Nvidia announces Project Shield console

Nvida has used CES 2013 to announce a new console under the name of Project Shield.

Nvidia Project Shield Gaming Console hosts the Nvidia Tegra 4 and includes a 5 Inch Touchscreen that has Retina and 720p Resolution. Apparently the video chip also supports 4k resolutions, making it the first console of its kind to do so.

As for games, "Shield" runs on Android and will play games from Google's Play Store as well as a new NVIDIA TegraZone store.

You will be able to plug this monster into your TV thanks to HDMI out ports etc. Expect to see more on this project very soon.

Edited On 07 Jan, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
this is a surprise announcment looks interesting to say the least but i dont think its something i would spend my money on
Interesting, but I'm not sure the world needs another console, or that one can survive in the marketplace.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I like the ability to play PC games. But all of the ones I play are strategy so I doubt would convert well. Unfortunately I cannot justify buying a third handheld. I aint gotten over paying what I did for the Vita yet.
0000000000's avatar
heavily over priced the vita is in my opinion! why i havent got 1
0000000000 4 years ago
It was the stupid memory cards that put me off ;)
0000000000's avatar
i know like 50-60 pound for a 32 gig if im not mistaken.. rip of!
0000000000 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
The memory card was the deciding factor for me. if im going to spen that much on a handheld console i expect the memory card to come with it.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
It's overpriced, but the memory cards are the worst thing. If they were all priced fairly I wouldn't have so much of a problem. And it needs more games. Everything is either a port or a downgraded version of a console game.
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Looks like an IGN mock up of what a portable Xbox would look like. It has some impressive features, but the lack of exclusive software and seeming reliance on titles that can already be played on existing devices is going to dramatically restrict the Shield's mainstream appeal. Shame, as some genuine crossover in business modelling and game distribution methods between the smartphone/pad markets and dedicated handheld console market is probably the one thing that could end up saving the handheld market from the oncoming implosion it's currently facing.
Solidus 5nake's avatar
Solidus 5nake 4 years ago
I wonder how much this will sell at, what kind of support it will have and if it will sell well? Its already a competitive market as it is, though being Nvidia, its got to have some kind of good potential I guess.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I had a look at an alternative called the Ouya and these cloud platforms are interesting. OnLive has effectively bombed but that was due to bad management. Should games cost as much as iPhone and iPad games this could be a very healthy alternative although I would want games to download for offline play
Brett 4 years ago
very niche market to get the full value youl need atleast 1500 worth of gear added on top and for that you can just buy a much better gaming pc