Sony Executive hints at PS4

Hiroshi Sakamoto, a Sony executive from a non-PlayStation division, has said in an interview that a reveal announcement for the next PlayStation console, codenamed PlayStation Orbis, could take place at E3 or even earlier, in May.

Talking to El Mercurio On Line, Sakamoto said when asked about the PlayStation 4 that, "it's still a big secret, but our Sony PlayStation friends are getting ready. I only can say that we're focused on the games related E3 event, booked for June. The announcement can take place there or even before, in May."

This interview has been translated so it could be that there have been a few translation issues, however it does seem likely that Sony will reveal the PlayStation 4 sooner rather than later.

Edited On 14 Jan, 2013

Comments
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
I would be very surprise, if Microsoft and Sony didn't announced their Next-Gen Consol on E3 this year
PrometheusFan's avatar
Expect the consoles to both be revealed well before E3.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Arun1910's avatar
Arun1910 4 years ago
If the console releases this year, which is likely if they reveal it this year, then I wonder what the line up will be? I wonder if there will only be a few exclusives available at launch, or if Developers have next gen versions of their current gen games available for then. For example a Crysis 3 for Orbis for example, or even The Last of Us on Orbis as well as PS3.
You'll get what you get at every console launch, a bunch of half hearted ports and a couple of exclusives that will appear great at the time.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Or perhaps exclusives that don't even appear great at the time, ala Wii U.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Tell us something we didn't already know.
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
I see the future.....I see...a PS4 E3 reveal, shortly followed by Uncharted 4 and InFamous 3 being revealed as a launch titles..
PrometheusFan's avatar
Uncharted 4 is extremely unlikely for launch, but Sucker Punch's next title is strongly rumoured as a PS4 launch title, and that could very possibly be Infamous 3.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Shuy's avatar
Halo 5 launch title for Xbox new console. Fable 4 will be close aswell. I think Xbox will be the #1 gun in the console war.
Shuy 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Wouldn't bank on either of those titles anywhere near launch Karl. Halo 5 hasn't a chance of coming out only a year after 4, especially if it's also coming to new hardware. Fable is in the same boat. not very long since that Kinect Fable game came out and Lionhead are slow developers under the best of circumstances. I think Microsoft are going to be relying heavily on Activision for the new Xbox launch if the leaked documents about exclusivity for that new Bungie IP are to be believed.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Halo gets released every year. I'd be surprised if it DOESNT appear again this year.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Brett 4 years ago
i hope it wont be a case of the wii u and leave the information and pricing until a month before release heres hoping
no47's avatar
I've heard that the next PS and Xbox are going to be priced at around the $400 mark in the US, so you can expect them to be around £400 when released in the UK.
no47 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
I'd be willing to bet on £300 at most... assuming the $400 figures holds up. No one is going to risk a £400 console launch after what a mess the PS3 launch was.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Solidus 5nake's avatar
Solidus 5nake 4 years ago
I hope both console's dont get released this year, it wont be good on the pocket. It wont be so bad if we got the new Xbox towards the end of this year and the new PS next.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
There's seemingly been a lot of PS4 leaks in recent weeks, and a lot of them are pretty encouraging in terms of rumoured specs and pricing. Seems it's likely to be a powerful machine, certainly a significant leap over anything currently available, as a next generation console should be. Only big question mark at this point is over backwards compatability.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
it sure as hell better have backwards compatibility the farce with the ps2 when the ps3 released sucks and i have to keep the ps2 around when i want to play old games
PrometheusFan's avatar
That's the thing though... most people won't care about backwards compatability and not having to include any PS3 hardware in the PS4 design (Most especially the Cell processor) will allow them to sell the console at a much lower price point (See: the massive price cut the PS3 got when PS2 hardware was removed from the design)... and competitive pricing is going to be Sony's top priority with this machine. So it's a trade off between expensive console with BC or reasonably priced console without... or both could happen at once if the theories about two SKUs end up being true.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I'd happily keep my PS3 in my bedroom and my PS4 in my living room if it came down to no Backwards Compatibility. Would mean not having to put out for a blu-ray player.