Rumour: Roadmap for PlayStation Orbis hints at Q4 2013 release

I'm not really a bit one for posting rumours, especially those with no source. However it's 11.30 on a Saturday morning and I'm bored, so here goes.

A rumour started over at VGLeaks, the WikiLeaks of videogame hardware specs, claims to obtained the system's roadmap.

Apparently this is a rough schedule of when Sony expects all things PlayStation Orbis to happen. Obviously if the roadmap below is true then that means a Q4 2013 release for PS4 (or whatever Sony decide to call it, four is unlucky in Japan so we wouldn't be surprised if the system had a different name).

In addition, if again this is true, we'd imagine roadmap's would be subject to change, so this may already be out of date:

2011 June/July - PC with Win7 64-bit and a 'jailbroken' ATI r9 graphics card
2011 Sept/Oct - PC with Win7 64-bit and a 'jailbroken' ATI r10 graphics card
2012 Q1 - disclosure to more developers
2012 E3 - potential unveiling window start
2012 Jul - devkits for engineers writing OS
2012 Q3 - first true hardware prototype devkits
2013 E3 - potential unveiling window end
2013 Q4 - launch

Finally over on Neogaf there is some speculation as to the specs of the next systems, with both looking fairly similar in terms of stats.

PS4 'Orbis'

AMD APU Solution (Jaguar/Steamroller), 4 cores, Higher Clock than X720/Durango
Maybe AMD 8000 series GPU solution
2-4GB GDDR5
Launch Fall 2013/Early 2014

Xbox 720 'Durango'

AMD Jaguar 1.6GHZ 8-Core
AMD 8800/8900 GPU
8GB RAM (DDR3)
Launch 2013

So what do you think of the above rumour? Does it make you day more exciting? Are you ready to splash some cash at the end of the year?

Let us know your thoughts below.

Edited On 12 Jan, 2013

Comments
Arun1910's avatar
Arun1910 4 years ago
Meh, I never really pay attention to rumours anymore seeing as anyone can make them. Even ME.
Rachael 4 years ago
Will be spending the cash when the new xbox is out. Saving now so it won't be too much of a shock to the system. I'm happy with the current Xbox but will not complain about a new one. Won't be looking into the playstation though as i have always been an Xbox gal :)
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Hoping for some good news on the new Xbox, Joe you bored because rangers for once are not a 12:30 kick off on tv? :P
Tw33ks's avatar
Tw33ks 4 years ago
All I will say is that if this speculation turns out to be close to what they actual systems ship with then these are going to be some powerful systems. The HD 8000 series is said to be almost double the power of the HD 7000 series and this will be in a system where 100% of the power will be utilised. If they do go for the HD 8000 series chip even if it's something mid-range like the HD 8850 the graphical leap from Xbox 360 to Xbox Durango will be far larger than the leap from Playstation 1 to Playstation 2. Bring on E3, I can't wait to see what the real spec is.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Hope E3 will be better than last year and not just a Meh, guess I rather watch Gamescon for good stuff. Hopefully Sony and Microsoft will show their consols (Microsoft hopefully release a finish product this time and not just a Alpha version)
I agree last years E3 was terrible. Not alot happened at all. This years one should be amazing though.
Rachael 4 years ago
jlw_trd's avatar
jlw_trd 4 years ago
With both YLOD and the RROD in early current consoles it may be wise to hang on for a while especially since both sony and ms beefing their next gen specs up.
Tw33ks's avatar
Tw33ks 4 years ago
These parts won't emit much heat which was the biggest contributing factor in the YLOD and RROD. They are using APU's if the speculation is correct, these will be the desktop versions but APU's are used in laptops because of the limited power draw and heat. The GPU may run a little hotter but technology has advanced a lot in 8 years, everything has gotten more powerful but everything has also gotten cooler.
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
i will believe these storys when i see microsoft and sony tell the word but i belive this yr needs a next gen console bored on my xbox360
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
OH GOD please don't start doing articles on 'rumours' :-/ I despise sites that do(& most just do it to make the PlayStation brand look bad)
If you dont like them then dont read them :) i think rumours are exciting, certain rumours that is.
Rachael 4 years ago
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
I'll make a final decision after hearing what the PS4 and NextBox will actually be like once they are unveiled at E3 or whenever but at the moment i'm leaning more towards the NextBox, provided it's backwards compatible. I look forward to them being announced.
Meh, it's not how much power you have, but how you use it that matters. That and we are at a point of diminished returns when it comes to power and performance, they can make consoles ten times more powerful, but that doesn't mean ten times better games, just games that look a bit better, they need to get more inventive rather than relying on sheer horsepower or there will be stagnation.
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
More RAM please,
GentleTech's avatar
GentleTech 4 years ago
Might be cool, but i fear it will not play used games anymore. That would suck.
LFC Bywater's avatar
If any console, even the Xbox, decide to do this then i won't buy them. it's a joke. it will me me less likely to buy any new games as it will be too much of a risk. if i dont enjoy a game that i buy now i can trade it in, but if they did this i would miss out on loads of game because i wouldnt want to put my money into something that may not be to my taste.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
InSaNeCaT's avatar
InSaNeCaT 4 years ago
Well, given that Sony have apparently patented a method for associating a game disc (using a built in RFID chip/tag or summat) to a console, to prevent 'consumers' from playing games on any other systems once registered (no trade-ins, no used games, no gaming parties at your friends house unless everyone brings along their games *and their consoles*, no swaps, no reselling, no lending, no hiring from lovefilm/blockbuster, etc etc) then I'm afraid that this might be first console since the PS2 that I don't buy....
Shuy's avatar
Shuy 4 years ago
All the game shops will go out of business then
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
None of the used games thing bothers me. Most of my mates have games that we'd play together anyway and I prefer to own my own things. I doubt Sony will go through with it though unless Microsoft do too. Would be cutting off a part of the market, not the biggest, but definantely a part.