that it surpassed the PC at times, would of thought that would always be king.