Skype to replace Xbox LIVE Chat

Xbox LIVE Chat is to be replaced with Skype, according to sources "familiar with the matter," says CVG in a new report.

Microsoft acquired Skype for 8.5 billion dollars in 2011 so the fact that it spent so much money would seem to make this latest rumour a no brainer.

Skype is already the communication tool of choice on many devices, with Sony's PS Vita being one of them. Other devices to use Skype include iPhones, Android Mobiles, Mac and more.

We'd expect the Xbox LIVE version of Skype to be quite an innovative one, with Kinect support sure to be implemented in some way.

What do you think of this news? Let us know below.

Edited On 17 Jan, 2013

Comments
James26's avatar
James26 4 years ago
Meh, probably won't be that much different to the current communication system we have now. I doubt it would be anything innovative or surprising. Little spruce up and a change of name to "Skype Chat" or something along those lines....
drkmn302's avatar
drkmn302 4 years ago
Never used it myself, it be popular amongst the hackers/boosters make it easier to communicate!
0000000000's avatar
agreed
0000000000 4 years ago
Brett 4 years ago
might be time to finnally go pick myself up an xbox oh wait no i have skype on my pc already ... skype would work great instead of the wii u video chat
Even if they done this right now i am relativity sure no one would really notice, at least not at first. I'm thinking the only big thing will be, If One person is signed into Live & the other(s) are using Skype on PC/Mac/Tablet/Iphone/Android/Vita, everyone will be able to communicate
0000000000's avatar
great point totally agree.. i think they are only doing it for the simple fact they own skype and paid a lot for it
0000000000 4 years ago
Its the basic story of 'if you have it use it'
neohawk's avatar
neohawk 4 years ago
This could be pretty cool if you can use it cross platform. Very handy.
neohawk's avatar
neohawk 4 years ago
This could be pretty cool if you can use it cross platform. Very handy.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
As long as they don't half-do it like they did with MSN. I only used MSN messenger because of the fact it gives email alerts. Skype does no such thing XD
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I'm really happy with the way party chat is now, And believe in the saying " if it aint broke, don't fix it" but i've never used skype before, so i can't judge.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
I honestly don't know what skype is, will this mean the end of the likes of party chat and private chat?
Taz 4 years ago
I guess it's so they can also use Kinect for the Skypes ability to show users. I would take a guesstimate that it's to rival Nintendo and being able to video call your friends. Smart move Xbox....don't really care though.
LFC Bywater's avatar
They best not remove party chat, makes it so much easier to communicate with my friends. Not interested in seeing them on camera, if i wanted to do that i'd just go meet up with them.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Rachael 4 years ago
hopefully this does not get rid of the party chat, the private chat is completely useless so will not be sad if that goes. Makes sense for MS to use this too seeing as they spent so much for Skype,
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
I never used xbox chat, so it doesn't make much difference for me. What is interesting is that I haven't seen anyone providing any information about merging skype and MSN accounts (for example, at the moment I have both)
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Unless they change Skype will you just need to add your fellow Friends to the conversation
But that can be solved by then sending a msg saying 'Invite me to Chat' so it will just be like your party is on private the whole time
Beazi's avatar