No Tomb Raider demo before launch

Crystal Dynamics has confirmed that Tomb Raider will not get a demo before launch.

"For all those @tombraider fans asking,?there are no plans to release a demo of the game pre-launch. We don't want to spoil the story," said a tweet from Crystal Dynamics, CrystalKarlD.

"We've weaved such an personal story we don't believe spoiling it by having you wait a week or so to play on, delivers on our promise."

Karl also promised that he would talk more about this subject on the Crystal Habit podcast which is due to arrive today.

Edited On 17 Jan, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Seems like a poor choice. I know it's not a new IP or anything, but with all the negative attention the game is getting, it seems like a good idea to give nay-sayers like myself the opportunity to change my mind before laying out £40 for a game that holds very little interest for me at the moment.
James26's avatar
James26 4 years ago
If I'm honest, this doesn't deter me away from buying it. I tried it out at EuroGamer last year and the build they had there looked and played fantastic. It's a reboot that is getting negative attention for all the wrong reasons, yeah, they've chucked in a multi player, but they had already stated that they're main focus was always the single player story. I didn't hear many people complaining when Uncharted came out with a multiplayer, but anyway I digress. Still a day 1 purchase for me regardless of the presence of a demo or not!
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
No demo doesn't bother me as i will be buying the game day one.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
i think it would probably benefit most gamers if there was a demo for every release, probably not the publishers though
T0N10's avatar
T0N10 4 years ago
No problem for me - day one purchase, looking great! Bit worried about the multiplayer being tacked on but then I'll probably not even try it out, I just wish they'd spent the time on the main game rather than multiplayer
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Is the game too short for them to squeeze out a demo? For me personally, no demo, no purchase
drkmn302's avatar
drkmn302 4 years ago
I like to play the demo's allows most players to make a final decision on their purchase, i could potential led to low sales, means they havent.. well see but im looking forward to it and still purchase it even though theres no demo
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I don't usually go by demos for purchasing decisions, but this would have helped sway me. I played it at EG and didn't think there was anything special about it. The multiplayer, seemingly short SP and general gameplay mechanics such as regen health are putting me off. I understand that demos are expensive to make, but I think in the case of this (and possibly Colonial Marines) it would help sway a lot of people.
Sine i have never really been into Tomb Raider i'll be waiting for the game to hit the 20/25GBP mark
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
this does not bother me in the slightest i have so much hype for the game and a big fan i dont care i think its a great call keep it all secret so its not spoilt.. great choice i cant wait
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I'll probs just wait for this to come down in price a bit before I buy it. It always worries me when there isn't a demo released for new games, makes me think they are trying to hide something, like the fact that the game is no good. We will see though, because everything i have seen about the game so far has looked awesome.
Not bothered, it's only going to be a rental for me anyway.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I imagine they're not eager to see public reaction to the "gameplay" pre-release considering the media previews for the game haven't exactly been glowing. It'll probably sell fine, but boy does it look like it's missing the point of the series big time.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I am unaware of the negative press. I really hope they havent messed this one up :(
Baiken_'s avatar
Baiken_ 4 years ago
I would of really liked to have played a demo but either way im buying this game!
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
How can a demo spoil the story more than the trailers we've all seen? I have a feeling this game is going to be a very slow starter, and you need to get a decent way into it before it gets good, so it'd be either release a boring demo, or skip half the story
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Dont need a demo. From what I've gathered every demo has given me an opposite opinion to the finished game.
Jimbo_1's avatar
Jimbo_1 4 years ago
if their was a demo before hand more people would cancel their pre-order..
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
I'm getting this game anyway, so it doesn't really bother me too much, but the general lack of demos offends me.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I really hope they havent messed it up. I really hope. It looks awesome I like Lara's new look and I like the grime of it. I will still get it and have the collectors edition preordered, but am questioning it if I keep hearing more negative stuff.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I wouldn't worry about the negative press beazi, all games get it. If you reckon you will enjoy it and have the money just buy it, im sure you'd have fun with it, however short it may be :P
Baiken_'s avatar
12 to 15+hrs depending on your play style.
Baiken_ 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Not a bad length then.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Baiken_'s avatar
Nope :)
Baiken_ 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Well Anniversary has taken me over 12 so far... it might be that I'm not very good lol