Rumour: Sony dropping DualShock design for PS4 controller, PS4 being revealed in a matter of weeks

Another day, another rumour concerning the next generation of games consoles. According to a source close to UK video games website, CVG, Sony are planning to abandon the iconic DualShock design for the Playstation 4/Orbis - in favour of a brand new biometric design with an inbuilt screen. Read on for more details.

CVG's source states: "Experiments within Sony's R&D department are thought to have been extensive. Versions of the new PS4 pad include biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch screen"

A second, separate source who is also connected to Sony said that Sony and Playstation engineers are "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita". CVG believe that this means that the PS4 will allow for deep integration with Sony's portable console, PS Vita.

Rob Crossley, CVG's Associate Editor went on to say that "The new PS4 controller design, which remains a closely guarded secret across the PlayStation organisation, is expected to break new mould for Sony." and that "The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months."

Thanks CVG.

Edited On 18 Jan, 2013

Comments
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Kinda hope Sony don't drop the Dual Shock, since it's my favorite controller. But I would love, if Sony used Live Area for PS4
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
A built in screen?? Sounds familiar lol. Dropping dualshock could be a bad idea, its what everybody is used to so could back-fire
Its like the Move all over again & everyone knows the PS Move is just a glorified Wiimote. I agree dropping the Dualshock would most likely backfire i mean its what everyone has been using for 10+ years.
-Shockle-'s avatar
I agree, it is a bad idea. But im sure Sony will keep rolling out dual shock controllers alongside any new pad. Or at the very least make the ps4 compatible with dual shock controllers to enable them to quietly switch back in the event that a new "improved" controller doesn't go down so well.
-Shockle- 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I prefer the Dualshock controllers... would be very dissapointed if they ditch it for a wii like gimmick
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
They won't drop the dualshock for something with an inbuilt screen. I can guarantee it. They'd be foolish to do it. If they had an add on of it like the Move Controller, fine, go ahead. But the dualshock or a similiar controller has to be the main item at hand.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Not surprising, but it's a shame to see the end of the classic design... even though it seems the PS4 is also going to let you use DualShock 3 controllers if you want to, so anyone not wanting to move on doesn't have to. Can't see the screen in controller thing panning out though. Judging from the fact they were experimenting with LCD tech, it seems they weren't aiming for a Wii U style screen (And presumably they won't feel the need to try and emulate this given Wii U's "popularity" right now) as much as a Dreamcast style VMU complimentary control method... basically meaning it couldn;t do stuff like off-TV play and the like. Still sounds like a bad idea though. Also, I'd forgotten how awful that PS3 prototype controller looked.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Now the VMU was something that was great poorly executed
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
The DualShock is my favourite controller! I hope they don't mess this up, if it is true
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
I Love the DS3(&DS1&2) Pads. I hope there will be a DS4 pad that is not to different to the DS3 pad + FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! PLEASE LET THERE BE THE - "PS4 being revealed in a matter of weeks" :D because already i am getting sick & tired of the rumors on the internet :-/
LFC Bywater's avatar
I doubt it will be officially announced till E3, So you better get used to them.. :P
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
no47's avatar
no47 4 years ago
I love the feel and design of the dual shock controller as well, so i hope they keep it along side the new controller for the PS4, if this is true.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
So, playstation U?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Biometrics and an LCD display? and people said the WiiU controller was "gimmicky". I honestly cannot think of one useful way to implement biometrics into a games console
Silly Billy's avatar
Security, to stop anyone else using it.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
Seriously? What a tremendous waste of time and money that would be! I can see thepoint if it's, say, a portable console. But a home console simply doesn't require that kind of tech. To make things worse, not only will it up production and eventually console costs, it'll also increase the cost of replacement controllers. Aren't they expensive enough? How much does it cost to replace a wiiu controller?
troublemaker 4 years ago
I wouldn't put it past Sony, locking consoles to a user like that would mean no second hand market for it.
GentleTech's avatar
GentleTech 4 years ago
This is kinda bad, i always liked the dualshock, ever since the old days of PS1
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
ITS A BOOMERANG! I wouldn't be adverse to an upgrade to the DualShock myself. It works but it isn't special in any kind of way. Better than Wiimote but not nearly as good as 360mote, Wii U Gamepad or the Cube controller. I'd like to have a controller that doesn't feel all cheap and nasty from Sony. I can already feel mine on the way out.
Shuy's avatar
Shuy 4 years ago
PlayStation Orbis? What is their new console a space station? It certainly looks like it! :O
neohawk's avatar
neohawk 4 years ago
So PS4 will cost about £90,000? I'll take 7.
LAA's avatar
LAA 4 years ago
I dont mind them dropping dualshock, in fact, I think its time for them to come up with something new. The 360/Wii U Pro controller I feel are both superior to the dualshock in terms of comfort, the dualshock just feels quite dated to me, although, I'm glad they used it over that boomerang controller... It could have been better with more redesigns I guess though. Interesting to know it could be revealed in a few weeks though, I just want to know what PS4/720 will both offer, so I can consider which I may get, if any. I think it will likely be PS4, considering I'm just fed up of paying for xbox live now and they offer very little exclusives I care about, but as I have a Wii U, I think I'll be waiting for a while before getting PS4, also since I'm perfectly happy with what PS3 will offer this year and most likely next year.
I called this a while back, that other manufacturers would follow Nintendo with screens in their controllers.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Could biometrics measure heart rate? If so there are some possibilities there, would still be gimmicky though.
You mean like the Wii vitality sensor?
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I wonder what the console is going to look like. I'm going for a large (initial) design, with a flip top (to keep costs low). I also think any new console has to and will debut a lot less than the costs for PS3 and PS2 especially with the issues we see from retailers like HMV and Blockbuster at this time. You never know the current climate of stores (although believe it or not the financial climate is getting better) could push things back more
LFC Bywater's avatar
I don't think that the cost of the console will be reduced. With better technology if anything they will cost more. I think i read somewhere to expect it around £250+ Wishful thinking though.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Doesn't matter. If Game are still around they'll overcharge for it and the rest will follow. We saw Wii U go up on amazon for £200 then Game put it up for £300 and amazon quickly changed it. If it's under £300 for the PS4 I'll be very surprised. Sony aint gonna be selling it at a loss and the way they handled the Vita and the PS3 at launch makes me doubt they'll learn from previous mistakes.
Robichoico 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Game didn't control the pricing for the Wii U. Amazon aren't going to take a large whack off profit margins when Nintendos line was 'with one game purchase we'll be in profit' where as if it was £200 it'd be 'with 4 game purchases, we'll be in profit'
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Brett 4 years ago
now for the flame war.
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
even tho i like the controller it can be a bit tricky to use on certain games,if they could just make it a little bigger and move the joysticks a lttle further apart like my xbox controller that will please me cant wait to see what this new ps4 and controller is gonna look like