Console sales slump in 2012

A new report from UKIE and GfK Chart-Track suggests that sales of hardware has been in decline since 2008, with last year seeing the biggest drop yet.

Compared to 2011, hardware sales fell by a total of 33.1 percent in 2012. Despite the arrival of both 3DS and PS Vita, sales of handhelds dropped 31.8 percent, while consoles dropped 34.1 percent.

This all makes for depressing reading and makes you wonder how much longer we can wait for the next generation to arrive.

The next Xbox and PlayStation will no doubt boost sales, however the market is changing so it makes you wonder if they'll be as successful this time around. Only time will tell.

Thanks, MCV.

Edited On 04 Jan, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
maybe companies should start thinking of a better price.. or even better deals for the price you pay because people these days cant just go out and spend 300 quid on something they want usless it comes with such a good set of stuff u cant say no. thats what i think anyway
yoda soldier's avatar
I agree with the price as i am looking forward to the next gen but i remember when the ps3 came out and that was really exspensive and if this gen is going to be more exspensive i am out for a couple of years. Also alot of the country is broke so that doesn't help.
yoda soldier 4 years ago
clubpit's avatar
clubpit 4 years ago
I'm not sure that the upcoming generation of consoles is going to be the panacea people think. Just look at the 3DS, PS Vita and the initial sales of the Wii U, by all accounts brilliant consoles yet none are selling as hoped. The combination of the rise of the mobiles/tablets with the maturation of consoles means the demand isn't there. What is the unique selling point of the upcoming generation? Last time was HD and online, but this time I have no idea what they could offer which would tempt me to upgrade. This upcoming generation has the hallmarks of a forced upgrade cycle. Developers should just accept that the platform is now good enough and concentrate on content, just as other mediums do.
This is just it, the next Xbox and PS4 will be very slight upgrades I think, at least Nintendo are doing something different rather than concentrating on increased horsepower that is yielding increasingly diminished returns.
PrometheusFan's avatar
And how's that worked out for them with their new console over Christmas?
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I have a 3DS and a Wii U and i think they are both amazing. Love everything about the Wii U especially ZombieU. Haven't played a game ive enjoyed that much in a long time.
Rachael 4 years ago
I would like to think that everyone who wants said console has one by now
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
A lot of the talk seems to suggest this console generation has dragged on too long and that "generation fatigue" is playing a factor in sales slumps. It's certainly been a longer gap between new hardware than we'd usually see, so it'll be interesting to see how next generation hardware performs when it hits. I don't think the Wii U's disastrous debut(Worst in UK history) is any real indicator of this though, as that console is a pretty unappealling prospect for a number of reasons (Unwarranted high price, no games, design issues, etc). Assuming Microsoft can avoid similar pitfalls later this year, the new Xbox should serve as a good taste of next gen and whether or not the UK market is in any real trouble or not.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Started putting a bit of money aside now so that i'll be able to pick the new Xbox up, Hopefully £300 should be enough but you never know these days.
That's what I did with the Wii U, if you don't already invest in a decent rental package, it can save you a fortune on games.
Pete992's avatar
Pete992 4 years ago
Surely this has to be expected because people who like computer games would already have them being out well over 5 years, One has to wonder how many are people buying a replacement for ring of death xboxs etc. With upgrading to ps4 /xbox 720 what can they do? other than a meater processor and grahpics card i would like them to have SSD to speed up load times but it will be nothing to make them stand out to invest 300-500 quid of hard earned cash.
LFC Bywater's avatar
I am on my 6th Xbox 360, due to RoD, Disc drive errors, etc. I agree though most people will already own the console of their choice with it being out for 5 years+
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Pete992's avatar
I was lucky on my first 2 xbox's as they were under warranty. oblivion killed them and the worst thing was they wanted to take the hard drive with it instead of exchanging it :( 30 hours gameplay down the drain
Pete992 4 years ago
They got me with the hard drive on my first 360, by the time the second one failed I'd wised up and just sent it back without the hard drive, and got a free hard drive with the replacement, I took it as compensation for the loss of my first lot of game saves :)
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
As far as I'm concerned Sony and Microsoft REALLY need to pull out some big tricks to make me want their consoles. We got a blu-ray player with Sony last time to make me choose it over Microsoft. If it's true that Sony are blocking pre-owned games it'll be a big factor (and will pretty much kill Game and the casual crowd that shop there.) And they need some new IPs. Nintendo managed it with Nintendoland. And they're bringing back an old franchise. Likes of Uncharted, Halo, LBP, Forza all get yearly releases and such have no novelty when looking at a new console.
I don't think even Sony would be stupid enough to block pre-owned games, there were rumours they were going to do it with the PS3, but that never happened, it would be suicide if they did, they can't afford another failure after the Vita.
Beazi's avatar
I do wonder Gloria... I think they need to also look at there DLC pricing, but blocking Pre-owned would be a bad step. I dont like the idea of having the network passes, thats stupid enough
Beazi 4 years ago
Pete992's avatar
Only greed is the reason behind blocking pre-owned, if they did all they are doing is wiping out entertainment for people who can't afford 40 quid for the lastest games week in week out. I agree with gloria that it would be suicide for either company to go forward this way. Imagine if one company did and the other didn't, the one that didn't would out sell ten fold and be laughing all the way to the bank
Pete992 4 years ago
Digital content prices are pretty bad all round, MS and Nintendo charge just as stupid prices as Sony on the whole, they all need to sort that out before we are forced in to digital only distribution, which will happen sooner or later. As for online passes, whilst they aren't a good thing they are the lesser of two evils, better that than blocking pre-owned games which would would just ruin things for everyone.
Robichoico's avatar
meh. Pre-owned doesn't matter for the PS3 so much since most games on it end up being dirt cheap after a few weeks anyway (see Far Cry 3, Hitman, LOTR Lego etc being £20 most places running up to christmas despite all being late November releases.) If they decided to region lock it however that would be way more annoying. Its the thing I hate so much about the 3DS. Especially considering they're now dragging their heels and taking 2-3 months on every release to come from America now.
Robichoico 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
Only the other day on 3rd Jan, IGN reported that "Sony has reportedly patented technology that will prevent the use of second hand games on consoles." It could just mean that they have gotten the rights in case they do it. The only times I buy preowned is when the games become out of print. I bought 4 preowned games including the first Farc Cry which I missed years ago from Blockbuster marketplace for £20 total, that is £5 each. I guess the only way to get these games if this goes through will be on the marketplace, and Far Cry Instincts Predator costs £11.99. However, I do buy LOADS of games, and the reason I buy LOADS, is because I am able to resell them, and others can buy my used games. If used games can not be played on future consoles, then I will 1) Reduce my games buying by a LOT and 2) Go RETRO - There are so many games out that, that I have not had a chance to play, so will first play through the current gen and get all DLC / Achievments / Trophies etc just in case they become unavialble with the next gen, as original Xbox DLC can not be accessed any more, then go back through Dreasmcast, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Xbox, Nintendo 64, PSone etc. If this 2nd hand blocking goes through, I may not even buy the next gen consoles unless games cost £15 or under, like they can get on Steam (RAGE at £3.24 - steal!) but games on the UK Xbox Marketplace for SSX cost £50, and I am not going to pay those prices unless I can somehow resell it once I am done with it. I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Saturn about 10 years or so ago for £100, and I resold it for £100, but if I could not have resold it I would not have bought it in the first place.
superniceguy 4 years ago
I think if they did block the use of pre-owned games it would deter me from getting the new console. I have already gone back to my playstation 1 and nintendo 64, some of the games there still feel brilliant to play and no games out at the moment can compete with the nostalgia i get from playing them.
Rachael 4 years ago
Nibbles23's avatar
Alot of People are saying about Sony blocking preowned games I first heard rUmours like that from Microsoft because of games like help where people bought it Then sold it same day and Loads bought it preowned considerable cheaper
Nibbles23 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I know the answer... make more reliable consoles. Sony had the YLOD and Microsoft the Red Ring. Not good. But I honestly think they should bleed as much out of this generation as possible. I think the PS3 isnt even at its limits at the moment. The XBox probably is but theres still life in it yet
superniceguy's avatar
Jokingly I was going to say they should make consoles that break down more often. The slump either means the current cosnoles are not breaking down as much as they were, which is great, or people are getting fed up of replacing them. It is said the the latest Xbox 360s shut down if get too hot, and have been designed with better heat management, and as a fan on the top. The original Xboxs failed easier as it was a bad design and would overheat way too easily. If people remember this, then sales of new consoles will not start to pick up until years after launch. What is the point spending £300-£400 on a new console if it ends up breaking down within a year.
superniceguy 4 years ago
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
well sooner or later the river is going to run dry with purchases of consoles,either everyone got one or are now awaiting the new ones to come to life which hopefully will be november time ready for the xmas silly season to start again then it will be rinse and repeat on this story in a few years.
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
SONY should of bought out the new PS3 with full PS2 playback & priced it at £149.99 by now & that would of boosted Console sales but they seemed of got all the prices wrong this Xmas i think. Oh well.
Mezzer_1's avatar
Mezzer_1 4 years ago
As a gamer from day one...well over thirty years...I like how this gen has lasted out. It means dev teams have to use brains and new ideas to wow us,improve game engines etc. I own all of this gen consoles but for me the PS3 is far superior. Sony treat their fans well. The exclusive games.. uncharted,god of war,heavy rain etc are better than anything on its rivals consoles...and Sony have really delivered on exclusive titles the past three years...also on PSN. Pad,set up,blu ray options,media add ons along with free online gaming is a plus. It's a pretty solid all round system. I like my 360 but MS don't show the same care to their followers. Three killed Xboxes via rrod for me...terrible!. Poor production quality. Exclusive games are few and far between. Halo 4 was average...gears three was decent but stale,campaign modes. Forza lacks the detail and polish of GT5. Witcher two is a stand out game on Xbox...one of the best on the system. Wii u is too early to judge,I like the system and its approach to gaming though...battery life of the pad needs work. The next gen will feature more ram,more guts,GPU and faster CPU speeds....at a cost though,your Pocket. If Sony deliver first party titles at launch then that will be my choice....but I have an eye on MS too. Be interesting to see if dev teams can bring us new gameplay ideas or will the run off the mill FIFA and cods just look better....gameplay and ideas comes from brains and not being lazy....to many dev teams rely on the name of game to sell....will be an interesting change of gen....but I for one am happy to see out my PS3 and 360 for another year or more... Console sales will decrease...less money and a lot of people own current gen consoles...tablets,mobile gaming...although I think people who tablet game still own a console or PC,or both. Happy gaming people...still no buzz quite like a new game or console. Happy new year.
Mezzer_1's avatar
Mezzer_1 4 years ago
Mezzer_1's avatar
Mezzer_1 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
All things aside I can see Sony doing this to there loyal fans. If they do I am very tempted to convert to Microsoft for next gen which will be very disappointing. One thing which will go straight against Sony is they haven't any gimmicks such as DVD or Bluray this time. Doing this may spell the end of Playstation, unthinkable 12 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
I think the main reason for the slump is the continueing recession. Wages are staying the same, but bills keep rising. I also think that the gaming industry is getting a bit too greedy. They keep releasing limited edition collectors ultimate editions etc, with extra content that can only be used once for yourself for up £100 and over. Once you have played these editions, then they seriously lose their value, as that extra content can be used once sold on. The best edition is way to expensive, and the standrad edition feels too incomplete, so in the end buy none of them. The other thing that loses the value of the consoles in the future is the online connectivity. Eventually they close the servers and the games become unplayable. Now they are trying to block the use of 2nd hand games. Which will kill these next gen consoles as retro machines in the future. Developers games will only last as long as the consoles life span then, whereas consoles like the NES, SNES, N64, Megadrive etc still live on, through 2nd hand sales. Sure the developers are not getting any more money for them, but if they want more money for it, then they should not stop producing the games for sale. The gaming industry is becoming money down the drain, and in this day and age, it it will become the last form of entertainment to spend money on, especially if games end up costing about £100 each (which is what they cost now at launch + their DLC).
Obviously the recession makes a big difference for a lot of people, everybody is feeling the pinch and games and consoles are luxury items. And yet there's always some moron who will compare sales from now with a more prosperous time and insist that something is failing when it's a few thousand sales short of what something else sold when everybody had more money.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Why are people so suprised by the decline in sales over the last 5 years? Surely the year the new consoles come out will see the most sales (initial huge surge) and every year after will see a decline as there are less potential customers (most potential customers will now already own them).
Beazi's avatar
Problem was this generation didnt even take off well... and we wasnt even in a recession back in 2005 and 2007
Beazi 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Does it really happen like that? Yes there are the early adopters but its once the games start coming out when most people buy. For example if Sony DONT release with Uncharted or LBP a lot of people will wait until they are released. Much like a lot of people are waiting for MH3/Pikmin/Zelda for Wii U.
Robichoico 4 years ago
shiny miller's avatar
The SNES and Mega Drive sold 40m and 49m. The PS3 and Xbox360 have each sold in excess of 70m and are still going (and that's while having extra competition from the Wii, PC gaming, mobile phones and tablets). Fair enough the first year of release probably isn't the peak year, but I imagine the second year when a lot of the big releases have come out is probably the biggest year for a new console.
shiny miller 4 years ago
udoh's avatar
udoh 4 years ago
A lot of this for me, is that there are too many games, I have a stack of games that I haven't got round to playing, to finishing. With the current generation of Consoles, we seem to see a new game released every week or so, it's too much. I can't afford it, and I don't have the time to play them all.
Rachael 4 years ago
Too many games is never a problem i have lol, I dont think there are new games every week, and even if there was it doesnt mean you have to buy them all lol. I think there would be just as many releases if not more on a next gen console if not more.