The Last of Us 'Joel Edition' announced. Now available for pre-order!

Sony has today announced the contents of the Special Edition for The Last of Us, including a unique canvas wrap, and filled with exclusive physical and downloadable content arriving on May 7th 2013

Here's the official pack contents of the Special Edition.

Contents:

- The Last of Us mini artbook: explore the world of The Last of Us through some of the remarkable artwork that gave shape to the game
- The Last of Us: American Dreams Issue #1: the first in a series of comics created in partnership with - Dark Horse to delve into the backstory of Ellie. The version included features a variant cover found only in these special editions
- Exclusive game pack
- Collectable poster
- DUALSHOCK 3 skin
- Survival DLC Pack

Multiplayer Bonuses:

- Bonus XP
- Melee booster
- In-game currency
- Customizable character items
- Bonus Joel and Ellie skins available once the single player game is completed
- Sights & Sounds DLC Pack

- Official Game Soundtrack by Academy Award winning musician Gustavo Santaolalla
- PS3 Dynamic Theme
- PSN Avatars: Winter Joel & Ellie
- LittleBigPlanet Sackboy Skin

Finally, in addition to the Special Edition packs, anyone who pre-orders the standard version of The Last of Us (available from all retailers), will receive the 'Sights & Sounds DLC Pack', as a 'thank you' bonus.

Edited On 22 Jan, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
This game looks truly amazing. Unfortunately, like so many games recently, my excitement for it diminished almost completely at the mention of multiplayer! This game could be so great, and possibly will still be. But I won't buy a game that is clearly about the single player experience now that it has had Multiplayer added on by committee!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Not a fan of the Uncharted series?
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
I am. But I have to be honest, the fact Naughty Dog (their second team if I remember right, TLOU has been worked on since before Uncharted 3's release) are making it doesn't swing me as much as it does others. As much as I try my hardest to supprt new IP, the fact it's had MP added completely unnecessarily bugs the hell outta me. I fully expect the game to be spectacular, but much like the Tomb Raider reboot, MP just isn't required. It's being added on for sales and the opportunity to sell DLC at a later date. Added onto a game that is clearly a story based single player game that has had MP added not for the benefit of the game and players, but for after sale income for the publisher. I can't abide that.
troublemaker 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
What makes you believe multiplayer wasn't a part of this game's design from the start?
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Skiba's avatar
to be fair this game is a new IP so if they want it to have MP fine, they did say from day one it would have MP.
Skiba 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
No it wasn't. Mp was mentioned first a couple of months ago. And Naughty dog said nothing about MP when they were showcasing it at E3 last year. They may have been developing the MP since the start, but LOOK AT THE GAME! It's a story driven single player game. How on earth does anyone think that a game like this needs or wants multiplayer?
troublemaker 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
I have to be honest, i dont mind the odd tacked on multiplayer but player numbers always drop horribly sharply and they all play exactly the same. someone needs to come up with something new and amazing for it to stick.
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
It just doesn't make sense to me. You won't play a single player game as it gives you the option, not the necessity, to play multiplayer too? That's just crazy. Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Uncharted etc. all had 'tacked on MP' but still had amazing storylines that you'd be foolish to miss out on based on the fact they had put in a MP option.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
I haven't said I won't play it, I've said that I don't like that it has multiplayer. Publishers all over the world are forcing multiplayer into games that simply don't require it. We as players are to blame for a lot of it. Recent games with no single player (DX:HR, Sleeping dogs, Hitman) get finished and traded in because there is nothing to keep them playing. This causes the publisher to lose money. So to combat it, the publisher forces MP to be added (then adds in trophies/achievements to force trophy hunters to play god awful MP for their precious 100%) I'm not saying all MP is bad. I was the first to hold my hand up and say I was wrong about the AC multiplayer. But in the same breath, I reminded people that the experience is tarnished by the people "run and gunning" simply to get their trophies out of the way. Please, please don't think I'm saying that TLOU is going to be bad. I'm not. What I'm saying is that I would prefer the Sony and Naughty Dog focused on the Single Player experience and stop trying to add to their income with DLC and Network Pass charges for a multiplayer that, at best, will be dead a couple of months afterwards as players go back to their staple MP fix.
troublemaker 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Well, the multiplayer for Uncharted 2 and 3 is still pretty active last time I tried them, so I daresay it won't be dead TOO quickly. Also, your point about the multiplayer being tacked on because the single player is story driven is such a flawed line of reasoning I don't even know where to begin. I mean... even Call of Duty and Battlefield 3 have story driven single player. Do those series have 'tacked on' multiplayer as well?
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
Ok. firstly, until Bad Company, BF never had a single player. And while they are great fun, they absolutely play second fiddle to the multiplayer. The same goes for Call of Duty. There are exceptions (Bad Company 2, Black Ops) that had decent singleplayer. But most CoD and BF single player campaigns are god awful (See Battlefield 3 and MW3) So no, they don't have tacked on multiplayer. The exact opposite, they have tacked on Single player. Next. you know perfectly well what I mean when I say "Story driven Singleplayer" I mean a game that's primary focus is (and should be) the telling and playing of the story. Tell me that the multiplayer for Spec Ops: the Line wasn't tacked on in an attempt to further increase sales and playtime of the game. Not only was it god awful, after 2 months, it was next to dead! give it a couple of months and the MP for Far Cry 3 will be all but empty because it does nothing special and people will drift back to their default answers for Multiplayer. And yeah, the GOTY release topped up the U3 servers a little. But the Uncharted 2 servers are no where near as full as they used to be.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Didn't plan to pick up this game, but this Special Edition sold it for me
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Saw the price and it was almost an instant buy. Then realised it's a controller skin. Knew it was too good to be true. XD Not really hyped for the game so cannot justify paying that much for it for now. Might change my mind nearer the time (and likely when I cannot get the pack anyways)
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Nice. Preorder in. Good to see more effort going into this than any of the Uncharted special edition releases.
Aminu 4 years ago
Its like developers today believe games will not survive without multiplayer. Some times it works, Uncharted for example, other times you can clearly see it was just tacked on. Hope Naughty dog prove everyone wrong with this one.
amd500's avatar
amd500 4 years ago
Really looking forward to this. Will definitely pick up the special edition now that they have become available.
JACOB 4 years ago
Hell yeaaahh!!! just preordered mine :D
JACOB 4 years ago
Hell yeaaahh!!! just preordered mine :D
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
I need to see and hear more about this game before I preorder as good as this edition appears. I find Uncharted to be horrendously overrated; terrible mp, 6 hour long over the top singleplayer. I fear the same will be present here
Robichoico's avatar
Slightly agree. I kinda got the vibe that this is 'Uncharted in a Post Apocalypse environment' Or at least it shows that it's the same developer and gameplay.
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Uncharted games have been 8-12 hours in single player, not 6. And Last of Us looking similar is inevitable as it uses the same game engine as Uncharted, but the gameplay is apparently significantly less focused on gunplay and relies heavily on character co-op (AI co-op seemingly). I'm expecting something closer to Enslaved than Uncharted to be honest.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
8-12 hours if you're using your feet instead of your hands when playing. UC games are very short, even on crushing
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Skiba's avatar
short never felt like that to me.
Skiba 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
I consider myself pretty skilled at these sorts of games and my save counter for Uncharted 1 after first completion on Normal says I was playing for around 8 and a half hours. Uncharted 2 was just over 11 hours and Uncharted 3 was 10 and a half hours or so. Can't speak for Golden Abyss as it doesn't track play time like that as far as I saw, but for comparison it's worth pointing to another third person action game that tracks play time stats: Vanquish. I finished it and I was apparently only playing it for 5 hours and 10 minutes. In fact the only comparable play time length I can recall offhand to Uncharted 2 in a third person actioner recently has been Hitman Absolution. I daresay the Uncharted games offer play times in the above average category all things considered.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
With regards to having multiplayer its not always down to the developer they are sometimes made to by the publisher.
Really interested in this game but i have still to play the Uncharted games
Robichoico's avatar
Wouldn't this be a better jumping on point than those four then?
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
You don't have to play any Uncharted game if you don't want to to enjoy this. Saying that though, they are worthwhile titles that cost peanuts most places these days.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I know but i'm talking form a gameplay standpoint since The Last of Us will be an evolution of Uncharted's gameplay
J-D's avatar
J-D 4 years ago
isn't there a elle version too?
marco antonio r 4 years ago
isnt there a Elle Version too? and i really would like buy The Last of Us Post-Pandemic Edition, but the damn game stop sells with exclusivity... damn it
Skiba's avatar
Skiba 4 years ago
sold game looks amazing.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
Im just going to stick with the normal version i think, im only intersted in the sight and sounds extra dlc. Also i to the people asking i think elle is a game exclusive sorry.
Garrick 4 years ago
I'm kind of tempted to pre-order it. Plus the comic sounds like it could be decent. Depends how much extra money I can scrape up.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
this is a reason im gutted to not own a ps3... looks brilliant
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
This looks freaking sweet
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Game are stocking the Ellie version by the looks of it and its £54.99 on there website.
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
I've been waiting to see what collector editions where coming and I'm defo wanting this one now,the game itself is looking mighty fine something to settle down on the sofa and play at night alone in the dark lol, seems so long away still from when I saw the first news on this still ingot tomb raider to keep me going, regarding mp I'm hoping it be the same as for tomb raider and be a separate part of the company dealing with that side.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
It is two seperate parts dealing with it. They said that no resources are taken away from either side, they've both just done their jobs. They wouldn't have added in MP if they didn't believe in it.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
James26's avatar
James26 4 years ago
Am I the only person that's not fussed about special/named/elite/etc editions of games?! I don't think I've ever bought a "special" version of a game unless it's one that is forced upon me (e.g. all standard editions were upgraded) or is one that came with free DLC.
Bhamkeyx's avatar
Bhamkeyx 4 years ago
I will propably settle for the normal version, not collectors edition. Even though it looks to be worth it, and the asking price is really good. Can't wait to see what Naughty Dog has done with this one, i'm sure it will be fun.
Afrododger's avatar
Afrododger 4 years ago
Aren't there two editions for this game now? Now it makes me want to buy the game twice! lol! I won't though, that would be silly... ^_^
fusearts's avatar
fusearts 4 years ago
This looks awesome, but I would much rather have physical items than downloadable content - art book, soundtrack, posters etc. I think the Bioshock 2 Special Edition was the ultimate edition - Massive hardback art book, vinyl, posters, soundtrack etc - Anyone agree? And by the way Sony, I don't put stickers on my controller.