Codemasters confirms staff layoffs

##@image@##

UK publisher and developer Codemasters has this morning confirmed that there will be staff layoffs at the company.

Speaking to Eurogamer, a spokesperson confirmed the news, although also mentioned that the layoffs are not company wide.

It was also confirmed the loss of around 80 jobs "is not anticipated" to affect the development of titles such as Grid 2 and the annual F1 series.

Codemasters issued the following statement:

As the Company realigns its operations to focus on areas of increased strategic importance and decrease resources in areas that are not delivering value for the business, the Company has proposed the restructure of certain aspects within its digital development and publishing units in line with future product strategy.

"As a result of the proposed restructure, the Company has therefore entered into a period of collective consultation with the affected employees.

"The restructure is not company-wide and is not anticipated to impact the development of its core console and PC titles such as Grid 2 or its annual Formula One title."

Edited On 18 Jan, 2013

Comments
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
That's not good to hear, I'm guessing we wont be seeing another dirt game? as showdown was a mess and it's more than likely the staff that worked on that getting cut.
Beazi's avatar
Seemed an awful game... with very little interest. Dirt 2 was the best
Beazi 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
I loved the first 3, played showdown at a mates house and didn't even bother getting it. Couldn't believe they took out in car view.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I can also see it being that team. I bought The latest Dirt on relase date and felt robbed, it was such a terrible game and possibly the worst dirt that was pushed out.
Rachael 4 years ago
Masterchocobill's avatar
Masterchocobill 4 years ago
Layoffs are sad news. I think the last Codemasters game I played was Dizzy though :/
superniceguy's avatar
I read somewhere that they were planning on reviving the Dizzy franchise.
superniceguy 4 years ago
Silly Billy's avatar
They did a mobile version, that was as far as it went.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
They did a kickstarter to try and fund a new Dizzy game. It didn't even get half of the amount they hoped for.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Baiken_'s avatar
Aww i remember playing a Dizzy game was good fun.
Baiken_ 4 years ago
Times are hard, retailers going to the wall, Sony selling off property to cover their losses and now this all in the same week.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
This is not a good news. I have enjoyed most of the Codemaster's games (mostly on PC). I hope that GRID 2 will be as awesome as the first one.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
If they are going under couldnt they do one last thing to revive them and thats re-release all of there old Micro Machines games for the PS3 and XBox.
LFC Bywater's avatar
I've got Micro machines V3 on my ps1, it's still as awesome as it used to be :D
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Micro Machines 2 was my favourite. Playing League Tables was awesome.
Beazi 4 years ago
shiny miller's avatar
Micro Machines V3 was AMAZING. Played it for years and was still finding new stuff - and regularly had 5 player matches with friends (even did 8 players a few times). Unbelievable how an official sequel hasn't been released for the current generation.
shiny miller 4 years ago
Never liked Codemaster games but it is still a shame that people are losing their jobs
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I liked a lot of there games. Was Zool one of theres?
LFC Bywater's avatar
Indeed it was.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
KaotikKnight's avatar
Zool was developed by Gremlin Graphics not Codemasters.
KaotikKnight 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Is there actually going to be anyone in employment by the end of the year?
LFC Bywater's avatar
At the rate things are going looks like there wont lol
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
I havent bought a codemasters game in years, I'm just not interested in racing games, that seems to be their problem, they're a very focused developer, which means you either like em or don't.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Layoffs at studios are always a bummer. Codies seem to be pretty bulletproof with their racing studios. I guess that means the likelyhood of another Operation Flashpoint game is getting further and further away. Hopefully the laid off staff can get something elsewhere. Shame to see british jobs lost. Especially with the game dev tax breaks incoming
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
I was expecting this article to be about the F1 team. Sales for the F1 games do appear to be dwindling fast if VGChartz is anything to go by - F1 2010 2.10mil, F1 2011 1.99mil, F1 2012 1.05mil.
troublemaker's avatar
I would expect the same. 2010 was a groundbreaking F1 game. But it's fallen into the "yearly iteration" catalogue that annoys so many gamers. Like FIFA, Madden, and anything else with the EA Sports logo. Why would we replace a game with the same game every year?
troublemaker 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
It wouldn't be so bad if they had the competence to release an F1 game that wasn't so buggy; And when they have finally got round to releasing a patch for the bugs hardly anyone plays the game. They've clearly put many off with their buggy crap. I wont be surprised if we see the F1 licence in someone elses hands at some point in the near future
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Aint bought anything from these guys in years. What do they actually make these days aside from yearly F1 games.
Rachael 4 years ago
80 Jobs is a bad loss :( But im happy they are still going to put out Grid 2, Grid was possibly my favourite ever racing game until the servers reset all of my stats, so i am massively looking forward to number 2 :D Hopefully all effected will find other jobs linked with the gaming industry.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
tough break, times are hard for everyone
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
How about releasing an F1 game for example, which everyone will buy then releasing with the Playstation Magazine or as part of a yearly annual, an update disk, which adds new courses,drivers etc. without buying the new game. I think the yearly releases by EA, Codemasters and Activision are getting a bit silly. Even EA could save on everything by doing this (releasing new kits, teams and players on an individual disk - would mean keeping players in the game who retire so you can build an ultimate dream team), and most of there data is created by a community. Reason I know that is as I am part of it. Prices will drop considerably, and companies will find they make lots of profit from very few big release gambles (as it is at the moment)
Brett 4 years ago
its too bad we live in such difficuilt times my thoughts go to them and whoever they support
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
There are alternatives to this sort of thing though
Alan 4 years ago
Codemasters. For me kings of the C64. Would save my pocket money and clean peoples cars on the street to get my fix of Dizz (yolk folk one of my favourites). Micromachines on the megadrive 4 player using the extra joypad ports on the cart was just amazing. The problem now is they just seem to have driving sims and thats it. Just hope its doors remain open as UK developers seem to be getting smaller (Ninja theory, Rare and lionhead being some of the exeptions).