Rumour: Next Xbox specs revealed by VG Leaks

Managing to wade through the snow on this rather cold Monday? Well how about another next generation rumour to warm your icy insides?

Here we go! VG Leaks have stuck to their word from last week and decided to post what they say are the official specifications for Microsoft's next Xbox, which is currently being developed under the codename - Durango.

A couple of interesting things to point out are that the leak details the next Xbox will feature a something called the Move Engine, which I believe is a physics based chip for the console and that the console features a?High-fidelity Natural User Interface sensor.

Remember, everything posted below is considered a rumour until Microsoft confirm anything.

CPU:

- x64 Architecture
- 8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)
- each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache
- each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache
- each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources
- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock

GPU:

- custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor
- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads
- each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle
- at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second

High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present

Storage and Memory:

- 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)
- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)
- from the GPU?s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.
- Hard drive is always present
- 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive

Networking:

- Gigabit Ethernet
- Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct

Hardware Accelerators:

- Move engines
- Image, video, and audio codecs
- Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware
- Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing

So, what do you think? Let us know in the comments below.

Edited On 21 Jan, 2013

Comments
MrHighway's avatar
MrHighway 4 years ago
Not too shabby but rumours are rumours, but for me it's not the hardware that would seal the deal but cost, membership fees for online and games. I have faith in the hardware it's the other choices that are going to have the biggest impact in my opinion.
Rachael 4 years ago
I know i will be sticking to xbox no matter what. I don't even mind paying for Xbox live either. The man factor for me is that my friends will be sticking on xbox which means i will be too.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what any of that means, but I'm very worried about a rumor i heard that Microsoft has also patented something to stop the use of preowned games, which will mean the death of most high street stores, who's majority of their profits come from used games.
MrHighway's avatar
I believe it was Sony with that patent - haven't heard anything similar regarding Microsoft. To be honest I buy the majority of my games online anyway but I understand your point, if that kind of limitations do get put in place there's likely to be a big backlash.
MrHighway 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
If it is Microsoft i will be pissed. I don't buy a whole lot of pre-owned games but i do like to take back games that i am finished with.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
There was a rumour at the beginning of last year that MS would be implementing tech to detect and stop the use of pre-owned games. A quick google search will bring it up. But I doubt either company would risk the backlash form their customers by implementing such a design.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
Sounding good. I'm really looking forward to the official announcement. Mainly because then the game devs can talk more openly about it and we'll get an idea of the launch line up. Provided it's backwards compatible - I'll get this and not PS4.
Couldn't care less about power, it's all about the games, and it's going to take more than updates of the usual suspects to pique my interest.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 4 years ago
Like the above comment "I don't care less about the power" of either the next Xbox or Playstation, it's all about the games. As much as I love gaming but I don't want these all new powerfull machines if all developers are going to give us is 'copy and paste' jobs of more COD, F1, Forza ... .... .... ZZzzzzz Developers need a good kick up the backside.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
All those numbers are great, but until we see the hardware in use, with something vaguely new, then it is simply a list of components with no evidence of how well they will actually work together.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Don't understand the majority of this Jargon either. Not fussed at all about a built in kinect though, but i like the addition of blu-ray.
MrHighway's avatar
not fussed about it either but it's one less thing they can promote ceaselessly and charge us extra for :')
MrHighway 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
It's looking like Xbox 3 is more focused on multimedia functionality than anything here... quite the contrast to the rumoured PS4 specs which go in the opposite direction entirely.
Coolsambob's avatar
Really hope this is the case, everyone seems to be multimedia based at the moment, when all most people want is games. And Netflix.
Coolsambob 4 years ago
Tw33ks's avatar
I think the issue with focusing on multimedia is everything can do that these days. I think Sony are being smart as they spent all of this generation working on multimedia, they ushered in Blu-Ray and adapted to video streaming culture offering Netflix, LoveFilm and more. Now these aren't going to go away they'll be on PlayStation 4 the only difference is on top of advertising all this multimedia functionality they can also boast a system 50% more powerful than the closest rival. As it stands if this leak is legit, Xbox Next has an under powered next gen system that can do multimedia just like every device made in the last 3 years.
Tw33ks 4 years ago
MrHighway's avatar
If it is indeed true that the PS3 comes out the more powerful system and puts the focus on gaming then i'll be heading that way I think, I mean i've owned a 360 for 5 years and I've only ever used it mainly as a gaming device occasionally used Netflix but i've never used Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, or the majority of the other apps to be honest. I just don't see the need for them all, sure some people may use them but it was a console originally and that's what it should be.
MrHighway 4 years ago
Tw33ks's avatar
Tw33ks 4 years ago
Just to state that the rumoured GPU here from a floating-point performance standpoint is identical to the previous rumour in the article stating PlayStation 4 was 50% more powerful. That article had PlayStation 4 at 1.8 teraFLOPS with the Xbox at 1.2 teraFLOPS. This article has Xbox at 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second which is the long form for 1.2 teraFLOPS... This seems to be the long form specs that based the initial rumour and having now seen this long form spec sheet it just seems too detailed to be made up.
b3media's avatar
b3media 4 years ago
I'd like to have seen a Thunderbolt port on there. It kills me not being able to hook my games console up to my Thunderbolt Display.
morpheus2n2's avatar
morpheus2n2 4 years ago
The big question is WILL the next consoles from both MS and Sony be Backwards compatible seen as this year alone there's some big titles coming I would be mega pissed to have bought them plus my current collection and then not play them on the new console as well. Yeah I could just fire up my old gen and play them there but what's the point in that when I have a shiny next gen :) Plus my TV don't have that many HDMI ports lmao
Tw33ks's avatar
More than likely not. Sony are going with AMD for their processor this time and while that processor is advanced, it's not as powerful at the CELL in the PS3. CELL was built around unfathomable power, not so much for games but power. This means that games built on CELL won't run on pretty much anything else. Microsoft are apparently going with IBM again who made the Xbox 360 processor so that may have backwards compatibility, but the industry is that monetised these days they may have all Xbox 360 games up for download but no disk based backwards compatibility.
Tw33ks 4 years ago
Easy answer, get yourself a HDMI hub.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
I have both 360 and PS3, and my TV only has one HDMI port, I just unplug fro the back of one box and into the other whenever I fancey a change it only takes like 10 seconds if that.
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
morpheus2n2's avatar
morpheus2n2 4 years ago
Sorry for double post sites playing up on chrome again
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
as an xbox lover ill be getting this anyway! this is good specs but its not everything anyway... there will always be ps lovers and xbox lovers no matter what thats how the gaming world works... BUT! i will be getting this anyway! looking good i cant wait for it to go up on pre order because i will be ordering it on the day!! im saying 50/50 between ps and xbox but im hoping the xbox is on top next gen
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Sounds like Microsoft are trying to make it more into a PC. Should be trying to get more exclusives instead.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
Amen to more exclusives, I honestly can't remember the last new IP that was exclusive... That's where they need to put the money they make from gold subscriptions not on that smart glass crap that probably 2-3% of the community use.
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
There's lots of new IPs....but they're all Kinect stuff.
Robichoico 4 years ago
MrHighway's avatar
Oh wow, smart glass i'd genuinely forgotten about that whole thing :') And tbh I dont see the point in exclusives, it's just one good way to fuel fanboyism. I know you have to have them otherwise there'd be no need for two consoles but it's always seemed kind of futile to me.
MrHighway 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Exclusives are there to entice the customer to buy their system. No exclusives means no reason to buy the system. Microsoft seem to be forgetting this and going for an experience more focused on multimedia. Which is essentially what people are buying Tablets, Smartphones and Laptops for. If average joe goes into the store looking for a games console and finds most of the games are out on both systems. They're gonna be looking at the exclusives. and unfortunately Microsoft seem to have four. Halo, Forza, Gears of War and Fable. Worse is that two of these are yearly releases. Its sad knowing that Microsoft are sitting on the likes of the Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct and Conker and doing nothing. I'd rather see them try and fail with these than just not try at all. Of course Rare is now only Rare in name.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
c-c-c-c-combo breaker!!! i loved killer instinct but didnt there patent application fail recently because of a really crap film or something?
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I am not fussed about the supposed hardware either, my only hope is backward compatibility! not all Xbox original games worked on the 360 as they gave up fixing it this needs to be rectified so it doesn't end up like the PS3
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 4 years ago
To be honest I've never been one of these 'fanboys' who will spend time arguing over which console is best, same with games, I'm lucky enough to own both consoles and intend to buy both next generation consoles but for the first time in a long time I don't like the direction Microsoft seem to be taking. Someone else said in this thread and it's true that when the Xbox was released it was a games machine for the gamers, not so much these days and this is where their focus seems to be with the next console, apps, music etc etc the games seem to have gone to the back of the queue. I hope I'm wrong and my worries turn out to be unfounded but not feeling so optimistic about Microsoft at the moment.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
I would agree with you there Old Timer, PS3s PlayStation extra looks like a much better business model than Xbox live at present and it keeps getting better as Live keeps getting worse (eg. Removal of Inside Xbox) I just keep holding out hope that it has to get better at some point?
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Alison 4 years ago
To be honset i had the xbox for 5 years i was happy with it but got a bit bored got my ps3 about 3 yrs ago i,m happier and will get the right console 4 me but ps4 preferably and i think both consoles will be digital with a monthly subscription sony need the dollars like myself
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
I feel microsoft is going down the pan I've. Been a Xbox user since the first one and now I've decided to go to ps3 as I feel you get more for ya 29.99 a yr sub if Xbox implemented this idea I would be happy to return but feel I'm being ripped off.the specs look ok but I worry Xbox is more concerned with apps and tv than the original idea of gaming
Alison 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
They won't be pure digital. Doing that at this point would be suicidal for either company. Remember the PSP Go? Sony tried to cut out the middle man with that and a good portion of shops simply retaliated by choosing not to stock it. Also the fact that there's a decent amount of people with no internet or poor internet. And the people who like to collect games. Also we wouldn't get nearly as good deals and gaming overall would become more expensive.
Robichoico 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
im staying loyal to the xbox no matter what i do agree its not having the best time at the moment the 360 isnt compared to the ps3... BUT it will come good next gen i have faith in that! just give me a release date and a link to pre order please shopto :D
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 4 years ago
kikicookie90 ... you make a very good point about "Microsoft coming good" .. even though at this time like I said above I'm not that optimistic at the moment they always come up smelling of roses so I should have faith it will be no different here. As I said I'm no fanboy, I'm in a fortunate enough position that if both next gen consoles appeal to me I will get both, the only downside to that is the wife will moan at me even more when more games appear through the letterbox from Shopto. @ Shopto .. You folks really need to change the appearance of your envelopes so it's not so obvious there's a game in there, it would make my life so much easier ;)
0000000000's avatar
im in the same boat there old timer :( im always at work when the post arrives so i have no escape route sadly! i agree with the new envolopes idea though :D or maybe a rental service to stop me getting moaned at as much
0000000000 4 years ago
Tw33ks's avatar
Tw33ks 4 years ago
Hmm having looked at this spec more and having done a bit of research this system is deceptively powerful. I'm going to split this into multiple posts as it'll be a wall of text otherwise. The GPU appears to be based on the same spec that the HD 8770 will be based on later this year, this makes it a GPU PC's don't even have yet. What makes this more interesting is the 32Mb ESRAM which is linked through the Northbridge to the CPU and GPU, this will allow developers to add features to games that would normally tax the GPU too much. This is huge.
Tw33ks's avatar
Moving on the CPU. This isn't all that powerful, it'll do the job but it's not the focus of this spec though it does look like two AMD Jaguar based CPU cores combined. This allows them to have their own L2 cache for added workflow. What is key here is the Data Move Unit, I believe that to be the simplified name for a 'Blitter'. In tech a Blitter is something used in parallel to a CPU to move data around fast, I'm talking 550Gb/s fast. A Blitter turbocharges a system and has been known to make it run far better than it otherwise should, if that is the case Xbox Next could be a beast in the processing area.
Tw33ks 4 years ago
Tw33ks's avatar
The RAM is simple. It has 8Gb of high speed 2133Mhz RAM more than likely in a quad channel setup. This was worked out as to get the 68Gb/s bandwidth specified here needed to be that speed and that configuration. I assume 1Gb will be used for the operating system making it very much like a PC here. More RAM is better for loading and textures and all that good stuff.
Tw33ks 4 years ago
Tw33ks's avatar
Overall this system is powerful. It's more than likely on par with a mid to high end PC of today, though due to developers being able to code directly to the CPU and GPU makes it far more powerful and capable than a PC of today. In comparison to current gen this system is about 12x more powerful, and given the kinds of graphics current gen is achieving sky is the limit for next gen. It's an exciting time for gamers.
Tw33ks 4 years ago
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 4 years ago
@ kikkicookie ... well I'm not pleased you get the same ear bashing about buying games but it is nice to know it's not just me lol .. @ Tw33ks .... I know nothing about these specs but the way you have explained the new console makes more sense to me now than it did before so much appreciated :)