Rumour - Playstation 4 is 50% more powerful than next Xbox

According to a source close to UK video games news outlet, VG247, the upcoming Playstation 4 is rumoured to be considerably more powerful than Microsoft's next Xbox.

VG247 Editor Patrick Garratt stated that: "Developer sources, speaking after meetings at CES, that the next PlayStation, codenamed Orbis, will have a run-capability of 1.84 teraflops. Conversely, the next Xbox, codenamed Durango, will be able to achieve 1.23 teraflops.

If true, these numbers mean PlayStation 4 will have a 50% raw, computational power advantage over Xbox 720."

Both of the next generation consoles are said to be able to play 100GB Blu ray discs.

The source also stated that the next Xbox will contain a rumoured 8GB of RAM, that will be broken down into 3GB being used solely on the console's operating system and 4-5GB exclusively for games. And the Orbis/Playstation 4 is stated to have?"4Gb of RAM, said our source, of which 1Gb will be reserved for for OS, security and apps, leaving some 3Gb for games."

Perhaps the most interesting part of the leak is that apparently several media outlets are currently holding on to documents relating to the next Xbox, said to be taken from the recent CES in Las Vegas, and are currently working on major leak stories.

We'll have more information on this as it happens.

Edited On 17 Jan, 2013

Comments
Sounds a lot, but it won't equate to a noticable improvement in performance really, the PS3 was more powerful than the 360 on paper, but the difference between them was negligible.
Solidus 5nake's avatar
With great power, comes great responsibility.
Solidus 5nake 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Lol, i knew someone was gunna come out with that one.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Don't keep going on about power. Graphics and gaming on both new concoles will be excellent so just preorder both when they come out lol
ANDREW 4 years ago
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
I really hope Sony don't see this as winning the console race, and slack on getting content and updates out for it.
Sony really do seem to think power is everything, when it's what you do with it that matters.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Sony is the only console maker that has managed to maintain a regular, steady output of high quality first party titles the past couple of years. I think if anyone is going to put the effort into getting a lot of content out there early, it'll be them.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Pretty sure the Xbox has managed that aswell but never mind.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
kevin, no they haven't. I've been a PS fan since about 2000 but if Sony and especially SCEE don't get their act together I'm going PC exclusive next gen. And I really hope the PS4 has more RAM than that, better to have a little too much than not enough.
Scot 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
LFC, Microsoft's first party output the past couple of years has consisted of two Forza games, Halo 4, a reskin of Halo 1 and a pile of Kinect shovelware no one wanted. That's hardly comparable imo.
carbine's avatar
Well you've got the Forza series which totally blew away Gran Turismo on the Playstation. You've got the Halo series which was much better than the Resistance series. You've got the Gears of War series which pretty much smashed any competition on the Playstation. Granted Playstation did have the Uncharted series which was it's one shining light really. Based on the argument which studio came out with the better software, Microsoft wins hands down. You've also got Xbox live which is much more than just a games hub and pretty much revolutionised how an entertainment system will be utilised in the future as a fully multimedia centre for gaming, TV, music and with the addition of Skype and Kinect, a good communication tool too.
carbine 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Uh, you're kind of all over the place and not really addressing my point but whatever. You're missing quite a lot of Playstation series that are pretty big there but highlight nicely Microsoft's dependence on pretty much three series and nothing else. I can't really speak to Forza and Gran Turismo as I don't like games like those, but seeing as Gran Turismo 5 has sold more than every Forza game released on 360 combined it must be doing something right :)
LFC Bywater's avatar
Think you are forgetting Gears of war aswell?
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Gears of War isn't a first party IP, it's made and owned by Epic.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
My PS3 is sat there as no decent software has been released from sony for an age... Please list these great IPs you speak of. So bad Ive had to buy HD collections for it. Only game I am really wanting is Last Of Us. Lucky I can run American Netflix on it as wouldnt touch it other wise.
Alan 4 years ago
Silly Billy's avatar
What exactly counts as a first party Sony game anyway, Uncharted is made by Naughty Dog, Little Big Planet is Media Molecule, GT is Digital Polyphony and so on and so on.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Demons Souls, God of War, Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Uncharted. VERSUS. Fable, Forza, Gears of War, Halo. Now I'm not turning this in to a competition or anything. But I'd be happy owning either console for their exclusives. All top quality series.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I agree with you on the sheer number of IP's Sony have over Microsoft but their is one thing wrong with your message. Metal Gear Solid 4 is a exclusive not a Sony owned IP
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I know Sony doesn't own it. But the fact that you have to buy a PS3 to play it surely puts it in the PS3 category?
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Vane 4 years ago
I don't believe in this rumor.. I think XBOX will be better from PS. I have a 360 don't own ps3. I love Xbox!
carbine's avatar
I own both. While the Playstation 3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360. The delays, pricing and poorer games on the Playstation made the Xbox the better console overall this time round. Maybe Sony will learn next time round.
carbine 4 years ago
The power of the darn thing doesn't matter the only thing that matters is it easy to develop for. Also the PS2 was the weakest console of last gen yet it was the top. Its what you do with it
LAA's avatar
Ah, makes sense, you have an Xbox, therefore Playstation surely cant be more powerful, perfect logic there... I just hope that the Wii U isnt left out of the loop like with the wii, which I dont think should be much a problem with next gen, while I do think PS4/720 will be more powerful, I dont think the amount of power extra will even be very noticable, say compared to PS2-PS3, I think it'll only be little things that are different.
LAA 4 years ago
I don't know if you were having a 'go' but I have a PS3 too and last gen my first console was a PS2 and before that it was the PS1
Or did you mean to reply to Vane since your reply would make perfect sense then
LFC Bywater's avatar
Just read it and i think it was aimed at Vane lol
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PS2 wasn't the weakest console last gen. Dreamcast was. Though it's worth considering that the PS2 was still capable of some pretty impressive technical tricks that the original Xbox couldn't replicate (As witnessed in the much ridiculed Xbox version of MGS2) and even the PS3 and 360 struggle to run properly (As seen in the ZOE HD collection, which has heavy performance issues the PS2 versions of the games didn't have).
Silly Billy's avatar
I thought bad ports had nothing to do with console capability?
Silly Billy 4 years ago
Jimbo_1's avatar
Indeed any console no matter the power can have bad lazy ports. How many bad lazy ports has the Ps3 had? Lost Planet 1, Skyrym blackopps and other COD F1 games(much better when Sony made them) Just to name a few that look worse than the 360 version. MGS2 on Xbox was just a fast lazy port like many early ps3 games and some now. Exclusive tend to be better looking and use more of the PS3's power, multiplatfrom games don't use the PS3 power which if the Ps4 is more powerfull than the Next box it will suffer the same with Multiplatfrom titles. And If SOny's DRM gets any worse then PS4 will be the First sony machine I avoid.
Jimbo_1 4 years ago
True Kevin it was my fault for not counting the Dreamcast but sure in terms of raw power the PS2 was a different class but the Dreamcast could often look alot nicer because it had 8mb VRAM which is double the PS2's 4Mb of VRAM. I would have loved to see what the Dreamcast could have been capable of doing at the end of its life (if it wasn't cut tragically short)
PrometheusFan's avatar
You already pretty much saw the upper limit of what you'd get on Dreamcast with Shenmue 2. A great looking game that had to stop for long loading screens everytime you turned a corner and had excessive disc swapping even by the standards of the time. It was a lot easier to develop for than the PS2 was, so you weren't likely to see the kind of jump in game quality you did with PS2 games in the latter half of it's life because it had pretty much already peaked in that department by the end.
You never know
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
I'm way too nervous about this generation, it seems to be make or break for them all. If they screw up this launch, then it'll be very hard to recover from it.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Numbers like this are meaningless, all that matters are how the games actually turn out.
James26's avatar
James26 4 years ago
Teraflops..........my new favourite word for describing crappy games! (I have no idea what it means but i'm going to use it in this way from now on.)
Ha that's got quite a good ring to it. I think I will steal that thank you very much
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PS3 was more powerful than the 360 but it didn't equate to games such as Bayonetta etc. It all will depend on how games are made. It doesn't really matter anyway, aslong as the PS4 works fine I'll be happy.
PrometheusFan's avatar
The problem with Bayonetta was that the PS3 version wasn't developed by Platinum. As seen in all Platinum games released since, it could have managed a proper version of Bayonetta just fine if it hadn't been outsourced to another developer. Nothing to do with console capability.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Just happy about the Blu-ray being with Xbox now. Means i can buy nicer quality DVD's and will prob's be the end of multiple disc games. Unless the PS3 has these? i wouldn't know as i've never had a PS3.
Artemisthemp's avatar
PS3 games comes on 1 disc
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Ideal, Xbox will have it next gen then :)
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
It's all speculation, but the PS4 being more powerful is a lot more possible than you may think, as both consoles are apparently shooting for a sub 400 dollar launch price but Microsoft are apparently set on bundling next generation Kinects with every console, which is obviously an insanely expensive prospect, so there will need to be compromises elsewhere, and it's entirely possible they'll be on the horsepower front. Not saying this is certain, but it IS a real possibility.
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Lets hope we have more substance than style next gen, regardless of the graphics the consoles could produce
Jimbo_1's avatar
Jimbo_1 4 years ago
Having the power is all be and well, but like the original Xbox only got to show it on exclusive games, same with the PS3 it only shows it with exclusive games. Next gen if it their is a power difference then again it will only show the advantage on exclusive games.
Silly Billy's avatar
And even then it won't be massively better.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Not really a claim that can be made until we actually know the specs of these machines.
Silly Billy's avatar
Yes it is, because no matter how much more powerful it is, it still won't produce greatly improved visuals over even this generation.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Well whoopie doodah. If it's more than £300 I aint buying it. If it doesn't have decent launch titles I aint buying it. Sorry Sony. I been with you for years but if you launch this like you did the PS3 and the Vita then no chance
PrometheusFan's avatar
Unlikely a scenario. Prices north of £300 coupled with no games of worth won't fly with consumers any longer, as we've witnessed with the failure of the Wii U.
Robichoico's avatar
Agreed. So I very much Sony will learn from their mistakes with the PS3 and Vita launches and will likely price it at £450 and have no decent games for launch.
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Also, it's worth clarifying that the rumours about the amount of RAM in both consoles put the new Xbox at 8GB DDR3 RAM and the PS4 at 4GB OF GDDR5 RAM. If true this means that even if PS4 only has half the RAM of the Xbox, it's also significantly faster RAM than the Xbox has, so the bottlenecks the Xbox's 8GB would have to deal with would essentially render that RAM size advantage moot, giving the new Xbox no clear edge on the PS4. Going purely by current rumours obviously...
Jimbo_1's avatar
Jimbo_1 4 years ago
rumours don't you just love them!
Well it get people to discuss thing so... Yes
I always love rumours, Without rumours everything would be a bit boring :-)
Rachael 4 years ago
Agreed
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
it can be as powerful as the sun, but if it blocks used games then its a no from me.
Great point lol if the next gen Playstation or Xbox do block them I will be choosing PC as my number one platform that and I'll finally be able to clear my backlog
ANDREW 4 years ago
Don't keep going on about power graphics and gaming on both new concoles will be excellent so just preorder both when they come out ill be getting both how about you
Artemisthemp's avatar
I will be getting PS4, since Sony never dispointed me. Microsoft and Nintendo will have to work on Exclusive, if they want me to buy their system and stop require money for everything (Microsoft)
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Silly Billy's avatar
Microsoft demand money for everything? Not as bad as Sony, you can get a years Xbox Live for the same price as a piddly little Vita memory card, much better value.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Vita memory cards start at 15 quid. That wouldn't even get you three months of Xbox Live, which I personally consider to be a poor value service, as it is literally just charging you money to access content you have already paid for. Want to play multiplayer on that multiplayer only game you just bought for 40 quid? You need to pay Microsoft first. Want to access that Lovefilm/Netflix app you're already paying a subscription fee to use? Sorry, you need a Microsoft subscription for that... and so on. Paying a subscription to use things you own is not good value.
ANDREW 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
yeh cus everybody has £600+ floating about... lol
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
James26's avatar
James26 4 years ago
Ah, the great console debate... http://imgur.com/4h9bv
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
this is only going to make a difference to exclusive titles anyway.. of which playstation just doesn't have as many good ones
ZdravkoN's avatar
You are absolutely correct about the difference only in exclusive titles. There isn't a developer studio that will spend extra time adding extra detail on playstation version, versus the versions for other consoles (or PC). About the exclusive titles, I will have to disagree. Playstation has exclusive titles that are pretty good like God of War, Uncharted, the upcoming Last of Us, Little Big Planet and so on. I am an xbox gamer, and I love the platform. My point is, do not underestimate the playstation. It is a good console. I don't know if you remember, but at the beginning of the cycle of the XBOX360 and PS3, the 360 had a lot of problems with durability (the first version of the xbox got that RROD problem quite often). PS3 didn't suffer from these problems. The real solution came with the Slim version. That is the main reason why I didn't bought the 360 at the beginning. I will do the same thing with the new generation as well. I will hold back for a few months, before buying the next version (I like xbox exclusives more: gears of war, halo etc ;)).
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
Also worth to mention, that 360 was a more expensive system than PS3, when it came out, because it didn't have 1. Optical Out 2. HDMI 3. WIFI 4. Bluetooth (still don't have it) 5. Rechargeable Controllers (still don't come with and Battery pack are rubbies) 6. Blu-ray 7. Region Lock (Still is) 8. You have to buy expensive Microsoft Harddrive, instead of just buying a cheap 500 GB 2.5.
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
ZdravkoN's avatar
You are right, and some of those thing are really missing. And there is the necessity to pay for Online Multiplayer (XBOX Live Gold). But there is also the PSN outage and data leak.
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
I didn't included the need to pay for Gold Sub and PSN outage/Date Leak, since it have nothing to do with Hardware on the consol. If we looking into Software, then we could bring up PS3 lack of option to install game instead of running from disc or 360 changing UI design every year. This is like saying iPhone has better UI and control (it's a lie) than Android or WP8.
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
I feel I need to say this. The Xbox 360 isn't region locked Microsoft leave it up to the devs/puplishers to decided whether a game is locked
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Sony will benefit from NG Xbox games sales, since Sony will get Royality from Blu-ray disk made. Hopefully this also means DVD Anime will die and Blu-ray Anime will become more the norm, than the exception
DVD anime will never die in the west if some people still refuse to buy Blu-ray
Tw33ks's avatar
Tw33ks 4 years ago
I think in the end it depends where the power is. I mean Playstation 3 had a raw computational power of 2.34 teraflops and in computing terms it will be more powerful than both Xbox Next and Playstation Orbis, but that's because the CPU came out of a super computer. The CPU though didn't affect graphics and where it mattered Xbox 360 had the slightly better GPU, so for all Playstation 3's power it was in the wrong place.. I can see the same happening here, chances are Playstation Orbis uses an AMD 8-core CPU and Xbox Next uses an AMD 4-core CPU and that is where the 50% power difference comes from, but both will probably have similar GPU's to the point where it'll be hard to separate the two..
Shuy's avatar
Shuy 4 years ago
Microsoft's Xbox is still going to wipe the floor with Sony's PS4. Xbox is going to have a connectivity with Windows 9 and Microsoft are going to concentrate more on their Xbox Live as they always have. People forgot Xbox was the one that really pushed console online gaming. The new Xbox is going to be great for online gaming.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Windows 9? You do realise that Windows 8 is only getting small increases, thus not jumping up a number anytime soon? And wipe the floor? Unless Sony sells a dishcloth and says its a games console, they aren't going to wipe the floor.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
Hopefully the next Xbox will be a finish Product and have good exclusive
Artemisthemp 4 years ago